The Planted Tank Forum banner

It's finaly here--265GAL

43K views 171 replies 55 participants last post by  fietsenrex 
#1 · (Edited)
after watching journals for about 2 years, I've moved to a bigger house which allowed me to have a bigger tank.

it's massive at 200x70x70cm which translates to 78''x27''x27"
it has a sump which is 140x50x40 (55"x20''x16")
so that puts the total system at about 1200L (317GAL)

hardware:
-the lighting is a copy of this build
-since the tank is quite huge, I'm going to build 1 or 2 cerges style reactors to dissolve the CO2.
-I will run 2 DCS7000 pumps (both at 50-70% of their power) for redundancy and to be able to adjust flow and current in the tank and the reactors.
and to control it all I'm going to use the Robo-tank which is a spin-off from the Iaqua

Livestock:
8-10 Pterophyllum scalare sp Rio Nanay-Eimekei (has been adjusted to 11 manucapuru redbacks)
8-10 geophagus winemilleri (already have 4 and plan on sticking with the 4 of them)
all the others are still unknown

plants: (for now)
echinodorus bleheri
echinodorus martii
echinodorus rubin
sagittaria teres
alternanthera rosaefolia

hardscape will consist of spiderwood and sand as substrate

that is about it for now, the tank is currently full of water to check for leaks and I'm waiting for my next pay-check so I can order the rest of all the parts and complete the build.

Attachments

See less See more
#16 ·
The stand still needs to be dressed ;) so you won't see anything of the equipment.

Looks like a perfect location for a lobster tank if you get bored with plants and fish that you can't eat....

If not, tank looks like a natural divider between kitchen and kitchen table. Since I see the lights over the table, what was there before the tank?
Nothing, the lamps are just ikea lamps with an industrial look to them

#15 ·
Looks like a perfect location for a lobster tank if you get bored with plants and fish that you can't eat....

If not, tank looks like a natural divider between kitchen and kitchen table. Since I see the lights over the table, what was there before the tank?

#17 ·
The stand still needs to be dressed ;) so you won't see anything of the equipment.

i have a similar setup as you. i decided to keep my sump visible as i enjoy watching the filter in operation. also keeps me honest as to water levels and cleaning. seeing the entire process (from finished tank to the nuts/bolts of mech. filtration/heating/bio filtration/uv/return pumps, etc.) is kinda neat imo.
from all the tank pics here on the forum, i know i'm in the minority.:grin2:

looking forward to watching your build!

#18 ·
You are doing what I am planning to do! I am looking forward to every single step. Please continue to share.

#80 ·
Can you post an updated pic that shows your lighting system in your canopy? I have bought all the stuff for my LED lights. I have been trying to figure out how to place them in the canopy. My plan was to do something similar to yours. I just want to see how you have your heatsinks hanging.

I built a light similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeV0ZpYeQ50. I have only attached the LED's to the heatsink thusfar. I'm building 2 lights that have 3 rows each. Each row is 12 inches long.

This is what I was going for.
(The image is not to scale)

#29 ·
tiny update..
just finished the 1st layer of high-gloss white after 2 layers of primer

life keeps me pretty much occupied the whole time.. hopefully I can finish painting this weekend and then finish the wiring on the lights and get them in to place *sigh*

Attachments

#33 ·
Well, there is some more progress to report :p
Got a big part of the plumbing build and started building the interior of the cabinet :)
It's starting to look like a fish tank instead of a glass box after a month of waiting for money and parts

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.