Experimental 40g - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Experimental 40g

So I am starting up an empty 40g that has sat in my room for probably 2 years.... I have never worked with a capped planted tank before so what I did first was (I live on a farm) go out to the field where the livestock corrals are cleaned out and left to mature to spread on the next years crops or the garden and I grabbed myself about a full 5g pail full of nice moist matured soil made from broken down manure, feed, and bedding and lay a nice 3" thick bed in the bottom of the tank

Now that I have a good thick base layer down I went outside and had a bag and a half left over play sand from my 130g prepared the sand and made a nice even cap on top of the soil and packed it down a little bit

Now I have a fluval G3 settling the tank and 2 50w heaters it's all running and we will see how well the water clears as it looks like watered down chocolate milk right now I plan on moving my diy paintball co2 system to the 40g after I get a 10lb bottle for my main tank. For right now all I have is a 30" power glo 25w t8... Which will be changed out for a 36" 54wx2 t5 HO AQUATIC LIFE fixture... As for plants I want a crazy carpet something with deep roots as I have aprox 2.5" of play sand cap... Want to maybe try to make a crazy scene from skyrim

130G tank, DIY paintball co2 injection, inline co2 reactor, Eheim 2217,fluval g6 Eheim pimp #437, 2x 54w 48" aquaticlife T5HO 3 300w heater, 3 bags play sand java fern, Microsorum pteropus 'narrow', Cryptocoryne wendtii 'tropica', Anubias barteri (nana,) Hygrophila difformis (wisteria), Sagittaria platyphylla, Rotala indica (Rotala roundifolia), Amazon sword 3 bala shark, 3 clown loach, 8 ottos, Red tailed black shark, 3 swordtails, Malasian trumpet snails

The Fraternity of Dirt #181
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tank is still extremely cloudy and settling... Have my fluval G3 running on it and I'm cleaning the mechanical every day, dirt I used hasn't seemed to leech into the water so that's a bonus!!! Trying to source a 36" light to be able to grow a crazy carpet

130G tank, DIY paintball co2 injection, inline co2 reactor, Eheim 2217,fluval g6 Eheim pimp #437, 2x 54w 48" aquaticlife T5HO 3 300w heater, 3 bags play sand java fern, Microsorum pteropus 'narrow', Cryptocoryne wendtii 'tropica', Anubias barteri (nana,) Hygrophila difformis (wisteria), Sagittaria platyphylla, Rotala indica (Rotala roundifolia), Amazon sword 3 bala shark, 3 clown loach, 8 ottos, Red tailed black shark, 3 swordtails, Malasian trumpet snails

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Picked up some Malasian trumpet snails to help with the gasses in my sand today!!! Bought some ottos for my main and got the snails for free! THANKS LFS

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'd use caution with adding live things for a while in this tank.
There likely will be a good supply of ammonia from the dirt for a while. This should be enough to cycle the tank for you.
Too much sand. Can still work out. Just that lots of carpet plants have rather short
roots compared to other plants. My DHG seems to have roots about 1.5-1.75" long.
Using E.I. ferts or a reduced level of it will prolong the life of the sub.
Some who have read an article somewhere might say that plants get 70% of their
nutrients from the roots. I might ask for a scientific source of this info but rather
than sound as though I'm ready to entertain a debate I'd rather just ask why not
provide the plants with the most opportunity to gather nutrients that you can.
If you want to avoid much algae I'd get the CO2 going first before I added two
T5 bulbs to that tank. Later if you think it can take it you can always add a single
bulb fixture from a horticulture source. It's not the intensity but rather the spread
of the fixture in a tank 18" that may need tweeking.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I'd use caution with adding live things for a while in this tank.
There likely will be a good supply of ammonia from the dirt for a while. This should be enough to cycle the tank for you.
Too much sand. Can still work out. Just that lots of carpet plants have rather short
roots compared to other plants. My DHG seems to have roots about 1.5-1.75" long.
Using E.I. ferts or a reduced level of it will prolong the life of the sub.
Some who have read an article somewhere might say that plants get 70% of their
nutrients from the roots. I might ask for a scientific source of this info but rather
than sound as though I'm ready to entertain a debate I'd rather just ask why not
provide the plants with the most opportunity to gather nutrients that you can.
If you want to avoid much algae I'd get the CO2 going first before I added two
T5 bulbs to that tank. Later if you think it can take it you can always add a single
bulb fixture from a horticulture source. It's not the intensity but rather the spread
of the fixture in a tank 18" that may need tweeking.
I just didn't want any chance of the dirt being disturbed under that sand.... Think I may have over done it though.... I don't plan on any fish that will dig.... Kinda wanted to try some shrimp.... Maybe some Rams, sword tails, ottos, don't know what else..... For plants I was thinking Monte Carlo, maybe some crypts and my sag out of my main since it's not doing so well

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I ended up purchasing a finnex planted plus 24/7 36" led light for this tank, since I have t5HO on my main I wanted to try LEDs can't wait until it gets here and I get it on the tank

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Can you guys positively I'd these snails if they are actually Malaysian trumpets??

And my tank is almost clear now!!!! Woo

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I placed some random driftwood and a few plants from my main into this tank mostly hygrophila difformis clippings(they were getting taller then I would like in my main tank), one little sag plant and an Amazon sword that wasn't doing so well in my main...

Last edited by gaga43; 06-15-2016 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Added pictures
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

got my new finnex planted+ 24/7 in the mail today and have it set up on my tank.. looks amazing and i really like the 24/7 feature does anyone actually use the 24/7

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaga43 View Post
got my new finnex planted+ 24/7 in the mail today and have it set up on my tank.. looks amazing and i really like the 24/7 feature does anyone actually use the 24/7
I have one on a low tech dirted 55 and I feel my plants grow better using the 24/7 mode. When I got it I set it to max and plants grew fine. A few months ago I switched to the 24/7 mode and things are definitely better.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

think im gonna be moving my sag from my main tank into this 40

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Finnex is now on the tank and I moved my sag!!

need some ideas for some taller plants in the back corrners and maybe some other carpet plant that will grow between the sag

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

added some clippings from my main tank!!

what is the proper way to clip and replant Hygrophila difformis (wisteria)
Ben Belton and Ben Belton like this.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Little update added some alternanthera reineckii 'pink' and ludwigia 'rubin' for some colors

Plants have seen some very good growth.... Can't seem to get my Amazon swords to grow very well in either tank but I put a baby crypt from my main in as well and it's sprouting new leaves daily
Monrankim and Monrankim like this.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 11:42 AM
Planted Member

Your tank is coming together nicely! Have you started co2 yet or Excel in the meantime? I use Excel myself and I'm happy with the results. Swords can take a while to bounce back after being moved, like Crypts. You could put some root tabs in to help the sword out. Osmocote plus, stuffed in OO gel capsules is the best way to go. Either that or Flourish Tabs. If you use the latter, don't go crazy with them. I have heard that if you don't have enough roots established to use up the tabs, the unused ferts get into the water column. I'm glad to see that you have MTS in there. I got mine for free at one of my LFS too. Your dirt is deep and they will be your friends in preventing anaerobic pockets. I would plant some heavy root feeding plants in there so the extensive root systems will add o2 into the substrate. The lack of o2 is what leads to problems with hydrogen sulfide.

Projects

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode