J Chen's ADA Mini-M Iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
J Chen's ADA Mini-M Iwagumi

hey all, 1st post on plantedtank! im on APC and SoCalScape and theres always links coming to this forum, so i decided to join. anyway...heres my set up.

im using ohko stone.

heres my rock placement. im using flourite.

so initially i started out with dwarf grass hair and HC. however...my HC wasnt doing too well...

so i traded my HC for RCS!!

however, i went on winter vacation for a week and half...and when i came back. my shrimp all died...and my tank became a cesspool. there was algae outbreak and even some kind of fungi growth.

looking for a new carpet...i decided to go with Riccia.

i added 5 neon tetra and 2 oto. this is after a month of growth.

this is my final product. riccia has been growing for almost two months. and i just recently trimmed them.

Lots of Riccia.

enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
Good job. My only suggestion would be to use mini Riccia instead of regular Riccia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2005 View Post
Good job. My only suggestion would be to use mini Riccia instead of regular Riccia.
thanks! yea i wanted to, but only the regular riccia was available at the time.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Nice start man, and welcome to plantedtank!

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:12 AM
Planted Member

Nice scape, good job...

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
That is a nice looking tank. The separation between the Riccia and the hairgrass seems a little abrupt, but it looks a billion times better than my tank. So I really don't have room to talk . Kinda bummed the HC didn't work out though.

Is that the Coralife light fixture you have on there?

Eheim Pimp Club Member #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
"The 'scape ain't right, bro."

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:42 AM
Algae Grower

Great looking tank, that hairgrass looks good in the back of the smaller tank.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Nice tank! And yeah, I do agree with the use of Mini Riccia. Have you been to the ADA store in San Francisco? I believe they carry it.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
Nice tank! And yeah, I do agree with the use of Mini Riccia. Have you been to the ADA store in San Francisco? I believe they carry it.
Lol, not everyone live in San Francisco. It's NoCal. He lives in SoCal.

I would also like to know what kind of light is that?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tak13 View Post
Lol, not everyone live in San Francisco. It's NoCal. He lives in SoCal.

I would also like to know what kind of light is that?
Lol, sorry...I always thought Irvine was by Sacramento.

And yeah, what kind of light is that?

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
Last time I went they didnt have much of anything. But albany aquarium did.

I live in sacramento and albany aquarium is my main fish store =)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looks awesome! I've never really tried Riccia, but have always wanted to.
My only concern is that the tank is maybe a little small for neons, and maybe it would be better to try to get some rcs again for it. Plus, when they breed, you can trade/sell them!

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy_1911 View Post
That is a nice looking tank. The separation between the Riccia and the hairgrass seems a little abrupt, but it looks a billion times better than my tank. So I really don't have room to talk . Kinda bummed the HC didn't work out though.

Is that the Coralife light fixture you have on there?
yea...im pretty sad the HC didnt work...im not sure if it was dying cuz i didnt have enough CO2...or i wasnt dosing enough...but we'll see...im starting a new HC tank.

as for the light. its not a coralife. i bought it from an online store called catalina aquarium. the fixure is called "lighthouse"

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post
Looks awesome! I've never really tried Riccia, but have always wanted to.
My only concern is that the tank is maybe a little small for neons, and maybe it would be better to try to get some rcs again for it. Plus, when they breed, you can trade/sell them!
what kind of other schooling fish would you recommend that i can replace my tetras with? should i not have a school at all for this size tank?

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Well, this is where I'll play the devil's advocate, haha.
I've always been against keeping fish in tanks of that size, and opting for only shrimp/snails, but if you must, I would suggest any of the boraras sp.

Now, a lot of people suggest these fish, as they are super tiny, colourful, and cheap, and I must agree on those points, but at the same time, I've never been into keeping fish in smaller tanks.

But yeah, if you want fish, I would go with about 5 or 6 of the Boraras sp. B. Brigattae or B. Merah is also one of my faves.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode