Katie's 60 Cube (Re-start) Starting From Scratch... New Pics! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Katie's 60 Cube (Re-start) Starting From Scratch... New Pics!

This is my first attempt at a high tech planted tank, so if anyone has any suggestions for me along the way I would love to hear them

Tank: 60g Cube (24x24x24 inches)
Light: Catalina 4x24 watt T5HO
C02: Pressurized (Building my own system)
Substrate: EcoComplete
Hardscape: Manzanita branches
Plants: Pygmy Chain Sword, Hygrophila Angustifolia, Dwarf Onion Plant, Giant Hairgrass, Moneywort, Echinodorus cordifolius
Fish: Angelfish, Von Rio Flame Tetras, Bristlenose Plecos, Sterbai Cories, Apistogramma Viejita
Heater: Visitherm Stealth Heater
Filtration: Rena XP2

I just got my plant shipment today. The fish should be coming within the next few days as well. I am not totally happy with the layout yet. I need to get something else for the foreground. Also, I'll be able to arrange it better as everything starts growing in...

Here are some pics so far:

Let me know what you guys think so far. Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited by MissMTS; 07-22-2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Change Title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would maybe try a black background to add depth and make it seem bigger. Other than that, good so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I will be very interested in this since I am in the process of setting up my 60cm cube. I cut the acrylic on Friday and plan on doing the glue-up this coming weekend. I plan on having it as a centerpiece. meaning that i will be viewed on all 4 sides. I was thinking of an onion plan too as a centerpiece plant. help me here where do you have your dwarf onion?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
It looks nice, but imo I think that some red plants for contrast would really make it pop.
Your pal,

Piano

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think it needs a black background as well it would really go well with the black cabinet and such.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrax07 View Post
I would maybe try a black background to add depth and make it seem bigger. Other than that, good so far.
Thanks I actually intentionally did a blue background because I am going to be stocking the tank with black marble angels as the centerpiece fish. I thought that against a black background, they would blend in too much. I usually do prefer the look of black backgrounds though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajata View Post
I will be very interested in this since I am in the process of setting up my 60cm cube. I cut the acrylic on Friday and plan on doing the glue-up this coming weekend. I plan on having it as a centerpiece. meaning that i will be viewed on all 4 sides. I was thinking of an onion plan too as a centerpiece plant. help me here where do you have your dwarf onion?
Good luck with your tank The dwarf onion plant is in the middle of the tank between the two driftwood branches next to the moneywort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
It looks nice, but imo I think that some red plants for contrast would really make it pop.
Your pal,
Thanks I definitely agree about the red plants. I just have to wait for my next paycheck. If you have any recommendations for some nice red plants that would do well in my tank, I'd love to hear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
I think it needs a black background as well it would really go well with the black cabinet and such.
Thanks If I end up changing my mind about the blue background I'll re-paint it black. I am hoping that it won't look as stark once the plants grow taller and mask it a little bit.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
MissMTS
I really like the driftwood with the dark substrate.
I also think a black background would look better. However white also looks nice sometimes.
I think a very nice looking mid ground red plant for that tank is Ludwigia glandulosa or if you wanted to go with a tall background red plant Barclaya longifolia gets really tall, which would look great!

Good Luck!

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like what you've done, it looks like the edge of a stream or something. Have you thought of any vals? They might look neat mixed in with the onion. I agree, you may want to hold off doing anything with the background until you get some fish. If you go for an overgrown jungle look, then the blue background would look nice peeking through. If your heater were on the other side would you be able to see it as well?

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Does that wood still have the bark on it? If so you will probably have problems later on down the road.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Does that wood still have the bark on it? If so you will probably have problems later on down the road.

Craig
I didn't even think about it. Yes the driftwood has a little bark left on it. Can I peal it off or do I need to toss it and get some new pieces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald2 View Post
I like what you've done, it looks like the edge of a stream or something. Have you thought of any vals? They might look neat mixed in with the onion. I agree, you may want to hold off doing anything with the background until you get some fish. If you go for an overgrown jungle look, then the blue background would look nice peeking through. If your heater were on the other side would you be able to see it as well?
Thanks That's what I was going for. I would definitely like to add some vals. I was thinking of adding some contortion vals because I really like the shape. I agree that the heater would look better on the other side, but I'm not sure the cord will reach. I'll try it and see if it works though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
MissMTS
I really like the driftwood with the dark substrate.
I also think a black background would look better. However white also looks nice sometimes.
I think a very nice looking mid ground red plant for that tank is Ludwigia glandulosa or if you wanted to go with a tall background red plant Barclaya longifolia gets really tall, which would look great!

Good Luck!
Thanks The background is a light green/blue color, not white. The first couple pictures are before I painted the background. I am thinking that some red midground plants would be great, because as far as I know, most of the plants I have are going to get pretty tall, so some more depth would be nice. I really like the look of the Ludwigia Glandulosa Thanks for the tip
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I got inspired to do a re-scape already, lol. I wasn't happy with the placement of the plants or the wood and I didn't feel like the scape showed a lot of depth. I pulled a few pieces of wood from one of my other tanks and swapped them for the branches. I still think I definitely need some red plants and some more foreground plants though. Here's a new pic:

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 01:40 PM

I think the driftwood in the "old" scape was alot nicer, and gave the tank more to work with. I really like how it looked like a tree had fallen and the branches were laying in the water. Just my opinion though...lol

post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
I think the driftwood in the "old" scape was alot nicer, and gave the tank more to work with. I really like how it looked like a tree had fallen and the branches were laying in the water. Just my opinion though...lol
I see what you are saying. I'm not 100% happy with either scape, so I think I need to toy with it some more. If I do use that driftwood, how would I go about getting the bark off of it? I think one of the things that is bugging me is that the plants are almost all the same height right now, making it hard to arrange them in the tank. I like that the driftwood in the 2nd scape is able to separate them more and I think makes the groupings of plants more visually pleasing, but I do think that the branches that I used before were a lot more unique and had a really cool effect.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 PM

I would soak the driftwood for a week or 2 and it should peel off.
I would also suggest letting the tank settle in for awhile and let stuff grow in. You can always make changes later

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sounds like a good idea to me My fish are arriving tomorrow, so I don't really want to mess with the scaping of the tank until they are more settled in anyways.

I may pick up a few foreground plants at the LFS today since I have to return a bag of fluorite that I didn't end up using. Hopefully they'll have some good stuff in stock.

I'll try soaking the wood, but it was already in another tank of mine for about 3 months, and nothing came off. I'll just have to see. I tossed it in my 150 for now to give my cichlids some more cover. I have lots of time to play around with it though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode