My 55gal "Learning Curve" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
My 55gal "Learning Curve"

Ok, here goes nothin'. So, I started this project in Feb and this is my first planted tank. I started with some sems of cabomba and red ludwigia. the red ludwigia grew slowly but surely. The cabomba grew like a beautiful weed (i thought, man i'm good at this plant thing), almost reaching the top of the tank, then it melted away 3/4 of the way up the stems. (not such a good aquatic gardener after all. Despite my minor setback, I'm still very excited about this project. I'm ready to take this on and move on from the fake stuff. Any suggestions or comments are welcome!
Current pics included, but first-

My current setup:

55 standard
2 aquaticlife 2X54w T5 fixtures
marineland c-360 (no carbon)
rena 300w heater
aquariumplants.com's ultimate co2 system with reactor 5000
milwaukee controller
10lb co2 tank
3 parts eco-complete, 1 part flourite
some DW and slate

floura:

red ludwigia
cabomba (never give up)
1 amazon sword
micro sword narrowleaf
cryptocoryne undulata
giant hairgrass
2 java fern
4 moss balls (couldn't help myself, they're so cool )

livestock:

6 oto
6 redeye tetra
5 juilii cory
1 crown beta

Right Side

Left side

full tank shot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75g “Skull Island” | 5g Top Fin Engage | 3 gal vase

Zoo Med Small Tall Vivarium
Fraternity of Dirt #168

Last edited by knm<><; 04-13-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 03:30 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Very nice tank. I love the driftwood layout in here. I love those marimo balls, too.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
so far so good. so many different plants.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Very nice tank. I love the driftwood layout in here. I love those marimo balls, too.
Thanks! I must have arranged the 2 pieces of wood a hundred times before I decided on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrax07 View Post
so far so good. so many different plants.
thanks, i know, it's so hard not to try them all at once!
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Algae Grower

Very nice looking tank. I like the driftwood placement as well. Keep up the good work!

5.5G - Low-Tech Planted
20G - Nano Reef
55G - African Cichlids and Tons of Java Ferns
160G - Central/South American Cichlids
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 04:43 PM
sandie

Very nice setup, just wait till your marimo balls start floating. My dogs stare at the tank when mine float and I know they are thinking of ways to play with them...
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandie View Post
Very nice setup, just wait till your marimo balls start floating. My dogs stare at the tank when mine float and I know they are thinking of ways to play with them...
They float? I've never seen that before. Have you ever heard of these being dismantled and attached to anything, or is this the ball form pretty much the only way they grow?
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Algae Grower

Looks great.... it makes me not want to post mt pics until I get more plants and wood. lol
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, one of my Java ferns is a mama!

Does anyone know how big these little plantlets should be before you detatch them from the main plant? also, how would I go about doing that, do I cut the whole leaf off?
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Question

UH OH!! Green water!!!! reducing to 108 watts instead of 216, shortening to 8 hours of light...

Any other suggestions or should this do the trick for me???
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I am getting the same thing on my java fern not sure what to do on that one. How is your co2 what ppm you got in there? Also what are you dosing? Green water you will need to shut down the lights and cover it for 2days or more do a nice 50% water change and you should fix that green water. I had some luck with 216w for 8hours but you will have to have a lot of co2 and dose a lot of ferts only thing I got was dust algae and spot on the plants now I run 108w for 7hours and 216w for 1hour.

Filstar pimp#48

24g Aquapod 60w led Pressurized co2 paintball system DIY blacked out stand

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I feel your pain here, i had just set up my tank and added co2 when greenwater bombed me. After 2 weeks of various methods including blackouts, intensive waterchanges, and even a flocculent in desperation, nothing happened. I was about to give up when I finally got the fix. Hydrogen peroxide will fix your tank in a matter of days. Just be careful with any vascular plants as they tend to be more sensitive. I poured 1.5 mL per gallon for four days and it was gone (make sure you dont do a major waterchange in this time). Good luck!!!
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 01:40 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
You can pull the Java baby off as soon as you like or let it detach itself. I've done both, it you let it go, you'll probably see more babies to follow.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
You can pull the Java baby off as soon as you like or let it detach itself. I've done both, it you let it go, you'll probably see more babies to follow.
Thanks for the info. I think I'll let nature take it's course on this one. Not sure what I'll do with the little guys after they detach. I don't have another tank at the moment. Maybe this is a good excuse to expand. Hope the wife doesn't read this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan8768 View Post
I feel your pain here, i had just set up my tank and added co2 when greenwater bombed me. After 2 weeks of various methods including blackouts, intensive waterchanges, and even a flocculent in desperation, nothing happened. I was about to give up when I finally got the fix. Hydrogen peroxide will fix your tank in a matter of days. Just be careful with any vascular plants as they tend to be more sensitive. I poured 1.5 mL per gallon for four days and it was gone (make sure you dont do a major waterchange in this time). Good luck!!!

I think I'm gonna try this method. I hope I don't kill anybody or anything! I'll let everbody know how this goes in a few days. To prevent future outbreaks, I think I'll invest in a good UV steralizer, any opinions on which one to get for a 55g?
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEINEKEN357 View Post
I am getting the same thing on my java fern not sure what to do on that one. How is your co2 what ppm you got in there? Also what are you dosing? Green water you will need to shut down the lights and cover it for 2days or more do a nice 50% water change and you should fix that green water. I had some luck with 216w for 8hours but you will have to have a lot of co2 and dose a lot of ferts only thing I got was dust algae and spot on the plants now I run 108w for 7hours and 216w for 1hour.
Not sure what my co2 ppm is, I'm using a milwaukee ph controller with my co2 and it's set to keep my ph at 7.0

When it's on its pumping about 1.5 bps...at least thats how im translating this regulator from aquariumplants.com...it says seconds per bubble.

The only ferts im using so far are Flourish once a week and flourish tabs. I just started the ferts this week. maybe i'll bump up to 2 times a week and see what happens after I try the hydrogen peroxide fix.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode