Two Mini-S aquariums planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Two Mini-S aquariums planted

Greetings,

I thought I'd make my first post an aquarium log.

For now I have started up two ADA Mini-S aquariums. Really nice aquariums.

I know this is a forum for planted fish aquariums, but I have started two tanks with amphibians : one freshwater, and one brackish water.

Both have low water levels, which doesn't give me much volume to work with.

The first tank I want to show is my ADA Mini-S :

I went for a simple approach. The filter is a zoomed 501. I placed some pebbles / gravel below the driftwood to prevent sand from flying all over the place. Also placed some moss to further slow down the current. The substrate is "Sarawak Sand" which I bought from aqua forest aquarium in San Francisco.

The residents are fire-belly newts (C. Orientalis). Here is a photo of them both :

I think they like each other? They're always clumped together. Most of my newts have never been this social. Hanz is on the right and Roberta is on the left. Hanz was in quarantine for about 5 days and eventually made it into the "haven". I wish to give them a much larger terrestrial area (though they really love spending time in the water, and rarely go up onto the log even when the filter is off), so in the works is an ADA 45-F. I plan to try and modify the pump to give an even flow so that the water flows from the terrestrial portion down into the water where the intake is.

My next tank is actually a DoAqua Mini-S.

Same setup as the last, but with brackish water (1.010 salinity). I went for a simple setup as this creature just thrashes all over the place. Oh, I forgot to introduce the creature - his name is Sparky and he is a Nigerian Mudskipper.

Strange creature he is :

But endearing nonetheless. I really don't know what to make of him. I can stare at him for hours.

A closeup shot so you guys can see what the tanks really look like.

Sparky will receive a 60-F. I absolutely love the dimensions of the 60-F and enjoy it when plants break the surface of the water. Mudskippers require a great deal of surface area more so than depth (and the same with newts). I really enjoyed planting these shallow aquariums.

I recently purchased covers for both tanks to slow down the rate of evaporation, so the light doesn't quite illuminate the plants as much.

In addition to the uber-newt tank and sparky's 60-F, I'm currently deciding between a 60-H or a 75-P. ADA is pricey .

Anyways, hope me posting the amphibian tanks didn't infringe upon the forum rules .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Haha, the bottom photo made me laugh, the Mudskipper looks as if it's squinting and saying "what are you looking at?".
Also, you're going to upgrade the tank(s)? What are you going to do with the tanks? If nothing planned, you still could make a "true" planted tank! =D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey Vincent,

I will definitely turn those two mini tanks into flush green jungles. Until then they house my amphibians.

The mudskipper is definitely comical.

By "upgrade" I mean changing them both to 45-F for the newts, and 65-F for the mudskipper (donno if this is a good idea. He can probably jump out of that one).

I like the "F" series of tanks :

Incredible dimensions... So many possibilities.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Is that your tank in the pic? If so, what is that basket for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
The mudskipper is awsome. In my opion i would make better use of a tank that cost alot more then a rimmed one.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well..

I was at the local shop today and purchased an axolotl with a 20 gallon tank. Will post pictures soon...

Tank cost 34.99

Axolotl was 70.00

Can't wait to plant this thing.

Vincent: Not my tank. Maybe the basket is for the floating plants?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode