Katie's 20 Long Journal... Advice needed (7/24) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Katie's 20 Long Journal... Advice needed (7/24)

I just started up a new planted tank, and decided to keep a journal of it which is something I've never committed to doing before. I think that it will really help me keep track of my progress and also receive a lot of valuable advice and input from other members. I set the tank up 3 days ago and so far, so good. Here are the specs:

Tank: 20 Long
Light: 25 Watt T5HO Hagan Glo Light
Substrate: Fluorite
Plants: Vals, Crypts, Dwarf Micro Sword etc.
Fish: Pair of German Blue Rams
CO2: Excel
Filtration: Marineland Penguin Filter (200 GPH)
pH: 7.5

I am planning on placing an order for more plants next week. I would really like to do a marsilea carpet. I know the vals are really sad looking at the moment. The guy at the LFS gave them to me for practically free, so we'll see how they do and hopefully I won't have to replace them.

Here are my pics so far. Please give me all the suggestions you have!!!

Hardscape:

First filled with water... OMG soooo cloudy!

Next Morning (added some plants):

Next Day (more plants and clear water):

Last edited by MissMTS; 07-27-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Fixed Links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 PM
msc
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Looks like your tank is off to a nice start.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is off to a great start! I really like the branchy piece of driftwood you've got in there What type is it?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
taggin along, nice tank!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
kinda like this?
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachm...uadrifolia.jpg

From what l know it's very similar to glosso, anyways good luck on your carpet!

----gauny----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Algae Grower

Wait...is your tank on the floor?

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

looks like it :P

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks so much for the nice comments everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrax07 View Post
Wait...is your tank on the floor?
Lol, I ordered a stand that will be here wednesday, but I had to set up the tank early because my fish order came yesterday. I tried to time it right, but things just didn't work out since no stores in my area seemed to have a stand the correct size in stock. I plan on draining the tank and moving it onto the stand next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
kinda like this?
http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachm...uadrifolia.jpg

From what l know it's very similar to glosso, anyways good luck on your carpet!
This is the marsilea... http://www.aquariumplants.com/CLOVER...ia_p/mi999.htm I wanted a carpet plant that can grow under lower light conditions and this seemed to fit the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyona View Post
This is off to a great start! I really like the branchy piece of driftwood you've got in there What type is it?
Thanks I got the wood from my LFS a while back and had it in another tank. I think it was labeled "ghost wood" when I got it. When its dry its really white in color.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Algae Grower

I was about to ask how you plan on using a gravel vacuum. lol

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 05:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

hope you got help carrying that 20g on top of your stand, l had one myself when l was younger and boy l underestimated the weight.

----gauny----

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update:

Well the tank's still on the floor, lol. I got my stand, but I need to find the time to drain my tank and move it up there.

Anyways, my vals are melting which is not surprising. I know they don't do well with excel and they were in poor condition to begin with. I am getting a shipment of plants for my 60g cube tomorrow, so I'll probably add some plants from that shipment to this tank as well.

As far as the rest of the plants go, everything else is looking about the same.... not very much growth yet.

I did add a school of 7 cardinal tetras and 2 otos, so the tank is active and colorful

I'll try to get more pics tomorrow when I add the new plants...
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here are some updated pics. I added some wisteria and some pennywort that came in my plant shipment today and removed the vals. We'll see how they do, I'm not really sure how I like the look yet, but I need to see how they grow in. Also, I need to order some marsilea to get my carpet started. Its looking very bare up front. Sorry for the poor lighting. Its hard to get a good pic with the tank on the floor

Last edited by MissMTS; 06-30-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Fixed Links
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
The tank looks great. Reallly like the rams, wish I could keep rams and shrimp, but tis not to be. Good luck with everything,
Your pal,

Piano

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks so much Lol, I always think the same thing about shrimp... wish I could keep them with my fish. However, I'm a fish person, and have never been able to dedicate a tank to just shrimp
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well yesterday I finally drained the tank and moved it onto the stand. I did a re-scape since I pretty much had to pull everything out of the tank to move it. I like the new layout and plant arrangement better. I also cracked the lid on accident while I was doing the move, so I mounted the light on the sides of the tank, and decided to go without a lid. I just hope my cat doesn't decide to jump in, lol

I also changed out the bulb today. I had a T5 colormax bulb over the tank, which gave it a red color that I hated. The new bulb is a Life-GLO which I like much better because the lighting looks a lot brighter.

My male ram is recovering from an eye injury. I think he scraped it against something in the tank while him and the female were chasing each other. I treated the tank with Tri-Sulfa, so I'm hoping he heals up okay. He's still active and eating fine, so my hopes are high.

I sooo need to get a black background on this tank. I am always reminded of it when I take pics, but always forget to actually go and pick one up.

Anyways, comments are welcomed!!! Let me know what you think

Last edited by MissMTS; 06-30-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Fixed Link

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode