Justin's High Tech 75 Gallon Dream (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Justin's High Tech 75 Gallon Dream (56k warning)

So I've finally outgrown my 45 gallon long. I just can't deal with the lack of depth anymore. So I've started to assemble my new new tank!

Equipment so far:
75 Gallon All Glass Aquarium
Nova Extreme 4x54 watt T5HO with Moonlights
Fluval FX5
Aquajunior Controller
36 watt aquamedic uv
250 watt Jager Heater
All equipment is in a closed loop!
Aquamedic Reef Doser
T5HO Bulbs - 2 6700K, 2 10 000K
Cornelius body, Burkert Solenoid, Fabco needle valve, Clippard check valve

Working on getting:
Tunze ATO or equivalent

Hardscape:
Flourite Black
Locally collect rocks (currently soaking so I can test for buffering)

The tank is going to be open top with the Nova hung about 12" above the tank. I'm hoping this is going to work well for any plants I want to grow without being too bright.

I got a great deal on a new FX5 so I'm going to plumb everything inline with it. The output splits off into two 3/4" lines. One will be high pressure, one low. The high goes to the inline heater and back to the line to the tank. The other line goes through the co2 reactor, picks up ferts, goes through the uv and then back to the line to the tank.

I picked up my Co2 system from Yikesjackson!. Got a good deal on two setups.

The look I was originally going for is out the door. Cause I picked up a super cheap Osaka 90 setup!!! That tank is going to be a lower light tank and now this one is just going to be whatever it becomes. I'm not going to plan it, but instead just see where it goes.

Thanks, and I hope you guys have comments and suggestions. Pics to follow.

Justin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jcgd; 05-02-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Equipment list update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
i can't help you on the plumbing at all, but i have GLA's choice regulator and it works great, i don't find the needle valve wandering or anything wierd going on, i recommend it.

sounds like a nice mixture of bulbs, but im wondering if there will really be a difference in having 1 6700k bulb and if the white of the two 10k's will just overpower it. might as well having 2 plant & 2 10k right? does that make sense?

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That sounds like a good idea. I guess the two plant grows would be good for a sunrise/sunset scenario. I heavier hue of light and then stronger white for midday.

So I've been building my DIY stand for the last few days. I built a simple, typical 2x4 stand and I've just been adding some trim to it to make it look finished. I'm just going stain it and add some doors to the front and try to figure out a way to have the sides as removable panels. I'm just having a hard time figuring out a way to hang the panels. Ideas???

I'll post some pics tomorrow when I start firing the trim on. I hope it turns out.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Redid all the plumbing. Read above^^

Last edited by jcgd; 04-02-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Edit for wasted space
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update:

My stand is almost done. I just need to varnish it and then I'm ready to plumb it (Doors are waiting for more $$). I'm actually quite pleased with how it turned out. I used all cheap materials and the finish is actually quite pleasing. I really like how the natural grain of the wood is showing through so well.

One mistake I made was that I made the stand the perfect size to be flush with the trim on the tank. After finishing it and adding the trim I realized that if my stand wasn't nearly 100% square my tank wouldn't fit. I had a buddy over and we put the tank on the stand and Volla! It fit perfectly. Actually it was just perfectly snug in the trim. Turns out I was about 1/16th of an inch out over four feet. Not too shabby for a first time stand builder.

I build a stand out of 2x4s and then trimmed it in 4x1 pine and some fancy trim on the top to hide the black trim of the tank. However about 1/4" of the black tank trim still shows but it's good enough for me. You can see that some of the 2x4s stick out further than the trim but with doors installed you wont see it. Pretty much anything that isn't pretty wont be seen unless you open then doors.

I also picked up a used (for three days) Eheim universal 1260 pump rated for 635 gallons/hour. Hopefully it does the trick.

Here is boring shots of the tank and my Nova Extreme 4x54 watt HO fixture.

To hang my fixture I decided I am going to mount 3/4" EMT pipes with 90 degree bends to the back of my stand. I'm going to paint them black and use 1/16th aircraft cable to suspend the light about a foot of the tank. Should look pretty slick when I'm done.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Edited out**

Last edited by jcgd; 04-02-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Wasted space
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This tank is most definitely HIGH tech. I can't help myself, I just can't stop getting more cool stuff. I updated the equipment list in my first post.

I've got the plumbing in as described in the first post as well. That UV is about a foot bigger than I expected and waaaaay overkill but I'm only going to have it on for an hour or so a day. It should also have lots of dwell time to kill every nasty in the water.

I ordered an aquajunior controller with all the fixins so that should make my life easier. I was going to make a wassercontroller but I can't find an appropriate sprinkler controller. Anything I could find was so pricey it made more sense to spend 50 more bucks for the aquajunior.

My driftwood is on the way! Pics:

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Can you post a pic of that "Fluval XP5" ??? hmmm curious??????

75 gallon "Piranha Kingdom"- wet/dry, FX5, CO2, pH controller, T5HO 4x54, ferts, SunSun Pimp Club Lucky #11, Fluval Pimp Club #17
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sorry, FX5. Those fumes from the pvc glue must have went to my head!

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Does anyone know what the fern/palm growing out of the top of the inspiration tank picture is?

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (71/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justincgdick View Post
Does anyone know what the fern/palm growing out of the top of the inspiration tank picture is?
I'm not sure, but it looks like it could be Bolbitis
John
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
wow i'd never thought i'd see someone try to imitate my 2nd favorite tank of all time(I wish you luck). l believe you have the same light fixture as me (2 actinics and 2 10k's all 39w with the fan cord?). l too am wondering what kind of plant is on top of that tank so l can put it on my future project. The only obstacle that l faced before l changed my mind to not doing this tank was that l couldn't find any decent pieces of driftwood around locally. l know you can go online such as manzanita.com and order pieces but it's just not the same as picking them out yourself. Making a tank like this one has always been my ambition in this hobby so make me proud

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
Best of luck. I am sure this will be one worth watching.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
l almost forgot l was doing some re-search of that lovely tank of mr amano and l came across this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs6X2...eature=related
l got a feeling you might like it

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
l almost forgot l was doing some re-search of that lovely tank of mr amano and l came across this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs6X2...eature=related
l got a feeling you might like it
Wow, sweet video. Amano tanks are so amazing, they make me drool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
wow i'd never thought i'd see someone try to imitate my 2nd favorite tank of all time(I wish you luck). l believe you have the same light fixture as me (2 actinics and 2 10k's all 39w with the fan cord?). l too am wondering what kind of plant is on top of that tank so l can put it on my future project. The only obstacle that l faced before l changed my mind to not doing this tank was that l couldn't find any decent pieces of driftwood around locally. l know you can go online such as manzanita.com and order pieces but it's just not the same as picking them out yourself. Making a tank like this one has always been my ambition in this hobby so make me proud
I actually think I got that picture from one of your threads. I used to have it saved months ago but my GF deleted my folder so I lost it. Anyway, I was totally pumped when I found it again.

The driftwood was a bit of a risk, but badcopnofishtankfor has an awesome rep with his manzanita so I figured I'd give it a go. He was super fast and found exactly what I was looking for. Nice prices too. I can't wait for it to arrive.

I'm thinking I am being very very ambitious with the design, but I love that tank. For my flora I am thinking something like lots of java fern (maybe narrow or lace or both!), lots of bolbitis, some vals and lots of moss. I'm probably going to go for tawian moss but I might try to get a bunch of varieties. I might also try to add a foreground of hairgrass and maybe micro sword or green wendetti crypts as well as lots of anubias. I want to leave lots of open sandy space though. I am pumped to have an open top and I'm going to try to have lots of fern grow emersed as well as the wood sticking out.

My aquajunior controller and wood should be here this week. And I'm picking up a aquamedic doser on friday. I just need to find an ATO, sand and a heater. I might have found a used Tunze ATO, so hopefully that deal goes through.

BTW Shadow, what is your #1 favorite tank? We seem to have similar tastes so now I'm curious.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode