46 Gal Bowfront. First tank! (kinda). Vids! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Orange
46 Gal Bowfront. First tank! (kinda). Vids!

So i just got started in aquariums a few months ago in november. My parents got me a 12-gallon eclipse easy-tank, and i slowly fell in love with the hobby. But after a while the plants i had in that tank werent lookin too good. I blamed the 10watt lighting that comes with the tank, and since its kind of a pain to replace those lights, i decided it was time to buy a new tank. Yes, i needed something bigger.
Here are some vids taken at 1-month intervals of the easy-tank. I cant link to them with my post count yet so you'll have to copy/paste
youtube.com/watch?v=arXjlGH-ivI
youtube.com/watch?v=vMnSv2x60d4
youtube.com/watch?v=Vq6q891BHOM

ah they grow up so fast.

So i scoured craigslist for a few weeks, lamenting deals i had to pass up while my car was broken. And then it all happened in 24 short hours, A gorgeous tank with lights, stand and filter made its way into my living room.

Here's the specs:
46 Gallon glass bowfront
Light: coralife fixture with two 96watt 6700k lights
Substrate: about 1/4-1 inch of eco complete capped with gravel
Filter: Rena XP1
Ferts: Flourish & flourish excel
And i plan to rig up some DIY co2 one of these days

Inhabitants:
2 Corydora cats
1 "T-Pain" the Red-tail shark
4 Danios +1 long fin danio
New! 4 "opal eye" tetras
New! 2 pumpkinseed sunfish
1 uppity guppy

It's been runnin for about 2 weeks now and i've got some more vids on the way. In the mean time maybe you guys could answer a few questions for me?

1. In those first few videos my stem-plants are looking pretty grim. Is it a light deficiency or a nutrient deficiency? (the symptoms are most prevalent in the last video). Also what is the name of these stem-plants?
2. Is it possible to embed youtube videos into posts?
3. I wish i had some footage uploaded of these so called opal eye tetras. I can't find any information on them. They appear to be slim tetras with black spots on their top fins and gorgeous, bright, iridescent eyes. Anyone know these fish or what their "real" name is?

That should be all for now. I'll bump this thread again once i get the vid of the new tank ready!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
OKAY well i have to say those stems look awful!!!

what i would tell you is to mix the gravel and eco up. i dont think the plants are reaching the nutrients good enough. if you can add some more eco.'

like this
12 gallon bowfront first tank (kinda)
to get the links on here you copy the website page and then in the reply area you will see the world and a clip with it click that and paste the link in it and bam u got a link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.

Last edited by problemman; 03-09-2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: wrong size tank in link
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

just by the way, the tank in the videos posted is the 12 gallon easy, not the 46 bowfront. The 12 easy only has gravel and the 10 watt, no eco complete

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
oh well that helps. but where is the 4 then?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

youtube.com/watch?v=1XECnglZZVY

Finally got the new 46 gallon video uploaded! The comparison with the old tank is really crazy. I know it's not the prettiest/cleanest thing around, but i'm workin on it! Just yesterday got a siamese algae eater (not in vid) to help with the beard algae control.

Another vid should be on its way in a few weeks. Any advice in the meantime is greatly appreciated!
Oh yeah another question to add to the pile: whats the name of that flowering plant with the long stem? That long stem in all the empty space kinda bugs me so i was thinking about cutting it and replanting it, think it'll be ok?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so can i get any IDs on these plants/fish? Anyone know whats up with the stem plants?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Why not post pictures instead of videos, you will more then likely get more info if someone can just open the thread and see some picutres. Especially if someone is at work and the firewalls prevent them from access to youtube on the companies servers.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

mostly because i dont have a decent camera! Here's some stills from the videos if it's any consolation. If theres any doubt about an Id i can try and find a different picture

"opal eye tetra", real name is ???

"pumpkinseed sunfish" real name???

unknown flowering plant, notice the long leaves with the wavy edges coming from the base, and the two long flowers (ignore the moss stuck to them)

dying stem plants in the old 12-gallon. Now the lower leaves have really started to darken (almost as if covered by a thin layer of dark powder).

I also had a brown crypt (maybe a sword) plant that has taken on a stone-like appearance on some of the older leaves.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so i herd u guyz liek pix
http://img265.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dscn4568.jpg
Just recieved two very generous plant packages from a couple members on this board, and as you can see i've really gone to town with the plants. Removing the top layer of gravel, adding new fluorite on top of the aquasoil, replacing the gravel, redecorating and (re)Planting took me near 5 hours, but i really love the result, even if it is totally overcrowded. Unfortunately i cant seem to find the fourth "opal eye tetra". I hope i didnt bury him when i was adding substrate... with any luck he's just lost in this ridiculous green abyss.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New video of the tank in all it's green glory!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIm0uTRNyhQ
Shows off the new fish:
2 guppies
2 ottos
siamese algae eater

Finally got co2 rigged up too! DIY 2-liter diffusing through the filter intake. A few neat shots of some pearling towards the end of the video. If only they all pearled like that!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode