Emmersed to Immersed - Backyard Plant Photos - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Emmersed to Immersed - Backyard Plant Photos

Hey all!
Just thought I'd overshare some pics and info on a plant i've been working with. I know i'm too excited about it, but hey, tinkering is fun!

Recently I decided to try growing a small moss type plant that I've seen around the Northwest in wet/dark locations in my nano!

Here are some exciting pictures from a few weeks of growth. I'm not sure it will keep growing well, but if this can actually keep doing well underwater this will be a fun and awesome looking plant to use in any nano
It reminds me of little stars, like a tiny tiny Tonina Fluviatilis

Still working (lazily) on an actual plant I.D.

Sorry for the picture quality (and dirty glass in the tank pic), this is a really small plant and I don't have the equiptment to get better pics

I'm gonna keep messing with it, I want to see if I can get a thick carpet or bush of the stuff.

How I found it in my backyard:
(dark green, delicate see through leaves, kind of on a "stem" but only grows in mats in other mosses)

A patch grown in my nano, this is about a week and a half of growth (the bright green tops, the darker green is dying off)

And here's the first baby stems that I put in 3 weeks ago, plucked out of the tank for a photoshoot, the original plant is basically dead, but small new growth is all over it.
Note: you can also see this piece in the above underwater picture, in the right top corner of the pic

Aqua'd
Clean Filter, Trim Plants, Change Water, Dose Fertz, Feed Fish, Repeat!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm from Vancouver, BC and recognize that moss, although I have no idea what it is called. It does thrive in the moist, relatively warm forests and is not aquatic. It may like being damp, but you won't have long-term success with it submersed. I'd use it in a riparium though. I could see it doing really well in one of those.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Yeah, I figure it'll start falling apart in another month or so, but depending on how bushy and well it behaves after it gets more growth, It might be fun to use with some constant replanting and care. I think Hemianthus Umbrosum is also not a true aquatic, and mine sort of "dies" where it gets planted under the sand, then floats up. Maybe this stuff will be easy enough to manage.

I like the idea for a riparium, or maybe growing on driftwood poking out of the water!

Aqua'd
Clean Filter, Trim Plants, Change Water, Dose Fertz, Feed Fish, Repeat!

Tags
backyard, emmersed, immersed, survive immersed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode