Testing out black diamond sand - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By pinkkiwi1230

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Testing out black diamond sand

I currently have eco complete in my 55 gallon tank. I've kinda tried growing micro sword grass in it. It doesn't grip very good and every time I do water changes, it's floating all in the tank. I wanted to add sand over the top layer to give the grass finer subtract to grab to. After reading reviews, I saw a lot of good things about black diamond. Cheap and things grow good. Only downfall is rinsing the oily film .

My brother used to have bearded dragons in a small 10 gallons tank. after around 3 months, he didn't enjoy the responsibility of cleaning the tank. We donated them to petco.

So with a spare tank laying around, heater, light and air pump, I decided to test out the sand.

So far I have rinsed the sand, let it sit and rinse again. I did have the oily film on mine.

I poured it into the tank, very cloudy so far so I'm wait for it to settle.

Also it's not very good for building up ground. I tried to make a little cave but the sand it very heavy and silky. Maybe mixed with eco complete, it will do better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

If I had to guess about the oily film, I would say it's something to keep the sand sleek so it can flow through the sand blaster without clogging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Very easy to plant in. Held everything down with one try. Even the small micro grass. Still cloudy though

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's been a few hours... still a little cloudy. I might have to hook up my small filter to get the water clean.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Still hasn't cleared up. I also put it in my 16 gallon hospital tank. It has a small guppy, snail and ghost shrimp. It doesn't appear to be harmful.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 07:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
In two of the three tanks I have it in I didn't rinse it and I just put it straight in the tank. One of those is my 75 gallon planted which already had completed it and fish. I proceeded to dump in a bag and a half while re-aquascaping it. The fish have had no harm and the angels actually spawned not a week later.

The other tank I added fish to immediately and has no plans but has had no ill effects to the fish they were put in it after it was set up with the black diamond sand and does not appear to be creating the brown algae that is a common thing with silica sand.

The other tank I rinsed but none of the tanks have had a Clarity issue really at all.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I left it in over night and all day. Still a little cloudy, but clearing up. I think it's beautiful sand. Has almost a sparkle to it. From what I heard, it's good for the plants cause it coal. And at that price, it's cheap to replace. So over time, if some is sucked into the gravel cleaner, you can top it off under 10 bucks. Probably the on cheap thing in the hobby lol

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My picture shows dirty on the top layer after everything setteled. When I do a water change I will clean it back up.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update on the tester tank too

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it is coal slag a byproduct of making coal, which is why it is heavier than standard sand, also it has dust and particles straight out of the bag so it is best to rise it 2-3x before putting it in a tank. look in my sig at the 75

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 33g retired
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Planting in this stuff was a breeze. Even the smallest of plants stuck with no trouble

x0769 and x0769 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode