2Likes
  • 2 Post By xxoczukxx
  • 2 Post By xxoczukxx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (1/100%)
My 2g bowl dry start!

Hi everyone this isn't my first scape but itll be the first journal i try to keep up with.

The bowl is about 2-2.5 gallons.

At the moment ive got ada amazonia, what i believe to be ryuoh stone, and a piece of driftwood.

For plants ive just got some dwarf baby tears that i took from a pot and planted but i plan to get some fissidens and try the yogurt method to attach it to the driftwood and a bit on the stone

The bowl is currently under a 24" planted+ but i plan to move it elsewhere with a 12" stingray basically resting on top of the bowl for maximum light

I want to try a method i saw someone else have success with, which was completely soaking the substrate and only leaving a tiny hole and basically not openning or misting it at all. Hopefully this way it will ward off algae/fungus that I have gotten so many times in the past with dry starts.

Well, wish me luck and ill keep this thread updated!

x0769 and x0769 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

quick update after 9 days,

this is the bowl as it is now. a bit of HC has died off due to acclimation from submerged to emersed, and the wood is kinda drying out but as you can see, theres still a lot of humidity in the bowl so i wont mist it just yet. plus it seems growth is starting in the plants that are ok!

here is a close up of the roots growing out of one of the plants, im seeing these in most of the plantlets that are still green

TaylorTurner and TaylorTurner like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I like this. Good job. Just started the same thing. How often will you need to do water changes in this? Daily?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
I like this. Good job. Just started the same thing. How often will you need to do water changes in this? Daily?
i plan to have a mini canister filter on it, so hopefully not too often. when it first starts up for the first week ill probably do a daily 50% but then decrease it after
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 04:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Don't mist it, you have plenty of water. The humidity will "mist" the plants. The fact that you have new root growth means that the HC is in ideal conditions. It looks awesome, I'm certain it'll end up well.

Stage 3 MTS. Accepting $$$ donations to find cure.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxoczukxx View Post
Quote:
i plan to have a mini canister filter on it, so hopefully not too often. when it first starts up for the first week ill probably do a daily 50% but then decrease it after
Oh ok cool. Do you know how you will set up the filter? I'll be interested to see how you pull off the intake and output. Maybe use tubing instead of plastic pieces so you can form the tube somewhat to the bowl
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eparreno View Post
Don't mist it, you have plenty of water. The humidity will "mist" the plants. The fact that you have new root growth means that the HC is in ideal conditions. It looks awesome, I'm certain it'll end up well.
i havent and wasnt planning to, dont worry. im trying out a completely sealed dry start with just a tiny openning to see how it compares to my other regular dry start

Quote:
Oh ok cool. Do you know how you will set up the filter? I'll be interested to see how you pull off the intake and output. Maybe use tubing instead of plastic pieces so you can form the tube somewhat to the bowl
i do plan to replace the plastic tubing the filter came with as it kinda sucked haha. i am thinking of like snaking the input to behind the stone and ill have the outflow at like the surface of the water at an angle causing basically a circular current i think

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode