Duke City Aqua's Aquarium Room - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Duke City Aqua's Aquarium Room

Whew, it's been a while since I have posted here! I have still been very active with the hobby, but went to Facebook for sometime due to ease of posting, but was frustrated with the lack of methods to document progression. To summarize my journey thus far, I started with a 15 gallon high tech planted tank in April of 2016, added a 5 gallon high tech bonsai scape, added three more ten gallon tanks for shrimp, mosses and buces, won a 20 gallon planted tank from an AGA raffle in spring of 2017, got married, and had to decommission/rescape several of my tanks! At present, I have 5 planted setups, a 22 long, 20, 10, 5 and 2.5. Please see the images below and thanks for stopping by!

Link to Photo Gallery:

Hybrid Dutch/Iwagumi 15 gallon Aquarium Photo Progression
Duke City Aqua's Fish Room
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7582.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	719258  

Name:	IMG_0358.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	867409  

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	867411  

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	867413  

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	867415  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JuanSan; 08-19-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Updated as of 08/19/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Link to PAR data on FINNEX Lights

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/14...-par-data.html

Bump: Here is some interesting info about Finnex PAR lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JuanSan; 04-07-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Further elaboration.
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Also, if anyone has suggestions on ways adjust the gravel i am open ears!

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:34 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Don't order the plants until you have everything needed. In addition to the co2, you'll need ferts as well.
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I like the rocks!

I would try to angle the rocks a little more, maybe into 45 degree angles relative to the ground. Also, I would create larger mounds of substrate under the rocks. It looks very level and a little too even and symmetrical, not natural. Maybe play around with several layouts and placements. This is the best time to try different things.

The left, tallest rock is definitely one you'd want more towards the middle than on the outside border since it's the biggest and strongest rock of all. Also, more of a slope would help expose the smaller rocks more because once you have plants, they could easily get swallowed up by them. It's happened to me so many times. heheh

Good luck! Amano is definitely inspiring!

||
||
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the suggestion. i do have a DIY CO2 setup that I had been using before, so I was planning on using that until all the parts came in the next week or so... I am really having trouble finding all the parts to make my own regulator though merp...

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Don't order the plants until you have everything needed. In addition to the co2, you'll need ferts as well.
Thanks for the suggestion. i do have a DIY CO2 setup that I had been using before, so I was planning on using that until all the parts came in the next week or so... I am really having trouble finding all the parts to make my own regulator though merp...

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post
I like the rocks!

I would try to angle the rocks a little more, maybe into 45 degree angles relative to the ground. Also, I would create larger mounds of substrate under the rocks. It looks very level and a little too even and symmetrical, not natural. Maybe play around with several layouts and placements. This is the best time to try different things.

The left, tallest rock is definitely one you'd want more towards the middle than on the outside border since it's the biggest and strongest rock of all. Also, more of a slope would help expose the smaller rocks more because once you have plants, they could easily get swallowed up by them. It's happened to me so many times. heheh

Good luck! Amano is definitely inspiring!
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I have been tinkering with the layout for the past day and agree that the larger stone needs to be more of the "centerpiece" I have more fluorite to play with from my low tech aquarium so I will get so more substrate to create mounds. I did receive another larger stone but it had almost no character and resembled a tomb stone...

post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Iteration 2

Here is my second configuration with the stones that I have. Let me know what you think! Also, I have attached the extra stones that i have that I did not use. If I need to substitute or add any let me know!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4920.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	615849  

Name:	IMG_4919.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	615857  

post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think you are off to a great start!
Why have you come to the conclusion you need to build your own regulator? There are plenty on the market and some aren't too costly.
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
I think you are off to a great start!
Why have you come to the conclusion you need to build your own regulator? There are plenty on the market and some aren't too costly.
Based on the general consensus of this website, building a regulator will get you better components at better rate. I have looked at CO2 art , GLA and Aquatek Regulators but the claim is that the needle valves are not the best and finnicky or just over priced.

post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanSan View Post
Based on the general consensus of this website, building a regulator will get you better components at better rate. I have looked at CO2 art , GLA and Aquatek Regulators but the claim is that the needle valves are not the best and finnicky or just over priced.
That makes sense
Will definitely be interested to see your build when its done.
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
That makes sense
Will definitely be interested to see your build when its done.
I decided to heck with it. I just got my tax return so i busted a move and got a GLA regulator and drop checker. I decided to get a 5lb. co2 cylinder so that I would not have to refill it as often. This hopefully will last me a significant amount of time in the long run!

GLA Gro CO2 Regulator | Green Leaf Aquariums

CAL AQUA LABS Nano Drop Checker | Green Leaf Aquariums

http://www.amazon.com/lb-co2-Cylinder-Aluminum-Valve/dp/B00OEJRMUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459913230&sr=8-1&keywords=5lb+co2+cylinder

post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice choice of equipment!!!!
I hopefully will be able to save the pennies to invest in something like this, but being a student makes luxuries like this seem impossible!
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Very nice choice of equipment!!!!
I hopefully will be able to save the pennies to invest in something like this, but being a student makes luxuries like this seem impossible!
Haha i feel you, i had a low tech 12 gal. For 4 years in the dorms and i have to say it was a godsend for my sanity.... Plus it was a really good talking point for any visitors!
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.
post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Ah, this second layout already looks very much improved! Also, don't be shy about using more stones since you've already spent the money for them. Maybe you could add more of the smaller rocks (the five in front in the spare pieces pic) somewhere.

Even if you don't add any more pieces, this looks pretty nice to me. One thing I would do is change the substrate slope slightly. I like the slope from front to back, but I would slope the back part more towards the center since you have this more centered layout. I also think that one of the outermost rocks could either be smaller, or put into the substrate more. It currently looks a little too balanced. Maybe the left-most rock could be adjusted to be lower to make the strongest rock look bigger.

Also, great choice on the GLA regulator. It will last you a very long time.

||
||

Last edited by bereninga; 04-07-2016 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Adding GLA comment
post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I see what you mean now. Thanks for the help! Iteration three here we go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post
Ah, this second layout already looks very much improved! Also, don't be shy about using more stones since you've already spent the money for them. Maybe you could add more of the smaller rocks (the five in front in the spare pieces pic) somewhere.

Even if you don't add any more pieces, this looks pretty nice to me. One thing I would do is change the substrate slope slightly. I like the slope from front to back, but I would slope the back part more towards the center since you have this more centered layout. I also think that one of the outermost rocks could either be smaller, or put into the substrate more. It currently looks a little too balanced. Maybe the left-most rock could be adjusted to be lower to make the strongest rock look bigger.

Also, great choice on the GLA regulator. It will last you a very long time.

Tags
aquascape, dutch aquarium, hybrid, iwagumi, small tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode