Doob's 20gal Long Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Doob's 20gal Long Journal

So, I finally started up my 20 gal long! it's been about 8 months since I tore down my 29 gal. This is now home to two kribs and they're doing fine.

Let's see...the specs:
2 x Coralife Double t-5 aqualite
MTS topped with Eco-Complete
Marineland C160 (with inline hydor heater)
Still setting up my CO2 system

Flora:
Blyxa aubertii
Crypt wendti
Lobelia cardinalis
Bolbitis
Ludwigia ovalis (I think...)

Fauna:
1 pair of Kribs

Some pics:

Close up of the female

Close up of the male

FTS

Still setting things up, but I made a mistake of making it to my LFS when they recently got all stocked up before I was more than ready. oops

I'll probably move things around once the plants get more settled in and I have my CO2 all set up. I'm thinking of getting some needle leaf java ferns, a couple more pieces of driftwood, some foreground plant (UG or Glosso) and *maybe* a school of small fish, but I doubt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
looks like a good start. you'll have lots of fun with this tank, I'm sure 20L is such a great size!

cheers-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice start man. What method of CO2 injection are you using?? Check my 20H out sometime.

-Brian

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm gonna build a rex-style diffuser, I'm just waiting to build a regulator.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Unfortunately I lost my pair of kribs last night. I have no idea what happened, and I didn't have a test kit to figure out if it was the water parameters.

When I left my apartment yesterday morning I checked on the tank and the fish seemed fine, not stressed looking and pretty well colored. Then when I came back that night (about 12 hours later) they were gone from site. I found them hiding under the driftwood. The female couldn't swim straight, and the male didn't swim at all and was having trouble staying upright. Both were breathing heavy, so maybe I thought it was an ammonium spike or something, so I did a 1/2 tank water change quickly, with no change from the fish.

I feel like an idiot, being too eager to start with fish. I'm gonna have to refrain for a month or so, get my CO2 set up, then add livestock, like I should have done in the first place.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooboogoo View Post
Unfortunately I lost my pair of kribs last night. I have no idea what happened, and I didn't have a test kit to figure out if it was the water parameters.

When I left my apartment yesterday morning I checked on the tank and the fish seemed fine, not stressed looking and pretty well colored. Then when I came back that night (about 12 hours later) they were gone from site. I found them hiding under the driftwood. The female couldn't swim straight, and the male didn't swim at all and was having trouble staying upright. Both were breathing heavy, so maybe I thought it was an ammonium spike or something, so I did a 1/2 tank water change quickly, with no change from the fish.

I feel like an idiot, being too eager to start with fish. I'm gonna have to refrain for a month or so, get my CO2 set up, then add livestock, like I should have done in the first place.
Sorry for your losses, it happens... Is the tank cycled? get a test kit

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

apparently it wasn't cycled fully. I haven't tested it yet. I was just waaaay too eager cuz of all the fish that I saw at my LFS.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 06:49 AM
Algae Grower

Sorry to hear, it was looking great too.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, the plants look fine. I forgot to mention I have a banana plant and it's sprouted a new leaf since saturday.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooboogoo View Post
apparently it wasn't cycled fully. I haven't tested it yet. I was just waaaay too eager cuz of all the fish that I saw at my LFS.

Yeah I did that too recently lol... If you've got media from another tank then it should only take 2 weeks tops to get it up to par with the bio load...

Are you using any CO2? or ferts?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, so I decided to add a few smaller fish than large ones, hoping that they won't strain the bioload so much. I got some ember tetras! I also added some fast growing stems (R. indica, and L. palustris) to help. I spent a good amount of time planting that glosso, too, but I all I had were tiny tweezers from my swiss army knife cuz I think I left my planting ones back home.

I tested the water and the parameters seem fine, so I'm gonna hope that the new plants will help. I also got some Flourish Excel to substitute for CO2 until I get pressurized running in a couple weeks. Hopefully that'll help the Blyxa auberti cuz it's not looking so hot.

Ok on to pics:

FTS, sorry, the tank's still cloudy

Is this fin rot? Should I treat it? I was thinking waiting a bit, maybe his fins were nipped at the store? None of the other fishes' fins are like that.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Planted Member

very nice, I need to find some more red plants for my tank, they look great

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, just a little update today. The tetra seem fine, so they beat the krib's record. They're feisty little buggers! Always swimming around and they never hold still enough for me to take a good picture! I'm still figuring out my new dSLR (a used D40 that I managed to get for pretty cheap off craigslist). There definitely seems to be a pecking order being established though, the largest and most red one sometimes defends the area on top of the driftwood during feeding time. haha

Also, that fish with barely any tail fin seems to be doing fine, he keeps up with the rest of them. There aren't any dead fin threads from his tail, so maybe that's a sign of him getting better? Hopefully! So far, I don't think there's any losses, though I thought I got 11 from the LFS, but maybe I was counting wrong, cuz I did ask for 10.

My plans for stocking keep changing (I really want like a 55gal, but maybe after I graduate...and get a job...and a dog... but that's definitely in the future!) but for now, I'm thinking of getting a couple ottos when the tank gets more established, maybe cherry shrimp, a pair of some dwarf cichlid (probably Kribs again), and maybe 6 or so pygmy cories. I'm still debating on the cories, I want the pair to breed and raise the young, so I'll probably nix them so that the cichlids have the bottom to themselves. Any thoughts?

Things I still need to do:
Pressurized CO2
Light timers (I've just been turning them on when I wake up and turning them off when I get home, I need to figure out a light period)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode