29 Gallon-Second Chance-Setup UPDATE-8-9-10 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
29 Gallon-Second Chance-Setup UPDATE-8-9-10

History:
I have had this tank setup for 1.5 years. It was my first planted tank. I really learned alot and went from a very low tech, low light tank to a high tech, high light tank. About 6 months ago, I had this tank exactly how I wanted. Then, for some reason, it crashed. I don't know what caused it. I kept trying to do what I could to keep it going but the effort was futle and I decided to start from scatch.

I really believe something was up with my substrate. I don't know what, I just couldn't get things to root. I wanted to replace it but I decided to just rinse it over, and over, and over, until it was crystal clear water. I am using many old plants to start and see what happens. If all works, I will probably change things around quite a bit.

Goal:
I just want a viberant, somewhat generic tank for my home recording/production studio room. I am not really focused on hardscape, and may take all of it out at some point. At the beginning, it is just to seperate things out visually. I am planning to have a large assortmant of colorful and healthy plants. I want that to be my visual appeal, not the hardscape. It will be a dutch inspired junglish tank.

Equipment:
Aqueon 29 gallon tank
Aqueon Submersable heater
Ehiem 2215 Classic Filter
Coralife 9watt UV sterilizer
Coalife 36 watt T5 Fixture X 3-108 watts total
Flourite Red, Black, Black Sand mix with some black gravel
"Weed CO2 Grow Setup" that was left at a friends house from a shady roomate.
GLA Diffusor and Drop Checker

Last Journal and Favorite Pics:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...nk-update.html

-----
Start of Journal:
I rinsed all my old substrate for a few hours, getting rid of over a years worth of gunk from not enough water changes, overfeeding, and other beginners mistakes. I bought some new driftwood as well as reused some old. I really wanted to keep my HC "pond" so I moved it to the corner for more planting room. Nothing is really set but I just wanted a fresh start.

I set this up about 2 hours ago:

I will probably adjust many things, just wanted to get a new start and healthy plants again. Hopefully it isn't something else or I am just going to start from scratch lol.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by talontsiawd; 08-10-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
Your previous scape was prety nice. Good luck on your new one.

Last edited by VadimShevchuk; 02-28-2010 at 06:06 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I look forward to seeing your progress! I have question though, if the subtrate was cuaseing problems, shouldn't you replace it?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
I look forward to seeing your progress! I have question though, if the subtrate was cuaseing problems, shouldn't you replace it?
I probably should have but I rinsed it really, really well and I hope that works. If not, I will replace. I am not positive it was the substrate though. If it turns out to be, I will replace with aquasoil.

-Matt

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
looks like a good start. what bulbs are you using?

also, i think your drop checker and diffuser should be lower in the water. both would probably work better if you dropped them down about 4 inches.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
looks like a good start. what bulbs are you using?

also, i think your drop checker and diffuser should be lower in the water. both would probably work better if you dropped them down about 4 inches.

I like it higher because it is easy to cover up. At even 2 BPS, I am in the yellow so I am not concerned about co2 diffusion. It is just blue because I just put it in when I took the pics and had 100% new water.

-Matt

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I had your old thread subscribed, so I will subscribe to this one as well... I'm excited to see what you are going to to here.

On the substrate question, I think you can easily make the old one work depending on your choice of plants. Since you were mostly using stems in the old tank, which should get most of their nutrients from the water column, you should be fine...

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals:

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, update time. I am very glad to say whatever was giving me trouble before is gone. I have had zero issues with plants not rooting, melting or turning black. I don't know what got into my substrate or if something else was going on. Anyway, I am happy I didn't spend money and I like a bit of change so all for the better.

I moved around the driftwood a bit, got rid of one piece, and that is about it. I have just let things grow in a bit. I am getting nice, healthy growth. I want the background to grow in fully, or close to it before I deal with the midground. I have an idea of what I want for the midground but we will see when I get there.

I forget the name of the forground grassy plant but it is finally coloring up a bit. It is a bit too pink for me, should be a maroonish red. I know that will be a bit weird for some people but it should have alot of green too. Anyway, nothing much but a week of growth. Crazy how fast things grow when everything is right.

EDIT-SORRY, I JUST NOTICED THE LENS WAS DIRTY

-Matt

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I just trimmed so it isn't looking it's best and the pictures suck. I am struggling a bit with the hardscape too, I may just go with little hardscape in the future. I didn't do it intentially (except for the front wood) but I feel like everything is a "boarder". I may do some replanting because of this. The left, I just don't like right now. The right needs to grow in. I am not sure what I am going to do yet but I am not content right now with either the hardscape, or the plants. I am happy that they grew to the top and now I get to watch them grow out.

I decided to try dwarf hairgrass for the first time. I have to say, this is the easiest forground plant I have ever worked with. I got a generic pot and could have done half my tank with one. Took 20 min to plant. I think it will work well against the main carpet which is fuller, and has more color.

These pics suck but it is just for reference. Once things grow out and start to look good, I will take some better pics. I think I am off to a good start, I just need to get a better plan. Again, this is right after a trim so not only are the plants low but they are very "straight" and boring atm.

I am really liking the forground too which didn't show up well. It is different but we will see how it turns out in the long run.

-Matt

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is that foreground plant in the last pic? looks like lileaoposis with some color in it.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ils.php?id=216

-Matt

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Can't wait to see this develop. You had that previous scape looking fantastic.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Can't wait to see this develop. You had that previous scape looking fantastic.
Thanks. Hopefully I can get this one to where my old tank was or better. I feeling good for a few weeks right now but it has a long way to go.

-Matt

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Very nice. Once the forground grows in, it will be stunning!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I wasn't able to get good pictures as the sun was still up and was reflecting off my tank. I don't own a digital camera so it is what I can borrow. I tried to take some later and the battery died so this is all I have.

The forground is filling in well. You can't really tell in the pictures but my red plants are starting to color up well. I have always had issues with red plants. I always worried about doesing ferts but I think it is the photoperiod that is working for me.

Anyway, blah pics

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode