The Betta Crypt - 10gal low tech - 8/9 finally got a betta! (super red HMPK) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
The Betta Crypt - 10gal low tech - 8/9 finally got a betta! (super red HMPK)

Since my old 10gal started leaking and bit the dust several months back, I'm finally just now getting around to setting up a new one to replace it. Here's a few pics of the old tank, RIP!

I'm going to use the same inspiration pictures of Thai jungle streams:

The main thing I'm taking from these pics is the rocky stream and overhanging jungle- which will be assorted Crypts. I'm also going to try clumps of Lilaeopsis mauritiana mixed around in the rocks for a grassy look.

Here's the setup:

10gal tank
Standard 15 watt T8 flourescent hood
Rena XP1
Flourite black sand
Black rocks

I've rinsed the sand and started the initial rock arrangement. I'm waiting now for things to settle and then I'll play around with the rocks a bit more and then start the planting with some Crypts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lauraleellbp; 08-09-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 11:38 PM
sandie

looking forward to seeing this,your other tanks are beautiful
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Thanks, Sandie!

I've ordered some assorted Crypts for the tank, including some C. parva, and also I'm going to try clumps of Lilaeopsis mauritiana in between the rocks like in the first inspiration picture.

I went ahead and ordered from www.SweetAquatics.com so I could get a few pots of C. parva.

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Here's the initial layout. I need to make the "river" a bit smaller and leave some more room for planting, though.

post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
I like the pyramid look of the rocks, but I agree more room for plants. Can't wait to see this tank unfold
Your pal,

Piano

post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Tiny bit of progress.

I'm waiting for the plant order from www.SweetAquatics.com to come in now to finish it out.

I should probably go ahead and get the filter set up though, now that I think about it... lol

post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Still haven't put the filter on the tank... the plan right now is the same XP1 I had on there before. I'm a bit worried it may be too much flow for a fancy betta, though... I'll see once I get to that point.

Got the email that my Sweet Aquatics order shipped out today.

post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
The plan right now is the same XP1 I had on there before. I'm a bit worried it may be too much flow for a fancy betta, though... I'll see once I get to that point.
Considering that Betta's don't need filter seems it would be easier to not use a filter. If it is for the plants you want a filter a powerhead by Zoo Med would work for they make one that you can adjust the flow.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

The long-finned fancy bettas don't like alot of flow, but they'll benefit from a filtered tank just as much as any other fish...

I'm going to try the XP1 and see how it works. I really dislike powerheads, I like keeping as much equipment out of the tank as possible. I'll probably go with a Tom Rapids canister or a small HOB if the XP1 is too much.

post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

The Sweet Aquatics order came in today as expected. The Crypts don't look as nice as they did the first time I ordered from them, but they'll work. The L. mauritiana looks nice (I think I should have stuck with only one pot instead of two LOL), the C. parva is OK, plus I got 2 pots each of C. wendtii 'red' and C. undulata.

I'm waiting for a package to come in from another hobbyist before finishing the planting. This package has some more unusual Crypt species, and I want to wait and see what they look like before I decide which crypts are going in this tank vs. my 46gal.

I've got some Hygro angustifolia I may stick in the back corner... not sure yet on that one.

I've also noticed that my light fixture has developed a rather annoying hum. I may replace it. I've got a glass canopy for this tank lying around somewhere... I might try and put the fixture directly on top of that rather than using the hood setup, this might get more light to the front of the tank.

post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I've noticed that my light fixture has developed a rather annoying hum. I may replace it.
I wonder if that could be the ballast? For I had heard the hum noise from a fluorescent light in a kitchen in an apartment I rented years ago. I think they fixed it with a unit. If so replacing it would probably be cheaper and quicker than buying a new light system.
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

It might be a few dollars cheaper, but I'm not comfortable with electrical DIY, so if I replace it I'll just get a new fixture. I imagine the difference won't be more than $10.

post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
It might be a few dollars cheaper, but I'm not comfortable with electrical DIY, so if I replace it I'll just get a new fixture. I imagine the difference won't be more than $10.
I think they replaced the unit like replacing a light bulb. Have noticed some light fixtures, in a pet store, have the ballast in an easy to reach place.
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
The Sweet Aquatics order came in today as expected. The Crypts don't look as nice as they did the first time I ordered from them, but they'll work. The L. mauritiana looks nice (I think I should have stuck with only one pot instead of two LOL), the C. parva is OK, plus I got 2 pots each of C. wendtii 'red' and C. undulata.

I'm waiting for a package to come in from another hobbyist before finishing the planting. This package has some more unusual Crypt species, and I want to wait and see what they look like before I decide which crypts are going in this tank vs. my 46gal.

I've got some Hygro angustifolia I may stick in the back corner... not sure yet on that one.

I've also noticed that my light fixture has developed a rather annoying hum. I may replace it. I've got a glass canopy for this tank lying around somewhere... I might try and put the fixture directly on top of that rather than using the hood setup, this might get more light to the front of the tank.
Time to upgrade to MH for this tank then. Can't wait to see it planted.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Looking good can't wait to see more pictures

What are the crypts you got in the first picture? they look awesome...

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode