Voozle's Breeding and Tank Journal | Fish Advice, Please! 04.22 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Voozle's Breeding and Tank Journal | Fish Advice, Please! 04.22

Voozle’s Glowlight Tetra Breeding Journal

[Pretend you see a breathtaking photo of a glowlight here. I'll get right on that.]

Hello, and welcome! First, a brief background before I outline my goals and begin the journal...

Last summer, I was fortunate enough to observe my kribensis pair hatch and raise several dozen young, with little effort required on my part. In August, an article by Ted Judy in TFH sparked my interest in breeding tetras, but I was already operating more tanks than I had time for. He listed Hemigrammus erythrozonus among the easiest tetras to breed. I recently dismantled the last of my aquariums, and I'm now free to try breeding glowlight tetras. From this project I hope to gain the fundamental breeding experience and knowledge necessary for trickier tropical species, specifically the coral red pencilfish Nannostomus mortenthaleri, and the dwarf chained loach Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki.

A small school of glowlights will be housed in a 10 gallon aquarium (in my closet), which will hopefully allow me to satisfy my urge to aquascape, although it will be a low maintenance setup. Another 2-3 gallon tank will be set up for breeding. This journal will chronicle both the establishment of the two tanks and the tetra breeding effort, every trial and tribulation. I greatly appreciate all feedback, especially in response to any of the myriad questions I’m sure to ask along the way. Well, I’m ready when you are...

Oh, and I’ll try to keep an updated list of important sources of information here, in case anyone is interested in trying this for themselves:
Five “Easy” Tetras, by Ted Judy. Tropical Fish Hobbyish, August 2009.
crshadow's Tetra Breeding Project. Found here.

Last edited by Voozle; 04-22-2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Title update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

10 Gallon Setup

The objective of this project is simplicity: I hope for a challenge from the tetras and the enjoyment of a small, planted tank; I don’t care to resume the arduous maintenance of my past aquariums. The 10 gallon tank will therefore be “low light, low tech” and use almost solely old equipment. This includes a Marineland Penguin 100 filter, Satellite 40W lighting fixture, Flourite Dark substrate, and manzanita driftwood, as well as the tank itself. I know temperature control will be an important factor in breeding H. erythrozonus, but I’ve never used a heater before and their seemingly disastrous unreliability (reported daily on these boards) has me worried. Suggestions, please!

The aquarium has been washed and a background applied with latex paint. One minor setback occurred last night: I managed to wrinkle the dried paint fiddling with the position of the HOB filter, and had to redo the whole thing. The painted back of the tank is now protected by a layer of masking tape to prevent a repeat of the incident (and my subsequent rage). The lighting fixture is approximately 12” above the rim of the tank, but this height can be adjusted to suit the growth and prevention of plants and algae, respectively. I have also rinsed and boiled both the substrate and driftwood, which were left outside since last use. The substrate has been added to the tank, the driftwood is boiling as I type.

Both fish and plants arrive at the LFS Wednesday, but I won’t bring home the glowlights until the tank has cycled. I’ve ordered assorted anubias, crypts, and java ferns, and I would appreciate any other plant recommendations for a tank of these specifications. Also, as I’ll be working heavily with anubias, can anyone offer advice on keeping its broad leaves algae free? I once read about an aquarium-safe antiseptic that could be applied before planting to prevent algae, but I have never seen any such product available.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those are like 9$ each at my LFS, cool fish though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMueller777 View Post
Those are like 9$ each at my LFS, cool fish though.
Glowlights are commonly stocked around here, and I'm not anticipating a price like that. If they do turn out to be expensive, I may reconsider and try a different, cheaper tetra. Possibly the pristella tetra Pristella maxillaris.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Interesting. May be too small of a tank.

Zoomed 501 Pimp Club Member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyjon View Post
Interesting. May be too small of a tank.
If you're referring to the 10 gallon, this is a concern of mine as well. Again, I'm aiming for easy maintenance, but if it does appear to inhibit breeding conditions for the tetras I have a 20L aquarium and necessary equipment available.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
use some java moss, which help gaurd the eggs from the parents if your dont plan on using a breeding net, and i believe hornwort actually releases substances into the water that stops algae from growing.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:51 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
This will be a fun thread. I have glowlights myself so it'll be neat to see the process.

I've read that they like fine leaved plants to spawn in and mosses, hornwort, and cabomba would all work. I'm no expert about heaters but i like the stealth brand. They're submersible and coated in black plastic so they blend into the background well and there's no risk of cracking heater glass.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
use some java moss, which help gaurd the eggs from the parents if your dont plan on using a breeding net, and i believe hornwort actually releases substances into the water that stops algae from growing.
Thanks for the advice, I've seen java moss recommended for this purpose several times, that's just what I intend to use. I'm not sure if my tank meets the needs of other, decorative mosses or liverworts. I'll look into hornwort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushr View Post
This will be a fun thread. I have glowlights myself so it'll be neat to see the process.

I've read that they like fine leaved plants to spawn in and mosses, hornwort, and cabomba would all work. I'm no expert about heaters but i like the stealth brand. They're submersible and coated in black plastic so they blend into the background well and there's no risk of cracking heater glass.
Thanks, I hope to try and keep this interesting. I've been following this thread to try and get an indicator of the preferred heater on TPT, but your recommendation sounds like just what I'm looking for.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Filter Adjustments and Plant Purchase

I really dislike how low the BIO-Wheel filter hangs on the back of the tank - the outflow is about an inch below the rim. I remember that if the water level is above the filter outflow, it makes an annoying, gurgling noise. I've wedged a small piece of starboard under the filter to make it sit higher, allowing the tank to be completely filled. I just hope the filter doesn't fall backward off the tank when filled! (It's sturdier than it looks in the picture; at worst the starboard slips and the filter tips forward.)

Also picked up plants at the LFS, but I was disappointed with the selection. Brought home a few Cryptocoryne wendtii 'red', Anubius congensis, and java trident Microsorium teropus. None are in great shape, I'll be looking online for additional plants. If you have any to sell, shoot me a PM. Working on the hardscape tonight.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Sounds groovy mate, Sure is a neat project.
Can't wait to see how it goes!
Your pal,

Piano

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
well watch out. if these are the ones labelled "glofish" at the LFSs then you can't sell any of them as they are copywrighted and can only be sold through certain vendors
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
what?! how can you copy right an animal! thats insane.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Sounds groovy mate, Sure is a neat project.
Can't wait to see how it goes!
Your pal,
Thank you! I'm going to plant what I have and start the tank cycling, but I'll probably postpone buying the glowlights another week or so until I can find more plants. I'll update with pictures when I'm ready to proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlyearthbound View Post
well watch out. if these are the ones labelled "glofish" at the LFSs then you can't sell any of them as they are copywrighted and can only be sold through certain vendors
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
what?! how can you copy right an animal! thats insane.
Glowlight tetras and GloFish® are not the same, but yes, they are patented. GloFish® are genetically modified zebrafish, and I believe those that are commercially available are all sterile to prevent illegal reproduction and distribution, but I may be wrong.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Miscellaneous Updates and 10 Gallon 'Scape

It took a little longer than expected to acquire all the plants I was looking for, please excuse the delayed update. I stole two Aqueon glass aquariums, 2.5 and 5.5 gallons, for the grand total of $10 at a PETCO sale. The plan is now for the 2.5 to serve as the temporary breeder, and the 5.5 will be the permanently established "grow out" tank for glowlight fry. I also assembled and reinforced a set of shelves to hold both nanos, dry food and supplies, and live food cultures - the chest of drawers below my 10 gallon contains my wardrobe now that my closet has become my fish room, haha.

The 10 gallon has been 'scaped, and I'm very pleased with the result. What do you all think? Over the past week I've begun a fishless cycling method, allowing flake food to decay inside a brine shrimp net in the tank. The result was first a large ammonia spike, and currently lethal quantities of nitrite; nitrate conversion is just becoming noticeable. I've stopped adding food, and when water parameters even out I'll bring home the tetras. The UV filter you see in the pictures is to prevent a green water bloom from the ammonia spike and fairly high lighting. Although large, it's not as obtrusive as I expected and I'm considering leaving it for the health of the fish. Opinions?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode