Ghetto shrimp and guppy tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ghetto shrimp and guppy tank

I decided I want a shrimp and guppy breeder tank, mainly to produce food for my other tank. Patience not being one of my stronger virtues (I know, I'm gonna need it in this hobby!) I whipped something together from pieces I had laying around. Nice huh!

I'll have to clean it up, as it's in our bedroom and the wife won't tolerate this for long. I can't believe how expensive 10g canopies are! Might try to cut this one down to fit. Made the filter out of some sponge, a piece of tubing, and a pump w/an airstone. Picked up some Java Fern and Java Moss today. Lighting comes from a state-of-the-art housing with a 40w GE Reveal bulb. Substrate is EcoComplete from my 55g, so there shouldn't be much of a cycling period. I threw some guppies in there to aid with cycling, and hopefully will breed. Once I've got some decent ground cover, I'll add the RCS.

The heater that I had laying around is one of those pre-set deals and looks like it's gonna hold this tank around 74-75 degs (maybe higher with a hood in place?). Think that will be too cold for the shrimp or guppies?

Anyways, I'm sure the AHOA (Aquarium Home Owners Assoc) will be breathing down my neck to make some improvements. I'll post when I do.

Aaron

My Journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jebao Canister Filter Pimp #1!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've got some dry ferts for my other tank, but I was wondering if I should put some in this one? Low light, and all I have in there right now is some Java fern and Java moss.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

P.S. I got a new hood for it, so it's not so ghetto now!

My Journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 04:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great title for the thread. love the light

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

lol, I finally got a hood that fits with light built right into the thing! Looks much better, might have to change the title. Maybe I should 'scape it with broken cars, trash can fires, and garbage just so I can keep the title!

Aaron

My Journal

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update:

Finally got some plants in there. A week ago, I picked up a small bunch of java moss and a piece of mopani w/ jafa ferns and moss. If someone know what those plants are in the back, let me know. The LFS said they're 'good low light plants'. That was good enough for me.

Yesterday at the auction, I scored a bunch! of java moss (hard to see in pic, but covers the entire bottom with about 3-4") 10 RCS, and one mystery fish (very small fry came with the shrimp).

Sorry for crappy pics. I'll dig out the real camera and macro lens later. I can't believe how entertained I am with this tank! I love watching those shrimp cruise about doin' their thing. Almost makes me wonder why I spend so much on the hight tech setup....

Aaron

My Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode