Apistogramma Panduro - Breeding Journal (spawned 2/28/10) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Apistogramma Panduro - Breeding Journal (spawned 2/28/10)

I was lucky enough to get a pair of these beautiful fish at my very first fish auction. I bid for these fish on impulse since they looked so nice, not to mention interesting. I knew nothing about them and have never even heard of them. I figured, why not give Apistos a try since I had an extra 10g laying around collecting dust.

Got the pair for $25 and tossed them in the 40B while I prepped the 10g the night I brought them back. they loved the planted tank and colored right up in the 40B. Their tank didn't take much time to set up since I already had it as a plant holdover tank. It was pretty much established. I toss in some almond leaves to soften up the water since these guys come from blackwater streams near Colonia, Peru where the water is very soft/acidic.

It's been about 3 weeks since I had them and they finally spawned today. Out of all places to spawn, they spawned on a almond leaf lol. I guess they didn't like the piece of shale my wife tossed in their for them. I'm looking forward to rearing these fry and hopefully the majority of them will survive. There must be 40-50 eggs.

Here are some not so good pics:

female guarding the eggs

male guarding their territory (the whole tank ) - these pics don't do these fish justice

Updates will come if these fry survive. Keeping my fingers crossed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:59 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
wow great to hear!! im waitng for my electric blue ram pair to breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by problemman View Post
wow great to hear!! Im waitng for my electric blue ram pair to breed
i hate you

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
wow great to hear!! im waitng for my electric blue ram pair to breed
I HATE YOU!! They're so rare to find here in austin that i only got 1. l'm currently trying to find it a partner also Sorry for the thread jack :P *i accidentally hit enter twice*

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:04 AM
Banned

lol dont hate me!!! im breeding them so i can share them on here with everyone!

Quote:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
congrats! pretty fish -hope their fry do well.

cheers-K

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:11 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Oooo, nice. A friend of mine has a couple breeding pairs of A. panduro and they really are a beautiful fish, especially when the males develop that silvery-blue iridescence.

Fingers crossed!

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
That's awesome.

Apistos are such great little fish and great for planted setups. It surprises me that you don't hear them mentioned more around here.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Thanks guys.

I'm really interested to see how their fry rearing behavior turns out. I know Rams are notorious for eating their eggs. These fish seem to be different just from the looks of what's already taken place. Only the female fans and clean the eggs. The male remains at a distance and does not bother her. I'm planning on letting him stay till the babies hatch just to se for myself what takes place. Most likely I'll take both parents out after the fry become free swimming.

Stay tuned.

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
lol dont hate me!!! im breeding them so i can share them on here with everyone!
ok ok in that case i forgive you *steals ram* one question about the ebr how can you tell the difference between the male and female? gl on the breeding speedie

----gauny----

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Banned

i apologize first to speedie for kinda taking your thread over and i really should start one bouth these guys but here is a pic of my pair

the male is to the left and the female to the right.

first ray is longer in male...sometimes but the female is more round and shorter finned.
i was lucky in all the rams i have that the males have really long dorsal rays so it was easy. i hope it runs in the line.

btw speedie i have apisto orange flash still young but i think apistos are great fish and i commend you on buying a apisto as they are a great fish.
i would say leave the female in with the babies for atleast a week she will herd them around for food. she would be a great mother. then siphon the babies into a 5 or half filled 10 and raise them from there using the parents water for water changes. this will help not to shock the babies and it will be aged water.

Quote:
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

No worries. The clutter doesn't bother me :P Nice looking Rams. Although those electric blues never caught on to me. I like the OGs better. To each his own.

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Banned

i find the natural beauty in a fish is so much more pleasing to the the eye. but hey the color in these suckers are amazing!!!! so i bought them....just for people to ask if they were saltwater.

Quote:
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice Apistos! I had never heard off or seen them before. Are they wild caught?
Good luck with the fry
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
what are your water parameters before the almond leaves are added? i really want to give these fish a shot after seeing them here but i have liquid rock at about 7.4 so im resisting the urge to buy them until i figure something out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode