Metaframe 10G & 20G rebuild - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Metaframe 10G & 20G rebuild

I have been looking for a nice Metaframe tank for a few years now. Yesterday the opportunity to get a 10G and a 20G with the original matching SS hoods presented itself...for $60 delivered. How could you resist?

I have contacted a local glass company about cutting some Starfire glass panels to rebuild the tanks. I may do tempered glass bottoms although it really isn't needed on tanks of this size. The original tar sealant has mostly deteriorated plus I'm really not fond of seepage found on slate bottom tanks.

I would like to do an LED retrofit in the hoods; I have to figure out how to mount the hardware as the hoods are literally a single piece of bent sheet metal. I would rather not put holes/screws in the metal as it will be visible from the outside. Still have to think about my options here.

The plan currently is to build a stacked stand (20G on top, 10G down below) from curly maple or some other semi-exotic wood. Intake/outflows will be SS.

I am still undecided about the stock, but I have a long time to think about it. My initial thoughts are CRS/Tibees in the 10G and a small group of N class Orchid Endlers from Adrian in the 20G. Both tanks will be low tech planted...I have a ton of Nana Petite, Buces, and some small crypts that I think would thrive.

Anyways, onto the teasers (everything is as is - dirty but overall pretty good shape)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160328_004.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	611537  

Name:	WP_20160328_010.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	611545  

Name:	WP_20160328_008.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	611553  

Name:	WP_20160328_009.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	611561  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Man that takes me back . I would love to have those . Maybe you could figure something to put in the hoods as a brace to attach lights to ?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Nice score on the tanks , even better one on the lights . I've got a bunch of these from years ago , plus just got a 29 . I redid a couple of 10's years back replacing the slate bottom with 1/4" wired glass .worked pretty well . If it's still available maybe I'll see about using some for the 29 when the time comes . What about using something like JB Weld to fasten aluminum , acrylic , or pvc mounts to the stainless and then mount the led ?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
Man that takes me back . I would love to have those . Maybe you could figure something to put in the hoods as a brace to attach lights to ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by someoldguy View Post
What about using something like JB Weld to fasten aluminum , acrylic , or pvc mounts to the stainless and then mount the led ?
I might simply build a frame that will fit under the hood without actually attaching to the hood itself. I'm concerned about using some kind of adhesive to attach anything in fear of it dropping into the water. Being that the hood is wider than the tank I should be able to make the frame flush with the inside of the hood but still supported by the tank rim.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode