1 Gallon Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 Gallon Journal

Thought Id get this started this is my little 1 gallon nightstand tank.

This is 5 minutes after posting. Flora is Crypt Wendtii bronze and Crypt parva. Simple CFL bulb used for decorative fixtures like ceiling fans or chandelier lights its the only thing that would fit. So my options are kind of limited and why its going to stay a low tech tank.

When I put the rock pieces in I tried all sorts of ideas. I've been a lurker on the nano forum for quite a bit and kept thinking about the ideas there. After an hour of trying different things I stuck with this idea and said to quite Chris Farley "Ooh I'm sorry, I don't speak Japanese"

I had to tear down my other tanks so this is it for the time being so have nothing to seed it from. It was an impulse purchase when I saw it on clearance I just had to have it. The food is there to help create an ammonia source till I can locate some ammonia to get this little tank cycled. Somethings better than nothing and thats what the little brown pellets are.

Plan is to put some moss on the tuffa rock and add more parva. No CO2 will eventually start dosing with Flourish and possibly Excel still waiting to see how the plants are doing. There are Seachem substrate tabs underneath both Crypts and they seem to be doing well.

****24 hrs later******

Ammonia is .025
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
pH 7.4

The wendtii has righted itself it was growing at a 50* angle as the pot was just resting on the substrate from the tank I bought it from. I've moved the tuffa rocks over about 1/2" to the left, and moved the right side of the rocks back a bit at more of angle and the parva about 1/2" to the right.

Plan is to put something in the gap under the wendtii, since its growing up and not up and out. What thats going to be I'm still not sure yet. Maybe more parva....and leave the substrate open, or maybe let the parva fill slowly spread and use it as a foregrond plant. Maybe a moss ball or some moss on a rock, maybe some petite nana....don't know yet.

So far its a fun little tank to dabble with. Thank you for viewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
pretty cool. I think it would look really good with sand substrate too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
What's the floating things? Same for the intake of your filter.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
What's the floating things? Same for the intake of your filter.
I'd like to know as well, it looks like some type of fertilizer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think those beige pellets are the fish food that the OP mentioned he is using to help cycle the tank with.

Tony

My

and my

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes the floating things and the things on the intake are old cichlid pellets. I dont have a source of ammonia yet so I figured I'd at least get things started with some decaying food. Not ideal but its better than nothing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
What kind of fish/shrimp were you planning on keeping by the way?

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Id thought about doing a betta, or a few male guppies, or cherry shrimp not sure though...haven't decided yet.

Updated pics ammonia is already at 3.0ppm at the 48hr mark so we're making progress.

Sorry couldn't resist....

Left side

Right side

FTS

Last edited by Aidan77; 03-21-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode