Iwagumi DSM kick off... - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By FrankB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Iwagumi DSM kick off...

Started a 22g long iwagumi inspired shrimp tank today with the dry start method. Here's to hoping everything goes smoothly, which it probably won't. I'm still trying to figure out how much excel I should use in my spray bottle to prevent algea, we will see I guess.

Oh Yea, I will be adding flame moss to the rocks and stargrass just around the rocks when Mt shipment arrives.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 03:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Iwagumi DSM kick off...

If you maintain moisture properly you shouldn't have to add Excel, as you will get algae if it's too wet. Don't get it so wet that the water goes above the substrate line. If you do get algae I would try and reduce the humidity rather than adding Excel. Only start using if it gets really bad I guess.
As for the scape, could you rotate the main stone to be vertical, as it isn't dominating enough for an Iwagumi right now in my opinion. Looks pretty good otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
If you maintain moisture properly you shouldn't have to add Excel, as you will get algae if it's too wet. Don't get it so wet that the water goes above the substrate line. If you do get algae I would try and reduce the humidity rather than adding Excel. Only start using if it gets really bad I guess.
As for the scape, could you rotate the main stone to be vertical, as it isn't dominating enough for an Iwagumi right now in my opinion. Looks pretty good otherwise.

Thanks for the advice! Right now I have no water in it besides what i sprayed with the water bottle. Do you recommend putting some in to just below the substrate line? I'll rotate the main rock and take some pics, appreciate it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Iwagumi DSM kick off...

No no just keep spraying to whatever routine you doing like daily or whatever hahaha. Don't put extra water, I meant don't spray water to such an extent that it pools and stuff. No worries man, it's what the forum's for. You also want to make sure you get good gas exchange, so there is adequate CO2, and to help prevent mold and fungus. I would open up the film for a few minutes each day to do so, or you could peel it back in a corner a little after a few days. What substrate are you using?
Disclaimer: I've never done a dry-start before, so the information I'm giving is what I've picked up from seeing other people do it successfully.
Edit: Whoops accidentally quoted the post, does anyone know how to delete it. Sorry OP.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Iwagumi DSM kick off...

Mistaken post, delete this somehow. Sorry.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
No no just keep spraying to whatever routine you doing like daily or whatever hahaha. Don't put extra water, I meant don't spray water to such an extent that it pools and stuff. No worries man, it's what the forum's for. You also want to make sure you get good gas exchange, so there is adequate CO2, and to help prevent mold and fungus. I would open up the film for a few minutes each day to do so, or you could peel it back in a corner a little after a few days. What substrate are you using?
Disclaimer: I've never done a dry-start before, so the information I'm giving is what I've picked up from seeing other people do it successfully.
Edit: Whoops accidentally quoted the post, does anyone know how to delete it. Sorry OP.

I'm using Fluval Stratum as substrate and Planted+ 24/7 for lighting.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Opare and Opare like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode