20L Downoi Farm **3/26/11 update** - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
20L Downoi Farm **3/26/11 update**

3/26 update
This tank is now an emersed tank with parva carpet still in tact. My farm is now upgraded to a 40B due to rising gas prices.

2/11 update
This tank is no longer a Betta haven. I sold off the bettas I had left and turned it into a High Tech plant farm

__________________________________________________ _____________

I was given the opportunity to raise a brood of Betta Albimarginatas about 3 months ago and ever since I took them in, they've been housed in a makeshift bare bottom 10g. Now they've outgrown that 10g and require a slightly larger home. Living in a small apartment, I don't have much room as it is, but I was able to cram an extra 20L onto my Betta shelf inside my room. . My goal was to make this tank a super low tech setup with no CO2 and very minor dosing, if any. Crypts and java ferns were the main plants I had in mind.

I was able to grab a bunch of plants from my fellow sfbaaps club members and also got my hands on some decent manzanita branches at the same time. This was how it looked without plants about 3 weeks ago:

Before we go any further, here are the specs on this tank:
- 20g long
- Filtration: Fluval 403 Eheim 2234
- Substrate: ADA AS II
- Lights: 2x26W GE 6500K twirlies

Plants: Needle leaf java fern, Crypt green gecko, C. rosanervig, C. wendii ??, C. hudoroi, C. parva, Staurogyne sp. tropica, downoi, HM, anubia nana petite, and mini X-mas moss.

This is how the tank looks currently. It's been cycled for about a week already. Some of the crypts are doing their melt thing, but most are already throwing out fresh leaves. The Bettas love it in there.

Inhabitants:

foreground

FTS's

Now for the fish to mature and start breeding like rabbits. I hope

Thanks for looking guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Last edited by speedie408; 03-26-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 04:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
that's one hell of a start *subscribed*

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #3 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Another awsome tank. Can't wait to see this come together. I really need to go to a sfbaaps event and meet some of you guys.

-Matt

post #4 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Thanks fellas.

Talon - you should def join the club. We've got an awesome group there. What are you waiting for ?

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Love the Layout! Thinking of going wiht the Rutilans personally as they are small and nice red coloring, would love the Albi's but the place I'm getting fish as I have credit to use there can't get these.

Craug

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #6 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love the hill and the branches! I am going for a similar look in my 10, im restarting it 2marrow, but ill be using some rocks to! Cant wait to see this one grow
post #7 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Craig - good luck to you man. I've never kept nor heard of Rutilans till you said it. They look nice, but I think you're just settling with them and won't be fully content in the long run. I say grab a breeding pair of Albis and make your own stock. That's how I got mine. Although the male was already carrying eggs when I "borrowed" the pair. It sped up the process. For what it's worth, I'm already thinking about upgrading to a pair of Macrostomas. I thought I was content with just Albis. NOPE!

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
A well-rendered fish species display in a planted tank--an awesome concept.
post #9 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Craig - good luck to you man. I've never kept nor heard of Rutilans till you said it. They look nice, but I think you're just settling with them and won't be fully content in the long run. I say grab a breeding pair of Albis and make your own stock. That's how I got mine. Although the male was already carrying eggs when I "borrowed" the pair. It sped up the process. For what it's worth, I'm already thinking about upgrading to a pair of Macrostomas. I thought I was content with just Albis. NOPE!
Yeah, I'm actually in the market for some Albis, also came across some Channoides which look almsot identical in color, and size I know where to get some pairs for the tank if I go wiht Channoides. How many Albis do you have?

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #10 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
A well-rendered fish species display in a planted tank--an awesome concept.
That's my goal bro. Wish me luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Yeah, I'm actually in the market for some Albis, also came across some Channoides which look almsot identical in color, and size I know where to get some pairs for the tank if I go wiht Channoides. How many Albis do you have?

Craig
Channoides are pretty much the same as Albimarginatas except their white fins are not as distinguished.

I'm actually getting a pair of Channoides donated to me next week. Can't wait to see how these guys really compare with the Albis. As far as how many... I have 14 sub adults and 20 three week old frys. I haven't actually bred any of these fish myself yet. I just raised them.

Here are a couple more pics of the sub adults enjoying their new home: young male

females chillin

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 224 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
I have 14 sub adults and 20 three week old frys. I haven't actually bred any of these fish myself yet. I just raised them.

Cheater.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #12 of 224 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Two new kids in town. Just got these guys in today. They look pretty cool and will be part of the cleanup crew: Pitbull pleco

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 224 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Ooooooo Love the set up!!! And the betta in the first post second picture is beautiful. What kind is it? And what moss did you attach to manzy? Taiwan?

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."
post #14 of 224 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfish View Post
Ooooooo Love the set up!!! And the betta in the first post second picture is beautiful. What kind is it? And what moss did you attach to manzy? Taiwan?
Fish is a Betta Albimarginata

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #15 of 224 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What are those plants all around this little guy!? I have one, but no idea what it is, and it has yet to grow at all in 2 months... lol. But its still green as can be.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode