20G Tiger Barb Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20G Tiger Barb Tank

I did a bunch of rearranging, bought lots of new plants, and a few more fish.

I now have some Amazon Swords, Cabomba, and Micro Sword Grass

I bought 5 olive nerite snails to keep it clean, hopefully

Looking into a DIY Co2 setup

This is how it was before the change

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Planted Member

Very nice, you have the same kinda equipment I do lol... Although I have the AC110 (works great btw) That the Nova Extreme T5HO 2 x 24 watt? If so you should grab some excel cause algae will come pretty fast... I dose 4 mL each morning before a 12 hr light period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMueller777 View Post
Very nice, you have the same kinda equipment I do lol... Although I have the AC110 (works great btw) That the Nova Extreme T5HO 2 x 24 watt? If so you should grab some excel cause algae will come pretty fast... I dose 4 mL each morning before a 12 hr light period.
That's a huge filter for this tank, I could only imagine how well it works.

Yeah, it's the Nova Extreme T5HO. It's definitely very bright and I love the colors it gives the tank, a very natural looking like.

I've already had an algae problem once in the 3 weeks it's been running, but for the most part, it's doing pretty good.

I am dosing flourish excel, half capful every day. Also leafzone fertilizer once a week (10ml)

How's that heater working out for you? Mine hasn't been working very well... My tank is stil sitting around 70-72 when I wake up in the morning

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
For some reason l liked it before the changes but you did what you had to do. l just thought it would of been neat to see the cabomba grow to the top of the tank and make a nice background look.

----gauny----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Ooooo I'd love to have a Tiger Barb tank! Good luck with yours!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve325 View Post
That's a huge filter for this tank, I could only imagine how well it works.

Yeah, it's the Nova Extreme T5HO. It's definitely very bright and I love the colors it gives the tank, a very natural looking like.

I've already had an algae problem once in the 3 weeks it's been running, but for the most part, it's doing pretty good.

I am dosing flourish excel, half capful every day. Also leafzone fertilizer once a week (10ml)

How's that heater working out for you? Mine hasn't been working very well... My tank is stil sitting around 70-72 when I wake up in the morning
I put it inside the AC110... Keeps my tank at 78*F always... I've had the lid off for the past few days and now I'm just getting a lot of evaporation lol... I'm thinking about getting a different heater eventually cause if I need to raise the temp I won't be able to.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone. I was back and forth on the old look. I didn't like it too much because I almost considered removing the cabomba, I never realized how much of a mess it is. It appears to be dying and if it does, then I'm not going to replace it and probably put something else there.

My fish seem to LOVE the amazon swords, they are always swimming in it, around it, behind it. They keep on ripping up the unrooted grass too! How long does it usually take to develop a strong root system? I made a horrible mistake when I first put in the sword grass, I left the wool all around the roots and I don't think it made any progress whatsoever. Now that I removed the wool, the roots are almost non-existent and this stuff is very lightly sitting in the substrate.

I keep on looking into Co2, but confused where to start. If I had the money, I'd go ahead and make the leap for a pressurized system, but it's just too expensive right now! Any recommendations on a cheap, DIY kit?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMueller777 View Post
I put it inside the AC110... Keeps my tank at 78*F always... I've had the lid off for the past few days and now I'm just getting a lot of evaporation lol... I'm thinking about getting a different heater eventually cause if I need to raise the temp I won't be able to.
The lid on could definitely be the difference between mine and yours. I like keeping my windows open on the cold nights and bringing the temp down to 60 in here! Living in FL, I don't get to experience the cold very much, so I like to take advantage of it when we have it

I like the heater in the filter idea, that'd clean up the back of the tank a little bit. Mine won't fully fit in there
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added a DIY Co2 setup today, everything seems to be going well. bubbles are coming out a little bit faster than I would've hoped. I've been keeping an eye on the pH. It's dropped about .6 since this morning (8 hours) to 7.4, hoping that it levels off pretty soon!

I'm not sure if it's my angles of the pictures, but the cabomba has grown rapidly, literally, infront of my eyes. I took a few pictures on 3/7 and some more today, and it's literally grown 2-3 inches. It still looks somewhat unhealthy though, hopefully the Co2 fixes this problem

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode