60x45x45 rimless braceless starphire tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf
60x45x45 rimless braceless starphire tank

So she finally arrived, not without issue but the less said about that here the better.
The tank is amazing, really really good silicone work, immaculate really.
Here's my first scape, nothing too special, just seeing what works where. I've already learnt that Mazatania is very brittle!

Equipment wise I plan to run:
Diy led, slowly getting there, still doing research, the market moves so fast!Till that's built 2x24 luminaire.
1x ex1200 1x e1500 total turnover 2700lph or 24x volume an hour. Plenty of flow.
Pressurised co2, inline diffuser, should be in the post...

Expect loads of pictures, all terrible, very shortly!
In the mean time, feel free to critique and comment away, be as ruthless as you like, I would! :lol:

Last edited by garuf; 03-26-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Looks fantastic garuf. Do you intend to maintain such a steep slope in there? And is that manzanita from PlantedBox.com? And who manufactured the tank? I'll be interested to hear more about that DIY LED build.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, Devin.
Yeah I always go with pretty steep slops I've found that while using clay based substrates you can pretty happily have your substrate at around 45 degrees as long as you have good root mass. Since this is probably much less, raising around 15cm over a 30cm distance I imagine it will be fine. I intend to use crypts which are pretty good at the whole keeping stuff in place game.

Yes the Mazi is from Pb, James and Mark are really good guys and have treated me super well with all of the equipment and needs. I just hope I can borrow some of their talent and do it justice. I wouldn't mind Marks camera skills, mine are so poor it's embarrasing.

The tank is by Aquariums LTD, it's a nice tank but I had an issue where the stand arrived damaged and I had to re attach it on the opposite side of the stand since the original side was so badly wrenched damaged no screw would hold the weight of the door.

Regarding the LED luminaire I've been hording information for the last 6 months or so, it'll be a 21 led luminaire mounted on, providing I can find one, an ex industrial heat sink each string of 7 leds will be spread to give me chance to shift between levels of light without light pooling and be powered by ideally a silent (fanless) ATX power supply. The only part I haven't really resolved in my head is how I'd control each string of led's on timers without having to use 3x atx's which would be very energy negligent.
The only other thing would be the heatsinks, if I can't find a suitable large on then I'd use multiple little ones thermal greased to the LED mount to give maximum heat dispersion. In an ideal world I'd like to run fanless on the luminaire but I don't think this will be an option unfortunately.
In the meantime I plan to grow out the plants under 48 watts of t5, this gives 1.6wpg which after seeing Toms 60Gallon cube with 110w or 1.7wpg has bouyed what I feel should be possible and I think should be just about enough to grow out anything, I can't be too sure though, I'll consceed that all my tanks have all had closer to 1 watt per litre than one watt per gallon so I'm breaking new ground. If any one has any input on this lower light level I'd be more than welcome to hear it.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

A much better photo which give a better idea of the masses of depth and the 'choatic' wood and rock placement.

Tank in-situ, The fairy lights aren't my intervention, Gf's are very persuasive creatures.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Had a fidldle with the rocks, tried to make more use of the depth. Didn't really work. I liked what I had so I tried to keep it much the same and I think that's been the stumbling block.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Nice! This is going to look great! What kind of plants are you planning on?

Cinderblock walls, stickers everywhere, and girlfriend lights could only mean one thing..... You are at the greatest place on earth..... COLLEGE!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yup, University all the way. Second year but had a bad turn with bullying flatmates and had to go back into halls.

Plants wise I don't know, bolbitits and narrow leaf are the only plants I really know. I want to use anubias again but I dunno what. Most likely petite or the slightly bigger bonsai.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Sweet looking scape, looking forward to seeing this one come together.

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I can't take the taunting! Fill this bad boy up. The hardscape is gorgeous, I'd love to see some crypts in there.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

No water yet, Not happy with it just quite. I want to add more intricate rock work along the front and balance the wood a bit more. That and I've gotta save for the plants. Typical student really.

Just a quick pair to try and highlight how it's constructed and the depth I have to deal with. It should give a nice amount of variation for contrasting/complimenting plant choices. Tropica have just announced a load of new plants that will be hitting mine, and the worlds shores in the late summer so I'll no doubt want to have space for those!
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 06:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Nice start! Can't wait to see it filled and planted By the way I love those fairy lights
Are you gonna leave the front bare bottom?

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

By bare do you mean not planted or just glass? I intend for the front to be a white sand foreground with graded gravels leading into the planting.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by garuf View Post
By bare do you mean not planted or just glass? I intend for the front to be a white sand foreground with graded gravels leading into the planting.
I meant just glass But I see what you trying to do, sounds cool can't wait to see more

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

You know what I've always found to be really attracitve, is the plain sand foreground that's the colour of the ADA Nile sand. Not to promote that specific product, but that colour I've always liked. I've always found white, because it's so clean and pure, is so bright,and the tiniest bit of off colouring detracts from it.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Cheers Searun, Thanks for the tip.
I won't be using any ADA products on this tank. The price has gone through the roof in the UK and they really aren't worth it at the end of the day. The sand I have is a silica play sand, it's sort of a tan colour, I'd say it's probably closest to Ash, (the wood). I can custom mix sand from other pet shop brands to suit, I simply don't ever want to spend 40 ($75) on a bag of sand!

I tore the scape down and redid the rocks just tonight, will snap some photos, I don't think it's an improvement but it's much more intricate. Which is probably a mixed blessing.

Tags
ada, nature aquarium, rimless, starphire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode