The Fluval Spec V | I have to admit, it's getting better - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
The Fluval Spec V | I have to admit, it's getting better

Hello all, this is my second journal and I hope y'all enjoy.

So I decided to impulse buy a Fluval Spec V, and it has quickly become my new favorite project.

Equipment
  • Fluval Spec V
  • Finnex Planted +24/7
  • EcoComplete Black Substrate
Flora
  • Hydrocoytle Tripatria
  • Alternanthera Reinickii
  • Cryptocoryne Wendtii
  • Anubias Nana Petite
  • Cryptocoryne Balansae
  • Saggitaria Sp.
  • Java Fern

Fauna
  • 2 Ghost Shrimp
  • 2 Amano Shrimp

I started out by hardscaping with the rocks I bought at a local LFS, then planted, filled, put some ghost shrimp in, and waited for it to cycle! I seeded quite a bit of the filter media, so the tank is about cycled now.

I don't know what I plan on doing with the tank, I have the choice of Pea Puffers (which are advised to have 10 gallons), another dwarf shrimp tank, or a nano species. I'm leaning towards a deep blue variation neocardinia shrimp, unless somebody else has any recommendations with what to do. Stay Tuned!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160613_124708.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	642425  

Name:	IMG_20160613_124747.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	642433  

Name:	IMG_20160613_124715.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	642449  

Name:	IMG_20160601_154006.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	642457  

Go Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I did a pretty fair amount of research on pea puffers before I set up a species only 5 gallon nano with them. After finding and contacting someone who's had about 10 years of experience with them I decided on purchasing 3 females 2 males. One of the males died fairly quickly most likely as result of aggression from the other. The remaining 4 have been with me now for about a year.
I really enjoy them as they are very curious and intelligent fish.
That said they are my most challenging fish. I believe my particular setup has only succeeded thus far because of my particular stocking ratio and that the tank is full of plants. Also, they are specialized and messy feeders. My pea puffers will not accept frozen food of any kind. Their diet consists of live snails and mosquito larvae so I'm performing 50% water change on their tank once weekly. The last drawback is that they are mostly wild caught and I read that they will most of the time come with internal parasites. Mine were no exception, and displayed the tell tale sign of lumpy stomachs instead of the normal round smooth form. So I treated mine with a medicated food mix which required me to crush up the snails and immediately mix the meds and binder with the snail meat. This was done daily for 1 month and was not pleasant.
For all the work involved they are still one of my favorites to keep.

Can also check out Rachel O'leary's Youtube channel. She has several "species spotlight" focusing on nano fish.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
First Update:
I decided to go the shrimp route and decide on orange sakuras.
I bought the shrimp from somebody off aquabid, and the shrimp look very good. I added 12, and one died after the first day.

Overall the plants are doing very well. I'm struggling with a bit of GSA, which is especially plaguing my alternanthera. Some help would be much appreciated!

ph 8.0
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:~10

My photoperiod is around 8 hours
I dose 1 mL of Excel/Glut every day
I also began dosing Flourish- .5mL twice a week (have only dosed once so far)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160629_162908.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	648769  

Name:	IMG_20160629_162918.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	648777  

Name:	IMG_20160630_211627.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	648785  

Go Blue

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
For the algae try turning the photo period down, also you could build a platform for the light to sit on top of and raise it above the tank. I have my Finex Stingray sitting about 8" above the water on a little wooden platform on my spev v and its plenty of light for my Vals and Crypts
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've been using my Spec V for about 6 months now with multiple breeding cherry shrimp. I personally put some filter floss/filter material in the upper filter compartment to cover the back of the water intake grates. This will prevent the babies from getting sucked in.
Also the bottom slit (on the black panel) I would recommend stuffing/covering it because that is where most of the water is going into the filter. This will prevent babies from getting sucked in and force the water to come in only from the top and go through all of your filter media!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode