A High time with High Light: 28 Gallon Bowfront Journal ((some pics added)) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
A High time with High Light: 28 Gallon Bowfront Journal ((some pics added))

Gathering materials for a planted 28 gallon bowfront. Have a few questioins, looking for suggestions/opinions.

Equipment/Stats:

28 Gallon Bowfront
Black Stand
24" Glow T5 HO Double 48W (2-24W) http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=19759
Marineland Emperor 280 BioWheel Filter
Eco Complete Substrate
Co2 of some sort

Plants:

Well I just don't know as of right now LOL I've got a bit of research to do.

Considering the following inhabitants
((Haven't made decisions on exact combo/ratio of species))

Tetra School - either rummy nose or neon
Pair of German Blue Rams or Perhaps Peacock Gudgeon
Celestial Pearl Danios
Pearl Gourami
Sparkling Gourami
Otto's or perhaps a smaller pleco or two
Amano Shrimp or Cherries ((Cherries dependent upon amount of hiding places/moss for them to avoid the GBR's or Peacocks))
Snails? I'm sure to get a few off plants and the such, but I've been seeing some really nice, larger aquarium snails on different posts ((something to look into))

Okay onto the questions and other general info.

I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to my lighting situation. I was able to get this set up for a good deal from a friend, and have NEVER worked with high lighting.

As I understand it: this lighting fixture would put me into HIGH lighting. I've read the thread often linked on here about how to determine lighting for T5HO - and quite honestly... it was like greek to me. I have a basic understanding that some plants require higher light and Co2. Prior to this tank my experince with tanks have never gone higher than 1.25 Watts of lighting and really basic DIY Co2.

I have NO clue what plant types would do well in this lighting. I'd say it's safe to say that I need to start out with the more forgiving types of plants - AKA plants that don't require me to reach into the tank and pet them and call them cute names, in order for them to thrive. Suggestions would be very kind. ((I'm not afraid of good reading material, assuming it's geared toward someone who does not have a degree in biology))

My current plans include DIY Co2 of some sort, mostly due to $$$ issues. Just from looking around, DIY Co2 seems to have gotten a bit more complicated since I last tried it. My set up included a 2 Liter Bottle and some tubing, check valve, put into my HOB filter. Would anyone mind posting a few good/your favorite DIY set ups and instructions. ((Again, not afraid of reading material))

Another Lighting question:

If I only ran one of the two bulbs in this fixture, what level of lighting would that put me at?

Pictures to come!

Last edited by Niyona; 03-19-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
T5HO lights are VERY strong. If you use a T5HO fixture like the one from Dr. Fosters, you will need pressurized CO2. I would suggest using a normal T5NO light instead.
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The T5HO fixture is what I have. Can I run the lower T5NO bubls in the fixture I have?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a Catalina T5HO 2x24W on my 26g bow. I run one light for 10 hours a day with the second light on mid day burst for 3 hours. Works for me.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That's a great idea. Though I don't think this fixture has seperate switches for each bulb. I'll have to double check.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyona View Post
That's a great idea. Though I don't think this fixture has seperate switches for each bulb. I'll have to double check.
if you want to stay low light, some units allow you to disconnect one bulb and still work, some not all depending on the wiring.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyona View Post
The T5HO fixture is what I have. Can I run the lower T5NO bubls in the fixture I have?
It will just overdrive them to HO. The ballast sets wattage, not bulb.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'd like to try the high lighting. But I don't have it in my budget right now to do an expensive Co2 setup. I think I'll give it a go, and do the low tech DIY Co2 and see how it works out.

Suggestions on plant types?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okies a few updates.

I've decided to axe the tetra's and instead go with a larger school of Celestial Pearl Danio's.

I took a look at the LFS and this is what they have in the way of stem plants:
Ludwigia
Rotala Indica
Anacharis
Bacopa
Cobomba

There are a few local peeps, I'm going to see what they have avail. before I order any plants.

I'd like to try Hemianthus callitrichoides - can someone direct me to a good plant guide for this plant? I've read conflicting information around the interwebs LOL

I've decided to run DIY CO2 until I save up for a better option.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okies, I got the tank up and running. Right now I have the following plants:

Onion Plant
Java Fern
Moss - not a clue what kind
Some Micro Swords
Mellon Sword Plant
Crypt's

I'm considering the following:

Mini Pellia
Fissidens fontanus
Pogostemon helferi
Ludwigia repens
Crinum calamistratum
HEMIANTHUS CALLITRICHOIDES
Cabomba furcata
Sunset Hygrophila

Here are some quick shots I took with my camera phone, NOT the greatest, and the tank's not planted, the plants are just floating. But it gives you and idea of the driftwood placement.

I'm thinking of putting the HC in the middle between the two driftwood pieces. Filling in behind the driftwood on the left with some tallish stem plants. Putting a few midground plants near the middle in the back. Not sure about the Right side behind the piece with the java fern on it.

I also have a few more small pieces of diftwood and few rocks to play with.

Still very much in the IDK phase.

I really like the mirrored back, makes the tank look bigger than it is.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Planted Member

driftwood

I'm not too crazy about that pointed piece of driftwood in the back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's actually a driftwood cave. The center is hollow all the way through. It looks a bit rough in the picture, but irl it actually is quite nice. It's been a favorite spot for pleco's in all the tanks I've kept it in. I thought it might make a nice hiding place for the GBR pair I plan on keeping.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Picked up some Cherry Shrimp from Batch here on the forum. As well as a TON of free plant trimmings. ((oh and a hitchhiking guppy fry))

Got them all separated out and planted, not quite sure what all I got LOL Looks to be two or three types of stem plants. Two different types of moss. Gonna give the stem plants time to perk up and see if they do well in my tank. Right now they're just planted in groups. Aquascaping later when I see how well they do.

The cherry shrimp are bright red and seem to have adapted very well to the tank. They're just loving the big clumps of moss just hanging out till I figure out what to do with them LOL.

Pics a bit later, way to busy with my move to even stop to dig the camera out.

If you're nin my area and need shrimps, I suggest giving Batch a buzz! Super friendly and I definately have tank envy!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
T5HO lights are VERY strong. If you use a T5HO fixture like the one from Dr. Fosters, you will need pressurized CO2. I would suggest using a normal T5NO light instead.
I too use 2x24 T5HO lights with DIY CO2 (granted I have two setups running. Bubbles stream out constantly and are very tiny with a wooden airstone).

I keep the DIY CO2 very consistent.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the info benon. I did some asking around at my favorite LFS and one of the workers has the almost exact set up. They're not even running C02. They said they do get some algae but nothing a good cleanup crew doesn't handle.

I figure I'll give it a try and see how it works. If I get algae I'll adjust and fiddle till I get a good balance.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode