60cm Do!aqua First Planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
60cm Do!aqua First Planted tank

About 2 years ago I stumbled on AFA's website and caught my first glimpse of Mr. Amano's works of art. Since then I decided that I would some day have a planted tank. I have been keeping marine tanks for years and honestly had very little experience with fresh water (a basic walmart 10gal for about 2 months). Work has been stressful lately and I decided that it was time to setup a tank on my desk to calm me down and stumbled on this forum. A few months later I got my tax return and it seemed like all the pieces had fallen in place and it was time to give it a shot. Some time in my research I stumbled on this picture and it has been my inspiration:

Here is what I ended up using:

Tank: 60cm Do!aqua (~17US Gal)
Lights: 2x 24watt T5 retrofit with individual reflectors. 6500k Coralife bulbs.
Filter: Marineland C-160 canister
Heater: Hydor ETH-200 inline
Substrate: 1 x small bag of ADA Power Sand Special
1 x 9L bag of ADA Amazonia II regular size (only used about 7L of it)
1 x 3L bag of ADA Amazonia II powder
CO2: Milwake regulator with Paintball canaster adapter, off brand diffuser from ebay
Inflow: ADA Metal Jet Pike V-1
Outflow: Do!aqua Poppy Glass PP-1
Plants: 4 x Hemianthus callitrichoides
4 x Lilaeopsis novae

I didn't plan it out very well and ended up making multiple orderes from the same place which was dumb on my part but on 3/10/10 the plants arived and I was able to get it started. Here is a picture of the hardscape pre anything:

Plants delivered!

Planting HC is a pain in the butt!

Micro Sword going in.

all aboard! (sorry about the flash I miss my DSLR)

Full of water after a night of filtering, this is what we have

And todays, 1 week progress shot

I am starting to see a little bit of fuzz algae so I have upped the CO2 and added a few red crystal shrimp, I am hopping that its just a little bit of new tank syndrome

At the end of the day it makes for a pretty tranquell environment

As I stated before, this is my first attempt, so if you have any constructive critisizm I would love to hear it. Also if anyone knows a better way to keep the algae under control I would appreciate the input.

Branden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
I'd be careful with adding crystal red shrimp, they're pretty sensitive. Also, the only shrimp that makes a significant impact on algae is the amano shrimp. As long as you don't have any fish, you can really up the CO2 and get some good growth. The rock arrangement looks great, just remember that once the HC grows in that they're going to look smaller and that rock just left of the center of the tank might disappear. Very clean setup, one of the best beginner tanks I've seen. You definitely did your research.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
It looks great but your rocks are too small for what you are going for. They will get covered up by your plants. I also think it looks better if they are closer to half the height of the tank.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I definitely wish that I had a better rock selection, I went to a few landscaping places around town and could not find anything that looked remotely interesting. I ended up getting these from my LFS and they were the biggest pieces they had that had some character to them. I am thinking about a road trip to the west coast and if I do I will most likely buy some rock from AFA just to have around for next time. Similar story with the shrimp, my LFS said that they have not been able to get amano shrimp for a while, and while I would be alright with ordering them from some other place I would only want ~10 and when you factor in the minimum order and shipping they get pricy fast, I just put the red crystals in to try and keep the algae under control. I will def be stocking up on amano's when they are availible (small town blues).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Algae Grower

Very promising tank

I think that the only thing would be to find a way to make the stones work more for your scape. Sometimes youd be surprised at how just re-arranging them brings out their shape. Over all I would say that your tank beautiful and that is shows some incredible potential. Would make amano very proud young grasshopper.

Also I love your office, nothing goes better with a fish tank sleek dark wood furniture and apple computers.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Also, you may want to add a bit more substrate in the back right corner, giving it that slope where you can 'raise' the plants up a bit higher

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode