This is my journal for my 75 gallon low tech tank. I started this tank on January 29th, 2010. Please feel free to leave me comments, suggestions, or questions. First I will list all the details of the tank and then show you some pics from start up until the most recent photos I took today. I am working with a basic HP digital camera so please forgive me on quality. My pics are nice, just not "professional" nice.
Let me start with the all the equipment (I know it's boring...you want pics!):
75 Gallon All-Glass Aquarium with Glass Top
Aqueon Triple Tube T8 Fixture - All three bulbs are 6700k and 32 watts each
Rena XP3 filter using spraybar with the following setup:
- Bottom tray - 2 Rena coarse pads and 2 fine pads
- Middle tray - A bunch of ceramic rings and half the bio-stars that came with the filter, a filter bag of crushed coral for kH and pH buffering, and then poly floss filling up a lot of the extra room.
- Top tray - The bottom half with the rest of the bio stars and some more rings, the top half with a 100ml bag of purigen, some more floss, and topped off with a Rena Micro-Filtration Pad.
Rena Smart Heater 300 watts
Hydor Koralia 2 Powerhead ( 600 gph) placed on opposite side of tank from spraybar.
Original Seachem Flourite (about a 3" deep bed throughout)
Now I also dose dry fertilizers every so often. I don't seem to have a real schedule with it. (I know that is not good) I try to dose KNO3, KH2PO4, and K2SO4. I don't really do micros anymore. I have root tabs if needed for heavy root feeders but everythings seems fine right now. I occasionally put either a small dose of Plantex CSM+B or just a bit of Equilibrium for the trace elements and I seem to be alright.
Water Parameters (last time I checked, don't know when):
Water Temp - 80 degrees Fahrenheit
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 15 ppm
pH - 6.6
KH - 4
GH - 8
The fish in the tank right now as of today:
9 Harlequin Rasboras
8 Cardinal Tetras
2 German Rams
1 Dwarf Gourami (soon to be iso'ed, seems to be a little sick)
And a whole mess of MTS to help aerate my flourite.
Plants include as of today:
Java Fern (Regular, Needle, and a tiny bit of Windelov)
Vallisneria (pretty sure just americana)
Various Crypts (need some ID's)
Some Duckweed and Frogbit for floating plants
I think that sums it up pretty much for now. Let me put some pics up in chronological order from start up to present day. I'll post pics up in a second post, this is long enough. I'll have them up in 5 minutes.