LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Teile zerstreuten sich in der Garage

New tank in the works.

Updates 7-12-10 in red

50 gallon ( 36x18x18 ) glass tank

Ordered some stuff today, already had some. All of the goodies are at home in my garage now-going on vacation next week and I have to get a new desk ( smaller than my current monster of a desk, to make room for the tank ) before I will be able to set this tank up.
Hardware ;

50 gallon glass tank
Rena XP3 canister filter
Hydor Pico 600 Zoo Med Powersweep Powerhead
2x Marineland Stealth heaters 150w each Hydor inline heater2x Coralife T5NO 36" fixtures 6700k and 10000k T5 bulbs-2 each-84w total.
Possibly DIY or pressurized CO2 later. Still undecided.
Substrate ;

Either Aquasoil Amazonia ( I ended up with some AS original and some II-some doofus ordered it incorrectly ) or inert gravel. Black in color in either case. How much ADA would I need for this tank?
Ferts ;

EI using dry ferts from GLA.

Flora ;

Not completely decided at this point. I know I will have some various crypts ( parva foreground--I think ) blyxa japonica and aubertii, large ozelot sword from my 29g, and various stems--looking for suggestions for some red. Cryptocoryne spiralis, Blyxa japonica, E. tennelus 'micro', Aponogetoncrispus, Staurogyne 'porto velho' - unsure of the rest. I think I might want some red in the tank, but not sure what direction Im going there-probably stick to all shades of green.
Fauna ;

1x Rainbow Shark ( female-big grumpy girl--shes beautiful though. )
10x Corydoras trileanatus

5x Otocinclus

5x Nerite snail ( zebra, olive, tiger mix ) Not sure I can keep snails alive--Ive killed all of them except for the mini ramshorns that are thriving.

Still undecided on upper/mid level fish. Was thinking Tiger Barb mix ( albino, green, standard ) but Im unsure if I would tire of the constant movement or if I would enjoy it. Ive also read that people have had issues with Tiger Barbs attacking Corydoras--I cant have that. I still have some deciding to do here. Open to suggestions or warnings. The only fish that I can say I dont care for --hatchets. I just dont like them.

Plan of attack ;

Driftwood and stone--undecided on scape but I have the stone and waiting for the wood from Rod

I plan to make some tunnels to go on both ends of the tank made from black pvc. These would serve as caves for my shark and corydoras. I picture them being under the substrate on both ends against the glass with just the opening showing. I plant to accomplish this by laying the pvc flat ( 2" or 2 1/2" pvc should work I think ) and using silicone to secure two pieces on each end. One piece would go along the side glass, the other along the rear. In the rear corner would be an open area that will have a shelf or terrace above it. This will serve as the 'cave' area. On the terrace I have envisioned having 3 inches of substrate with plants in the corners. ( Very hard to describe this as I have it in my head--I will photoshop it later when I have time. ) At the entrance and exit of the tubes I will use 90* elbows cut to the appropriate height and smoothed to make it safe for fishies.

My only real concern is that the tunnels and cave areas wont have a lot of flow due to being closed off. Any thoughts on addressing that or if you think it will be a huge issue?

I still have to decide on a center piece. I had looked at zebra rock, quartz, petrified wood etc and still havent settled on something to put as the centerpiece. I plan to have the back and sides of the tank lined with crypt spiralis. I plan Aponogetoncrispus in the corners of the tank with Blyxa japonica in front of that and then E. tennelus 'micro' and finally Staurogyne 'porto velho' in front of that. Kind of like terraces of plants from tall to short around the tank. Im sure that the tennelus and the staurogyne will end up intermixed-but oh well. And then some sort of island in the middle. I had pictured having anubias petite growing on some driftwood or through/around some stones in the center with a ring of E. tennelus 'micro' or Blyxa around that. Imagine the E. tennelus 'micro' being used as you would use monkey grass along the front walk at home. My concerns are that the light would be too intense for the anubias in the center of the tank with no shade. I dont know that I want a carpet plant--I kindof like having some empty substrate paths through a tank and I dont want to have to trim the carpet plants and chase those clippings all over the tank.

Thoughts or suggestions? I know some of the things I described are hard to picture in your mind the same way I picture them in mine. Again, I will sit down soon and draw it out in photoshop.

Last edited by shane3fan; 07-12-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This plan went out the window, it sounded cool in my head, but I dont think it will work out like I had hoped. I will be doing a more standard driftwood/stone scape instead.
This is what I have in mind as far as plant layout--it isnt to scale--but...

dark blue= crypt spiralis--I have some that is nearing the top of my 29 gallon tank--think it would look good as a grassy background plant.

aqua = Aponogeton crispus

purple = blyxa japonica

pink = Staurogyne 'porto velho'

green = E. tennelus 'micro'

I will sketch what I meant by the tunnels and terraces later.

Last edited by shane3fan; 07-26-2010 at 02:30 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Sounds really interesting! For that size tank, 3 bags of Aquasoil will be more than enough. You might be able to get away with two, with all the pipes and such in there as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This gives a little idea of what the tunnel system I have in mind would look like from above. All but the openings would be covered by substrate.

Last edited by shane3fan; 07-12-2010 at 03:36 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I received the Rena XP3 and was wondering if anyone had any input as to a good plan for good circulation without blowing my fish and plants away. I was planning on using a small powerhead along with the XP3 but Im undecided on the location of filter intake, spray bar and powerhead. Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Im also concerned that the pipe idea wont work out well because of a lack of flow. Im working on ways to make that work.

I plan to have the intake for the canister filter in the middle of the back of the tank, and split the outflow to both sides of the tank using pvc painted black.

Last edited by shane3fan; 07-12-2010 at 03:38 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just ordered 3x 9 liter bags of ADA AS and 1x 2 liter bag ADA Power Sand Special.

Ive got everything except the tank, plants and fishies. I still havent decided on a stocking plan for this tank. And, Im actually considering a 40B instead of the 50 gallon. The only difference is the 2" in height difference. Im not sure.

Fish; Ive grwon fond of my White Cloud Minnows that are in my 10 gallon ( that is sitting where the new tank will go, beside my recliner ) I also love the looks of some of the smaller Synodontis catfish---I need to do some research on those though ( feeding and water temp ) I may end up giving up my Rainbow Shark ( she is gone now-rehomed her ) because she doesnt really fit with the theme of the rest of the tank. I dont want to build a tank around ONE fish-especially one 6 inch fish.

Couple of questions ;

How many White Clouds do you think would be a good number? I know they breed like crazy ( mine have already spawned--and eaten the eggs--in my 10 gallon planted tank )
Would Synodontis catfish fit in a tank that is 75* or less and would they destroy my plants?

I would love to have a tank similar to speedie408's ;

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...8-updated.html

but I dont think I can accomplish that without CO2 and more light. I dose Excel, so it may work--not sure. I have CO2 now--may need more light? I still may copy his now 'RIP' 40B

Last edited by shane3fan; 07-12-2010 at 03:42 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK-Ive decided to check into going sub tropical with the tank. 72-75*F tank temp, maybe a little cooler. Small fish breeds-multiple schools of them?

Lucania goodei--bluefin killifish x10?
White Cloud Mountain Minnows x15?
Aphyosemion bivitattum -- Red Killifish x5?
some sort of Corydoras x10?
Otos after some algae starts x5
snails--Im sure they will be there, no matter what.

Any other suggestions for a cool water planted tank? I wonder how many of each smaller fish would work? The numbers above would make 35 fish in a 50 gallon. I wonder what sort of mid sized fish would work in cooler water? My Kribensis is suited for a little warmer water from what Ive read--I wonder if he would do OK in the cooler environment? If so, this tank would be set as far as Im concerned unless someone can give me some good reasons not to proceed with the stock list above.

Still working on a stocking list but Im not going sub tropical--looking more along the 78-80*F range. Without heaters running my other tanks are hovering around the 80* this summer. I dont imagine I can keep the tank at anything lower than that without a chiller and Im not going that route. The ADA goodies showed up today. The tank, plants and fish are the only things missing now.

Last edited by shane3fan; 07-12-2010 at 03:47 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have so many ideas of things I would love to have this tank be.

Im not sure that anyone reads any of these build threads until they have pictures in them-lol. I could take some pictures of all the crap I have in my garage that isjust waiting for me to finish other projects around the house. Once I get somewhat caught up I have to build to matching cabinets. One for the tank and one for the other side of the fireplace. I am putting this tank in my living room in a built in bookshelf. There are matching bookshelves on each side of the fireplace. So, I have to build matching cabinets/stands on each side. Im not a carpenter, so this should be comical at the very least. Change of plans for location--I am putting a 12g long tank where this one was going to go--so this one is going to go beside my 29g in my man cave ( spare bedroom-not much of a man cave in all reality ).

Im beginning to question my ability to provide an environment for cool water fish without having a chiller. It will no doubt reach 100* here this summer. With my A/C running full blast it will be 75-80* in my house at best. Probably closer to 80* during the day in the hot months. This has been confirmed--80* house temp and 78-80* water temp in my tanks right now without heaters on.

So, I once again have to reconsider my stocking. I already have 5 White Clouds in a 10 gallon tank that will be going into this 50. If I had any real faith that I could provide the cooler water that the killifish need I would proceed with those. However, the Lucania goodei will require cooler water than I can provide. I am sure they could LIVE for a while in my water, but they wouldnt thrive.

Ive also tossed the idea of the tunnel system for fear that it wouldnt have enough flow through the tunnels and cause health issues for the fish and plants.

Oh, and I changed the title for the tank. I will change it a few times throughout its life Im sure. The current name--according to an online translator--means "parts scattered in the garage"

Last edited by shane3fan; 07-12-2010 at 05:23 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
Sounds really interesting! For that size tank, 3 bags of Aquasoil will be more than enough. You might be able to get away with two, with all the pipes and such in there as well.

I used 3 LARGE bags of Aquasoil for my 55 gallon and it was fine.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
So long as your tank temp doesnt rise above 80ish you should be fine.
Your pal,

Piano

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

All parts are in except for the inline heater. Does anyone have a recomendation for an inline heater for a 50 gal tank using an XP3?

There are so many different directions that my head has gone in for stocking this tank--both with fauna and flora. A 50 gallon gives me TOO MANY options--lol.

This is the wood that I got from Rod for this tank, this is actually 3 pieces together---is it too much for the tank? ;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wood.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	22069  

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Good start and cool wood.

I'd go with a 300w Hydor ETH for heat.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

How does this look for stocking this thing? Also, how would you go about adding this many critters without crashing the tank? I was thinking of adding them in the order they are listed--thoughts? Ive got some research to do on the Apistos--Im unfamiliar with harem breeders. I dont especially care if they breed, I just dont want them at war in my tank.

5 x Apistogramma agassizii (Apistogramma agassizii)
1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus)
7 x Oto (Otocinclus vittatus)
17 x Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi)
25 x Red Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Water changes with Aquasoil---are daily changes really needed? If so, can I get away with just adding about 1/3 capacity instead of filling her up?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

After doing more research I have answered my own question about the water changes--I will just do a dry start method and not have to hassle with the constant water changes.

We put an offer in on another house and if it goes through I will have a basement with climate control to put my tanks in. SWEET!

Anyway, this tank is on hold until then. I dont see any point in setting it up just to take it back down in 3 or 4 weeks to move it.

Stocking I think is pretty much down to ( this all is dependent on what type of water parameters the new house has--I havent had a chance to test the water there yet--it is well water instead of city water ) ;

7 x Oto (Otocinclus vittatus)
19 x Cherry Barb (Puntius titteya)
12 x Harlequin Rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha)
7 x False Julii Cory (Corydoras trilineatus)
5 x Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) I actually only want one pair in the end. But I dont expect them to be easy to purchase as a pair.
1 x Rubbernose pleco

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode