3 Gallon Box - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
3 Gallon Box

Hi all,
I've been into fish for as long as I can remember, be it fishing with my Granddad on the River Barrow or keeping Tigger the Goldfish belly down.

A few years back I got my first weekend job as an 'aquatics advisor' at the local garden centre. This is where the interest became obsession!

As my interests grew so did the number of tanks!

So... I thought I would say hello with a few of my tanks as well as the present one, I'll post 1 pic of each and maybe a sentence for each, let me know if you want to see more! I've DIY'd all of the stands and hood's... and in some cases the filtration

First tank of recent history was Ted, Dougal and Jack, about 10 Gallons I think. They went onto a friends pond

New tank, 20G. I went warm and green, some cardinals a couple of oto's and some amano's, these went into the 10 gal.

I then became very interested in puffers! This is what moved into the 20G a Tetraodon Cochinchinensis. Beautiful fish but he hid all day and was as grumpy as they come. Eventually I found a colleague who wanted to take him on. I was happy to wait and see him go to a good home rather than just plop him back in the shop though.

Still loving my puffers I decided to go brackish! I brought home a gorgeous Topaz. I think he was one of the most interesting and amusing fish I have had. Unfortunately this active and fun fish was just too much for the tank. I decided he needed more room and took him back to the shop. Really hope he went to a good home.

In his place went a tiny Figure of Eight puffer along with 6 Bumble Bee gobies.
I think they caught something from some live food and caught a serious bout of ich', after a short struggle I lost them

After this I got my head in some books and got much,much poorer.

It went well and I even decided to expand onto my desk with a pico!

Then it was time for me to go off for uni. I had to sell up everything
My manager gave me a small tank to keep me happy at uni as a nice leaving present. Plants went nuts with no fish, 10wpg, DIY CO2 and laterite.

My second year I had the stupid idea of another marine tank *sigh*.
Nice 10G tank with glass partition for rear sump and top spec equipment all bought cheap second hand. Moving in with the GF for my 3rd year meant selling the livestock and breaking down the tank to keep the bills down... One day it'll be back!

... and another

This is the current low tech, low energy (ish) tank.

Clearseal 12x8x8", 50W heater on an ATC300 temp control which also times the 8W T8. There's an ehiem liberty filter and glass lid to try and get a bit more light in!

This is Gervais, HM Betta. he is a lively chap eats from peoples hands, follows you around the room and like to flare at things he is not sure about

I've attempted to grow plants in there but they all seem to fail. I think if I feel the need to try again I'll replace the gravel with laterite and maybe even repaint the back a lighter colour.

Anyway! That's the cut down version (). Hope you like them!

Best regards,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow! Youve had quite the collection over the years! Very beautiful Marine tanks, and Guitars!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
l really like that black stand with the tank built inside of it. very original. someday i wish to do something like that in the kitchen .

----gauny----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Very nice!
You certainly moved around in the aquarium world
I wonder what's next for you... there is no way you are keeping it at one single little 3g

I always wanted to build a tank into the furniture.. I really like the look of that.

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals:

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 PM
sandie

They are all beautiful. You have inspired me to chronicle my tanks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys
I cheated with the built in tank, the cabinet was already there. All I had to do was strengthen it cut a hole in the side panel, lower a shelf and put two new doors on.

It also helped that there was an air brick in the back as there was a 150W halide stuffed in there too

There is no plan to expand now. I'm hoping to get a flat with my gf within a couple of years and there will be no space and no encouragement from her! I'm just going to have to make do with what I've got... for now

I do want to plant this tank but I'm going to have to find a way of doing it at a low cost. For the record I initially tried some vallis which slowly died back, then some water hyacinth and a small anubis - same story. In a last ditched hope I put in some duck weed and a moss ball... guess what... no duck weed left lol. Algae doesn't seem to grow that much either.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandie View Post
They are all beautiful. You have inspired me to chronicle my tanks!
Thanks, I'm glad!
I wish I had a few more pictures - it was fun going back through them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode