"It's getting better" 10 gallon (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
"It's getting better" 10 gallon (56k)

Hi everyone. I thought I would share the beginnings of my 10 gallon low tech. It's been up and running for awhile with a few plants and has a nasty (or nice for the snail) patina of algae. It has 3 zebrafish and an apple snail in it right now.

Finally going to do something with it. I had the idea awhile ago to scape my tank from the side as it sits right next to my bed and that would be the main side i view. I'd like to make it look like a forest stream or a forest path with giant hair grass or vallisneria as the trees and they would also serve to conceal my in-tank filter (it stays b/c i'm cheap and it's a challenge). I thought it would be cool to have the side nearest to me turn into a grass clearing made up of foreground plants (dwarf hair grass and moss to give it a fluffy look). An edge of the forest kind of thing where you look down the mysterious path that leads into the woods.

Right now it has an incandescent hood with 2 13w cfls and aquarium gravel. I think i will go buy some flourite to add to the gravel and wait for some moss and hairgrass to come up in the SNS.

Any thoughts or suggestions please don't hesitate. I am in need

Last edited by rushr; 05-09-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That filter in the background looks like a whisper 10i or similar. I dont think it is meant to be fully submersed like that. It should sit with the intake below the surface but the top portion where the filter cartridge is sitting should stay out of the water. You are getting tons of mechanical filtration bypass and that could be leading to undesired algae growth you are referring to. 13 watt cfl's in a 10 gallon tank is almost 2.5 watts per gallon. You might need to modify plans to include some sort of co2.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

inthewerks: Thank you for commenting. It is a whisper 10i. I've been lazy with the tank and sometimes when I clean the algae i stuff it back down and don't let it sit on top of the water. I'll make sure not to do that from now on.

I should confess too that the algae outbreak came from an effort to revive some sword plants using soil. There was no fish in at the time and ammonia levels have come down since so no worries for the zebras.

Your right, with 2.5w it might be time to start a DIY CO2. Should I move my fish and snail before I start to dabble? I've always wanted to try the jello method.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have bought the Flourite, rinsed, and mixed it in with the gravel. I've scraped and siphoned out the algae and soil bits from the previous experiment. And now more pictures that are not much different, but i hope to look back and say, "Wow how barren that tank was and now look at it."

These guys are so damn hard to get without blur. It be awesome to have this guy's rig: http://tinyurl.com/y89m7h5
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The hidden pathway idea reminds me of this high tech tank by craig. As you can see he injects Co2.

Here is picture how it is started. You uses cardboard to keep the areas separte and then pull it out after the sand is filled in the space. Pool supply area may be able to give you a few cups of pool filter sand.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I think i'm going to use some of the sand in my 29. It won't be a perfect path but maybe that'll add to the foresty look or... look like poo We shall experiment and find out.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Interesting! My tank is first seen from one end as well and I am planning on that end being a bright meadow and the far end being a jungly driftwood cave type thing. Being a cheapskate I am not getting rid of what I already have so there will be a lot of plants that don't quite fit the theme. I will pretend most of them are meadow edge plants. Good thing my tank is 60" long.

Hope the path works for you. I am far too messy an aquascaper to be able to pull that off. I do admire the effect.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Kathyy! I hope you post your 60 inch as it will be cool to see a similar scape. I wish you good luck. I feel like saying Happy belated St. Patty's Day too at the mention of luck.

I am very messy myself so i plan not to make a clean and bright sand path. Hopefully it will convey an overgrown and seldom used path look.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

"It's getting better" 10 gallon

That's what I've nicknamed it as my tank is slowly improving. lol Forgot to say, I'm still figuring out the planting scheme and I'm playing around with little pieces of wood to try to make a little fence by the path. I thought of making a miniature treehouse too but my windling skills aren't that good. I'll make it cooler somehow.

New plants:
-Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
-some wild collected (elodea species, something that looks and grows like dwarf hair grass)
- rotala and cambomba species from heineken's tank
- hornwort
-one plant that's compact with purple on the underside of the leaves (not waffle, the tags around here somewhere)
Know the species?

I'm still having trouble with diatom algae encrusted plants and walls which is odd cause the tank has been up since January. It should be gone by now. It looks like a mix of diatoms and a green algae encrusted over each other?

I have an inch long pond snail that I collected from the wild to help (I know it's not smart as it could have parasites but I couldn't resist. He's a monster and does an awesome job of devouring the algae.)

My zebras have been frisky! There's tiny fry throughout the gravel. Not sure they're getting enough to eat but I have seen water fleas and small nematodes so I hope there's even smaller life in my little ecosystem that they're surviving on. I have to research on food stuffs for them.

Fts (side is main view)

I forgot how annoying this stuff is as it sticks all over my arms.

One more thing - I'm getting into DIY CO2 and dosing Seachem Flourish. I'm going to be using the jello method and i have already got the jello in a small water bottle (I wanted to start slow so i can gauge the pH bc i don't have a drop checker.) But I was thinking this marshmellow jar would be better as the jello would be spread out more and offer the yeast more surface area. Plus it's easier to wash.

Thanks for clicking!

Last edited by rushr; 05-08-2010 at 02:35 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 03:36 AM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Just wondering, but can we get a zoom-out? And why is side the main view, it is different but still...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushr View Post
I'm still having trouble with diatom algae encrusted plants and walls. It looks like a mix of diatoms and a green algae encrusted over each other?
I think dosing with potassium nitrate, KNO3, would help decrease the algae. You have to make a solution of 1 cup of tank water to 1 Tbs of KNO3. Then dose 2ml daily for at least a week. It is sold at Lowe's at Spectricide stump remover. You can also buy it here, $3 plus $6 for shipping.
Quote:
One more thing - I'm getting into DIY CO2 and dosing Seachem Flourish. I'm going to be using the jello method and i have already got the jello. I wanted to start slow so i can gauge the pH bc i don't have a drop checker.
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com
You could diy a drop checker.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Caton- the side is the main view bc it sits right next to bed. It sucks for pictures I'm realizing. Well that's probably more my poor camera skills lol I do have pics of the front which is the side but there not very pretty. I will keep fiddling with things to get a better view to post.

Hilde- I was thinking the seachem flourish I got would help the plants out-compete the algae. Theres snail babies finally out and about too that will get into all the small places. The diy drop checker looks like a fun diy. A trip to the pet store is in order.

Last edited by rushr; 05-09-2010 at 12:03 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hilde- I was thinking the seachem flourish I got would help the plants out-compete the algae.
Oh I missed that you were dosing with Seachem flourish. Well since you have algae growing the seachem flourish is obvious not enough for now. What is you gh? Seachem Trace would be a good compliment for Seachem flourish. In time the snail may be able to keep up with the algae and then flourish will be enough.

You should also decrease the lights to 4hrs for a week and then increase 1 hr per week. Also do water changes weekly for a month.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm going to go with the flourish for now. This will be the first week I'm using it so I haven't seen an effect yet. My gh level is high as I have hard water. I do change my water once a week-about a third. I do need to pay more attention to light schedule though. It's not rare for me to leave it on for twelve hours. What can I say...I'm a forgetful one.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I've been staring at the tank and keep wanting to do something to that left side. It's just a big hodge podge. I took out some plants (alot are still floating as i have no place that i want to put them yet.) spread out the microsword, and added some cryptocoryne lutea.

And...CO2! I get a couple of small bubbles every 15 seconds or so. It's underneath the filter so when they rise they get swirled around and pushed downward.

mmm...strawberry goodness

Also bought a 2.5 gallon today. Buying a new tank is so sweet. Anywho, I've been wanting to try one for a while so now it's perched behind the 10 and I'm planning to continue the sand path into that tank. Nano thread pending....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode