4Likes
  • 6 Post By Digitalfiend
  • 2 Post By Digitalfiend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Our daughter's ADA 60-F

This is my second real attempt at a planted tank. My first attempt was with a SeaPora 12" cube and while that one looks alright and is surprisingly stable (i.e. very little algae, water params great, betta is super happy), it feels cramped visually.

Our daughter has been doing really well in SK and so my wife and I surprised her with her own tank. I took this as an opportunity to get something a little wider and ended up with an ADA 60-F. I wanted this to be a somewhat heavily planted tank but ironically didn't spend much time planning it out. (I apologize for the cell pics.)

The initial scape looked this this:

I made the light stand by hacking up some $10 metal sign posts from HomeDepot; I cut the arms off of it to suspend the Satellite+ Pro, which seems to work well. Put some screw protectors on the ends and screwed some cable clamps in the back of the dresser, which allows me to raise and lower the light. It actually turned out pretty clean:

Then I got to planting Eleocharis sp mini, Athernatha reineckii mini, Staurogyne repens. I quickly realised that I probably used too much soil.

Because of the limited space in my daughter's room, the relatively small size of the tank, and the lack of patience to wait for an order from the US, I ended up buying an Ista 1L "Pro" CO2 kit. This is a refillable tank with what seems to be a decent enough regulator. After setting up the CO2 kit, I set the flow to 1 bubble every 3 seconds. Also stuffed some HC into the nooks of the driftwood:

After a week I quickly realized what everyone was talking about with ADA Amazonia and ammonia, which was through the roof at 8 ppm and forced me to delay my plan to add fish. I made the mistake of not doing any water changes for the first couple of days and I think my reinecki and s.repens suffered some ammonia burns!

I also ended up changing the ADA Spin pipe to a Mini P2 (jet style) which improved flow dramatically. Due to the shallowness of this tank, the Spin pipe was really disturbing the soil underneath it; the Mini P2 works much better in this tank.

Since it's really hard to explain the nitrogen cycle to a 5 1/2 yr old and why you shouldn't put fish in a tank with really high ammonia levels, I figured I'd kickstart things with a bit of Fresh Colony bacteria. To my surprise this seemed to actually work and within about a week ammonia dropped drastically.

With the ammonia level under control and nitrites starting to drop, I added a few more plants to give the future fish/shrimp some cover. Ended up going with Anubias nana, Anubian nana "petite", Pogostemon helferi, and some small crypts:

It was around this time that I noticed the start of some beard algae on the AR leaves/driftwood and hard algae on the glass. Unfortunately, being new to all of this I'm still learning about proper dosing of ferts, light levels, etc. I think having the Sat+ Pro on for 12 hrs a day @ 100% intensity and only 12" from the substrate didn't help matters either!

Once nitrites dropped to under 0.25ppm, I introduced the fish waiting in my daughter's 12" cube to the new tank. The Danios seemed really happy about the new tank; the panda corydoras love the grass but don't seem quite as comfortable; the crowntail betta didn't stop exploring for the entire day and seemed quite settled.

My wife wanted some more fish but since we didn't want to go too crazy, we added some ember tetras, pygmy corydoras, an amano shrimp, and some RCS...LOL so much for not overdoing it. We had to move the betta back to his 12" cube because after a couple of days he decided the shrimp tasted much better than bloodworms. The danios might also need to be relocated, as they have WAY too much energy for a nano tank and their scale is all wrong. We're considering putting a 40x18x18 in the kitchen, which may become their new home.

Anyhow, three weeks later and the tank now looks like this:

I had to pull out the HC as it wasn't doing well - RCS love the now open crevices in the driftwood

I've got to say that with the light and CO2, the eleocharis mini is growing exceptionally well, to the point that I need to trim it every couple of days it seems. I feel like I'll now have two lawns to mow this summer.

Tank break down:

Substrate:

ADA Amazonia "new"
ADA Amazonia powder ( 1/2" layer on top )
ADA Power sand - small

Equipment:

ADA 60-F
ADA Mini P2 outflow
ADA Mini V1 inflow

Eheim 2213
Hydro ETH 200w 12/16mm
Current USA Satellite LED Plus Pro 24"
DIY light stand

Ista 1L refillable "Pro" CO2 Kit
Ista CO2 diffuser (will be changing to an Atomic inline diffuser)
Ista metal bubble counter + check valve
Ista drop checker (have a Cal Aqua nano drop checker on the way)

Water parameters (as of 04/15/16):

KH - 2.5 to 3
GH - 5
PH - 6.3 to 6.4
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrites - ~0.125ppm (in between 0 and 0.25ppm on the colour chart)
Nitrates - 20ppm
Temperature - 25.5c / 78 F
CO2 rate - 1 bubble every 3 seconds

Livestock:

12 Ultra red cherry shrimp
1 Amano shrimp
10 Ember tetras
8 Pygmy Corydoras
2 Panda Corydoras*
4 Danios (pink and "green slime" coloured)*

*these fish will likely be moved to a different tank at some point

Plants:

Eleocharis sp mini
Alternanthera reinecki mini
Staurogyne repens
Anubias nana
Anubias nana petite
Pogostemon helferi
Cryptocoryne
Crypt parva

Last edited by Digitalfiend; 04-15-2016 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Added equipment list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice tank and nicely scaped!
It will be awesome once those background plants grow in futher and this tank matures more. Will await updates in the future
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looks good! I also agree you should relocate the Danios to a bigger tank, and bump up numbers on other fish (a big group of Ember Tetras is wonderful). Also, I would get more Pandas for wherever you end up relocating them to as well, try to get a group of 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
Very nice tank and nicely scaped!
It will be awesome once those background plants grow in futher and this tank matures more. Will await updates in the future
Thanks man, much appreciated. I originally wanted to use rocks but couldn't find any that I really liked. I've still got a lot to learn about this hobby but it's incredibly addictive and rewarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opare View Post
Looks good! I also agree you should relocate the Danios to a bigger tank, and bump up numbers on other fish (a big group of Ember Tetras is wonderful). Also, I would get more Pandas for wherever you end up relocating them to as well, try to get a group of 6.
That's definitely the plan! Those little ember tetras are so awesome to watch and they are quite friendly. Any time I'm cleaning the algae of the glass they come over and swarm my hand lol. My wife was the one who suggested we try them and I was really surprised at how much I liked them - they are much more calm than the danios haha.

The pandas will also be getting a few more pals once they are moved. Those two were definitely happier in the 12" cube where it was darker and the layout allowed them to go hide in the back during the day.
Opare and Opare like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Ember tetras are awesome. I'm not a huge fan of danios because they're too energetic and don't give the tank a sense of calmness.

These shallow tanks seem difficult to scape, but you've done a good job! If you're still interested in filling those wood gaps w/ a plant like HC, Monte Carlo can do well in crevices w/ little substrate. They can attach to hardscape pretty well actually.

||
||
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post
These shallow tanks seem difficult to scape, but you've done a good job! If you're still interested in filling those wood gaps w/ a plant like HC, Monte Carlo can do well in crevices w/ little substrate. They can attach to hardscape pretty well actually.
Thanks! I've heard of MC but haven't seen it for sale locally. Something to look into once I get the algae under control!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 10:46 PM
Algae Grower

nice tank!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:04 AM
Algae Grower

How did you mount those custom light stand. I was looking into making those acrylic risers for my light but this style looks way better.

also what material did you purchase at home depot
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Beautiful!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 06:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice balanced tank and excellent choice of plants,great job .....
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 11:58 PM
Algae Grower

awsome tank! Just love everything u did there in the tank and ur daughter
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamchops View Post
How did you mount those custom light stand. I was looking into making those acrylic risers for my light but this style looks way better.

also what material did you purchase at home depot
For some reason I wasn't getting notifications on this thread. I'm sorry for the very late reply.

If you're still interested:

This is what I used to make the light stand: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m...000813538.html
I bought two and cut off one leg from each to make an L and covered the cut ends with plastic screw caps. The arms were then secured to the back of the dresser using 1/4" metal cable straps, two for each arm. The straps are tight enough around the arms to allow me to slide them up and down, letting me adjust the height of the light.

I wouldn't recommend using that sign frame for anything other than a lightweight LED light as the metal isn't very thick. It works well with my Current Satellite+ Pro though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode