Guerdonian's 6g Fluval Edge Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Guerdonian's 6g Fluval Edge Journal

I found this little tank empty and on display in a little local pet shop. Immediately I saw the potential! I still own a 55 gallon that I had planted a few years ago, when we moved states I had to break it down. Our new location has raised wood floors and a lousy foundation so I am afraid to re-start it. Thus, this little nano tank provided a great way to get my fish fix. It started off with simple intentions “Well its just a simple tank for a few fish” then I got a little java moss, and then some driftwood, and then... and then... and then...

I began tweeking this and that, and my internet quest for knowledge began. A couple well worded google searches landed me on this great forum. What a wealth of knowledge!

So here is my little Tank 11 weeks in:

Under the hood I have upgrade to all LED's.
I have the standard swap out bulbs that everyone with an edge has been getting from LED wholesalers.
I also purchased what I call “floating” lights that sit external to the hood to light the dark corners of the tank. These were bought from IKEA, they are the LACK led accent lights. These two types of lighting were not quite enough so I purchased the DIODER LED lights from Ikea as well, and custom mounted them on a piece of plastic to the light bar. These lights are a tight fit, but they get me just the right amount of light.

Currently I am running DIY CO2. I plan to upgrade to a paint ball regulator setup in the near future once I make up my mind which one to get. I also purchased Ferts from GLA. I am mixing two week doses of 1 ½ teaspoon KNO2, 1/8 teaspoon kh2po4, and 1/8 teaspoon of plantex into 60ml of water for and dosing 6 ml every other day. I occasionally have been adding a couple ml of flourish as well. This sound about right?

Here are the overall specs of the tank:

Lighting:
LED wholesaler swap out bulbs
IKEA LACK floating LED lights
IKEA DIODER LED white lights

Hardware:
Stock fluval edge filtration (carbon removed)
20W heater
DIY CO2 plugged into small hole in filter

Hardscape:
Florite Red
Manzanita branches
Driftwood Log
Small river rocks

Plants:
Java Moss
3x Anubias Barterie
3x Crypt Parva
2x Crypt wendtii

Livestock:
1x German Blue Ram (will be passing him on to a friend when he outgrows the tank)
2x Pigmy croaking gurami
1x otto
3-5 CRS
2-3 RCS

BIG thanks to everyone on plantedtank.net, one of the friendliest forums I have been apart of. Stay classy plantedtank.net
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 Weeks Small.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	18861  

Name:	In Tank Top View.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	18864  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
That's one gorgeous aquascaping job you did there. Well done!

I've never considered using the Ikea Dioder in the Edge. How's the brightness?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
That's one gorgeous aquascaping job you did there. Well done!

I've never considered using the Ikea Dioder in the Edge. How's the brightness?
Thanks TLE041!

The brightness isn't amazing, but the plants are growing very nicely with two 5 hour photoperiods. I am not constantly battling algae either. Overall I really like the dioder’s. Its also cool that the combined tank wattage (random guess) is under 20W and I am getting enough light for my medium to high light plants to be happy.
On the Dioder idea; I thought about getting the multicolor dioder lights that switch between 4 or 5 colors of LED’s so I could have red for plant growth, or purple for moon light, but I primarily needed more white light so I decided to spend my $40 on just plain white. If someone on the forum is ambitions and really good with electronics, it would be awesome if they could “hack” the multicolor dioder so that all LED’s could be on at once (white light?), or just one color at a time (moon light (purple), green light (highlight the plants), and red light (growth)) and a dimmer! That would be awesome. This guy in the youtube link below even hooked it up to a remote:
Remote controlled color Dioder : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAvTnGqobLQ (this is not me)
FYI the Dioder strip lights wouldn’t fit under the fluval hood.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
moss looks great. Whenever i try growing those, they just don't look...i don't know...that great. They're healthy and have a nice green color, but doesn't fit in with the aquascape

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrax07 View Post
moss looks great. Whenever i try growing those, they just don't look...i don't know...that great. They're healthy and have a nice green color, but doesn't fit in with the aquascape

Yea the moss on the left is growing a little wild. I plan on trimming it to a nice slope when it gets to a good length and using the trimmings to fill in the gaps around the back and sides. I also hope that crypt willisii will fill in the middle for a nice brown/red ballance.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
nice moss

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nice lighting mod! Looks good, and love the scape!

In the beginning: DUKES 55g

DUKES Fluval Edge

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 06:08 PM

Hi guerdonian!
Any news about your tank? I'm very interested in this lighting setup and I wanna know if all is going ok whit your plant growing and if there is some algae problem etc etc.
Let us know!
Maybe You can post some new picture?

thanks
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the interest anubi!

Well the tank has had a rough month. It filled in beautifully for about 3 months (will post pictures soon) full growth, green moss, got all the algae under control, all the plants were growing wonderfully, then trouble struck:

1. After a few months some pockets in the moss, and undergrowth had become reservoirs for crap. The flow path of the water just moved everything into little nooks and crannies. Thus I had a boom of beard and staghorn algae, and some black slime stuff that grew in and around the filter. Figured that one out but had to rip up a lot of the moss to get to the globs of crap.
2. As expected the German Ram out grew the tank, and before I knew it all my CRS were munched! I found a home for him, but catching the little punk proved to be extremely difficult without easy access to the corners of the tank. After about an hour I ended up completely ripping up the scape, and having to start fresh.
3. Most recent battle is heat, we had a couple hot days in California, and I don’t have AC in the living room. My tank got up to a sweltering 88F! All the fish survived but I don’t think my plants were to happy about it.

Growth has slowed substantially as I think the plants are re-rooting, they don’t like the heat, and I think it is re-cycling a bit due to the large amount of substrate disturbance. The lighting is still working perfectly! And gets the corners of the tank very well.

Things I have learned:
1. If you put a fish in, don’t plan on getting it out!
2. Plan your scape with the tall plants under the access hole, so you can bend there leaves away while reaching in.
3. Branches are a bad idea, as they get caught on your net/hands/tweezers easily and rip out anything that is attached or close to them.
4. More powerful filter might be needed in heavily planted tanks, don’t leave little pockets that can collect stuff, as moving the vacuum nozzle to corners of the tank and around plants is impossible.

I will post some pics in a few days.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Algae Grower

Thats no good, you had a good setup with the tank and all, hope you can get the tank back up on its feet.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, a rescape is in the blueprint phase. Will post my idea's when they are more fleshed out. The current tank is rapidly decomposing for lack of a better term.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Planted Member

When I saw the picture, I thought that was the best Edge scape I had seen. When I first saw the Fluval Edge advertised I thought they were bigger sytems then they actually are. Initially I thought they certainly looked different, but very soon did not like them from a practicle point of view. Personally I would never consider buying one, but hats of to you for taking on the challenge.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys for the support! Here is my idea.
Goals:
1. Accessibility
2. water flow
3. aesthetic simplicity
4. lower tech

My blueprint eliminates everything except for anubias and driftwood, I plan on making the new substrate a white sand, but also thinking about black due to it hiding dirt better.

Thoughts are welcome. Keep in mind this is a fluval edge, so access is at a premium.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tank Mockup.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	22464  

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally am putting some pictures up of the new scape. Things are working SUPER smooth with the cleaner layout. Filtration is working properly, and have the light balanced to prevent overgrowth of algea. Also picked up a sumatran neon blue goby that is awesome. This little guy eats the algea off of rocks and sand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Summer 2010 144.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	23833  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode