New 90p iwagumi madness...Just added New Pics and need your opinion(updated 5/4) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
New 90p iwagumi madness...Just added New Pics and need your opinion(updated 5/4)

Well here i go again starting another tank. Well if you were following my first attempt at a planted tank with my 60p youre gonna love what my wife just let me get.

After watching my first tank evolve i realized that i needed to get something bigger. So i was on my best behavior for about 3 months so that i can smoothly work in the thought of getting a bigger tank with my wife. After much begging she finally gave in and let me go at it.

Here it is.

ADA 90p
Tek Light 36"
Eheim 2028
Pressurized co2 system
Aquasoil II
Shou Stones
Im planning on using HC and Mini Pelia
Thinking of keeping it simple and nice.

I ordered my tank and decided to build me an ADA style stand. i used birch wood and stained it dark mahogony. I loved the look of the hanging style light stand so i decided to build me one also.

I just got in my ADA 90p tank in and excited to set things up

Here is my first layout idea.. Im open to any suggestions and constructive help with my layout. Again im planning on making this into a shrimp tank iwagumi style.

Should i rearrange the rocks? the only reason i have the tall rock where it is, is because there is a stupid light switch on the wall. So i decided to use the rock to block that out from view..lol

Lmk what you guys think...please be gentle cause its my first attempt at an iwagumi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by defiant; 05-05-2010 at 06:53 AM. Reason: updated pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)
do you mind giving details on the DIY stand?
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
Nice stones you have there, also nice work on the stand, it looks great! I am also just starting my first Iwagumi, so my advise is not that credible.

Quick question: If you want to hide the light switch behind the tank, why not add a background? If you like the white colored background your wall has, just throw a white sheet of cardboard or something on the back of your tank. Thus letting you shift your largest stone to the place the Golden Rule suggests your focal point should be. I was told you divide the length of your tank by 2.618, giving you that sweet spot to assign your center piece.

In the eyes of a aquascaping noob (myself), your formation of rocks seems very clustered. The three rocks that make up peaks to the left of your largest rock, seem to be very level across the top of them. Maybe try tilting and lowering/raising a one or two of them.

Good luck sir, given the nice stand, stones, and tank you have, I feel however you scape this it will turn out really good. Can't wait to see how she evolves!

Pimp #420

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
here are some examples of good iwagumis. google is your best friend:

http://www.adana.co.jp/_e_products_t...uokaisetsu.jpg

http://www.aquajournal.net/na/layout...s/index_03.jpg

hopefully these are helpfull.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I personally think its quite clustered, i saw spread some of the rocks out just a bit, maybe not as much as the ones posted above, but maybe just a bit more and angle them different, i love the one smaller one on the right side angled toward the camera almost. Very cool, i wish i could find cool rocks like this around here.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
spread more these rocks in there
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (24/100%)
I actually like it,yeah it needs to be tweeked a bit but I still like it. Maybe stick to your name and be defiant,set it up the way it looks right to you. Best part is you can always move it later which is what happens anyway.I'm always making little adjustments in my hardscape as the plants grow in and change the look of the tank

clogwood
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I like the rocks. I think its an attractive formation and looks natural. Check out these pics of Totem Pole and Three Sisters. reminds me of them.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CBkQ9QEwAw

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Algae Grower

Thank you NJaquabarren, thats what I was thinking of.There are lots of natural rock formations that don't always look-natural or real-.I think this layout is different and has lots of potential

clogwood
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post
I like the rocks. I think its an attractive formation and looks natural. Check out these pics of Totem Pole and Three Sisters. reminds me of them.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CBkQ9QEwAw

ok here is another different layout.. thanks for the link i got some inspiration. i think that this looks more natural.

any comments or suggestions on this layout? or does the first one look better?

post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Algae Grower

I liked the first one,I like the second one more. This is a tank that will be very interesting to watch develop

clogwood
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I also like the second one more, but I find that the two large rocks standing vertically a bit distracting.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Algae Grower

Nice equipment and excellent rocks.

I like the potential here. Personally, I think the positioning of the main stone (the tallest one in your scape) could be more to the right - I am sure you've read about the golden ratio, etc etc, but I think it also serve a more practical purpose in your particular scape. As it is currently positioned (too close to the corner), I imagine that cleaning the glass around that corner would be tricky without accidentally knocking the rock over.

Good luck.

-Riverboa

-Riverboa

|ADA120P|Aquavas90|ADA60P|Ecopico|
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok here are some new pictures of my recently planted 90p. I just put in some HC for the foreground..it was grown emersed so should i start dosing with fertz or what?
I also put some mini pellia and will be adding some flame moss tmorrow.

I made me an acrylic spray bar and intake tube and i also installed all the pressurized co2 stuff running at 2bbls/sec for now.

My stand is fully stocked with ferts tools and filter and misc supplies so im ready to rock and roll hope you like it.

I will be updating it as the tank fills in. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I also like the second one more, but I find that the two large rocks standing vertically a bit distracting.
+1 l'm not trying to be harsh or anything but if you want a iwagumi layout to stand out l would suggest looking at how rock formations look in nature and try applying it to your aquarium. ask yourself this...Would my layout look like this in nature? You got a good selection of stone now take advantage of this and show us what you got

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode