75 Gal Journal. Custom slate background - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to imnappy2
75 Gal Journal. Custom slate background

Took down my 55 gallon planted tank to spend all my time.. (and money) and setting this 75 gallon up the right way. Here is the start of my picture journal. I looked at all kinds of pictures of backgrounds online and all the pictures just didnt seem to hit me right. So I came up with my own plan. I found slate on sale at Home Depot and took a hammer to it. The slate was perfect because it was cut so I could take and fit it perfect to the edge. There are a lot of hidden caves and places for me to plant. Tell me what you think of the new start. I will have updates soon.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/imnapp...ppy2/my_photos

imnappy2
75 gallon eheim 2028, compressed co2, DIY everything possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 07:23 AM
Planted Member

I like it a LOT!!! Very well planned out and should make for a beautiful natural bacdrop. Can't wait to see how it turns out with the plants and stuff. Great start - keep us posted on the progress now

Mark K...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #37

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Eheim 2028 Pro II - 8w AquaUV Sterilizer - 48" Aqualight 2-65W 6700K & 2-55W 9325K - (4) 3/4Watt Aqualight Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs - 160lbs EcoComplete substrate - Dupla Therm 500 substrate heater w/Temp Control - Hydor ETH300 inline heater - pressurized Co2 w/pH controller - Reactor 1000 CO2 - & lots of other misc. crap
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 10:47 AM

Wow!!

That looks great, cannt wait to see what it looks like with plants and fish.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 02:02 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
This may be a stupid question, but did you use glue to get the slate to stick together? If so, which adhesive did you use? I think it looks awesome. Very artistic!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
That looks great!! Yeah, did you use an epoxy stick (hold fast?) or something? I've heard using aquarium sealant just doesn't hold well. I hope you're not planning on ever moving that tank!! I bet it ways a ton!!

Re-boot!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank does weigh considerably more, but actually not as much as you would think. I did make a few mistakes while laying it out buy very minor ones. If I were to do it again. I would not lay it out first and then go to glueing. Just go to glueing. I am not sure if its the smartest move I have ever made but I used regular construction liquid nails in a calk gun to put the slate to the glass. Then used a PL that is made for slate to slate, rock to rock etc. I didnt even think how it would affect my water until after i did it. I put some test fish in a few days ago, and all is well. The water has completely cleared up. If anyone has any idea hot to plant this thing I would welcome input. I was thinking of a riccia mat on the left side of the tank or some type of miniature hair grass. I have done 6 odno 2x lights for the tank so i am at 3.84 wpg. And compressed co2 so i think i am to the level of grow anything. need to figure out this micro and macro stuff now.

imnappy2
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PS Total price for background with glue. 30 dollars.

imnappy2
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Very nice... Reminds me of abstract art.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 01:29 AM

Its definately a different look... I need to reserve judgement for when you get it planted but I think it is an interesting effort.
A couple of things come to mind however, first is the stress on that rear wall and the adjoining corner seams, and second is the materials you used to glue it with ! I have never heard of it used in a tank before but I do know that stuff well and have used both PL and Liquid Nails... I think it may turn your tank into a toxic waste dump for the fish, the PL is a very nasty substance my friend.

Did you read the tubes ? I cant see where this stuff will do the fish any good... All I can say is you got guts for trying this, if it dont work you can kiss that tank goodbye !

I wish ya luck , be sure to keep us updated!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:52 PM

Wow, that would give it a nice cichlid tank look! Of course it has to be planted
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 02:31 AM

Buck, I would agree 100%. I used liquid nails today on a house project and it about knocked my head off. I would think it would be a BAD idea as far as fish are concerned. I DO love the slate look though, wished you had used a fish-friendly adhesive for their sake anyways. ....
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i have used liquid nails in a panderium of mine.. and i have had that for well over a year.. and everything that i have in there... doesnt seem to be glowing or produce wild growths on them or anything. And yes i do have a feeling if i decide to change the background its going to be a hard fix. The using liquid nails thing before didnt even make me think about the adhesive... however it would ease my mine quite a bit if i would have used a fish friendly glue. It will be fine though!!

imnappy2
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 11:37 PM

And yes i do have a feeling if i decide to change the background its going to be a hard fix.

Not hard bro... impossible without breaking the glass if even a little is in contact with it... they dont call it "liquid nails" for nothing.
This project of yours is allready in the making so it will be a good info bit for the future... successful or not !

And I am still wishing success for you !
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I had water in it, and placed 6 danios in the tank that did very very well. Then I noticed all my substrate snails coming to the surface and crawling around for a bit and dying. Not Good. So I decided I am going to use tank safe glue. And I was able to take the whole background off the back of the tank without a single hitch and clean all the slate of the old glue. Now its just the process of putting it back on. I am not so excited about this part since I have already done it once. And Buck some of the stuff was rock solid and didnt seem to be effected by the water. But some on the other hand.. turned into a toxic sludge that I thought just touching it would eat my hand off. But all is good now. Starting over!!

imnappy2
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 02:54 PM

Wow, I feel for you. I would not think that liquid nails would ever "give". Sorry that you had to try again, but the peace of mind is worth it for your fish...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode