60 Cube using S. porto velho foreground and Bald Cypress - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
60 Cube using S. porto velho foreground and Bald Cypress

This tank has gone through a few different changes, but has settled in. I'd originally wanted some finer foreground leaf shapes, but the plecos would have none of that, this plant does not uproot and and allows a nice understory place for the plecos to grub around and the RCS to pick and clean anything missed by the plecos. I have 15 caves made into this piece of wood for the plecos(Leopard frog). the brass tetras are about 2 years old, this is as big as they get, very pretty and excellent schooling, lively fish. Maybe 100 RCS in here. Simple display, but low light + easy care, makes it a nice tank.

Good current, flourite sand, wet/dry filter, 1.7 w/gal and about 30 micromols along the bottom.

Recently send a basket ball sized piece of bolbitus off for sale, and about 50 dwarf hygros. 30 RCS are culled about once every month or two from the filter.

Now if I can get some Leopard frog fry or have some tetras' spawn, I'm in good shape.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
That looks real nice.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It's real nice because it's real easy
For awhile, I though it was too low light. I got a tinge of BBA and some so so growth.

It was CO2.
A very slow adjustment over 2 months targeted just enough.
I had it growing great at my old place, but then moved too everything down and needed to start the whole thing over again. Some tanks are a PITA with CO2, some just started fine and dandy, nothing obvious either way till algae/poor growth etc. Then some CO2 tweaking, then all the tanks look like they did and do well.

regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Is this the tank that had the congo tetras in it before? It looks great either way, reminds me of the pictures of mountains you see with a forest canopy abutted to it and some more loose foliage off the top. Awesome piece of wood and awesome tank in general.

Simple tanks are the best :hihi
-Andrew
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love what you have done with this tank Its such a simple design, but so pleasing to the eye. I am currently starting up my 60 cube right now, and your tank is definitely inspiration for me.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hill View Post
Is this the tank that had the congo tetras in it before? It looks great either way, reminds me of the pictures of mountains you see with a forest canopy abutted to it and some more loose foliage off the top. Awesome piece of wood and awesome tank in general.

Simple tanks are the best :hihi
-Andrew
No, this is an entirely different tank and less "full", more open.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
At first glance l thought it was gda on the glass but then noticed the co2 on the side lol.

----gauny----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
At first glance l thought it was gda on the glass but then noticed the co2 on the side lol.
I do not remove everything for the pics

Then add lots of light on top of that, this causes intense pearling however

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ahh gotcha i'm going to have to try that one of these days.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I am in the process of building myself an acrylic 60cm. I thought that that form factor was quite unique; however, this is the second 60cm i have seen in as many days. I want to do mine as a center focal point of my basement tv room. meaning that it will be viewable from 5 sides.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey Tom, how big do those Leopard Frogs Pleco's get, and how deep does the Porto Velho root? It just seems like the PV is really dense, and I'd be scared of big pleco's messin it.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Really love this cube, and that piece of wood is just great, nice job!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post
Hey Tom, how big do those Leopard Frogs Pleco's get, and how deep does the Porto Velho root? It just seems like the PV is really dense, and I'd be scared of big pleco's messin it.
They are full sized at about 4".
No big in other words.
Nice fish for planted tanks.

The plant roots well, not as well as 049.
I really do not like this plant in this tank, but use for lack of alternatives that are more suitable.

I do no want 049, because I have more than enough already.

This plant is more suited to this type of grouping:

I just trimmed the plant for the photo in th 60 Cube, it was 8" deep prior and covered 1/2 the wood along with the basket ball piece of Bolbitus I also removed.

Gloss might do okay, I'm mulling that one still.
They will pull it up some.
Not this plant though.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajata View Post
I am in the process of building myself an acrylic 60cm. I thought that that form factor was quite unique; however, this is the second 60cm i have seen in as many days. I want to do mine as a center focal point of my basement tv room. meaning that it will be viewable from 5 sides.
Get a center overflow and then glue cork or rock etc, wood on the overflow and attach moss, ferns etc to the overflow then.

This will avoid any surface scum, keep O2 very high, provide good current patterns etc.

You can do an ADA lily pipe thing, not sure that is that good, bad for surface scum, worst when it comes to targeting flow patterns, you are stuck, and cleaning them in a PITA.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Are those high end pencilfish(Nannostomus mortenthaleri) that are hard to come by? in that last picture?

----gauny----

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode