20 gal Long Iwagumi (filled) with Aquatic Magic's Free Lily Pipes! 3/14/10 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
20 gal Long Iwagumi (filled) with Aquatic Magic's Free Lily Pipes! 3/14/10

Hi all, this is my first journal here on plantedtank.net and I'm pretty excited! I've kept fish for a long time, went through community tanks, then african chiclids, and now planted tanks. I've tried doing planted tanks before but I always tried doing everything "ghetto-ly" with terrible results, so this time, I figure I'd take my time and do things right.

It's a 20 gallon long, planted iwagumi style. I'm currently growing HC and dwarf hairgrass emmersed until it fills in.

The substrate is weird, I started with flourite black and black sand from an older attempt on a 10 gallon, then, not having enough for a 20gal long, and not having access to any flourite black around here for a decent price, I picked up a bag of Activ-Flora at petco since it was pretty cheap. Then, i realized I still didn't have enough so I bought a 3L bag of aquasoil amazonia II from AFA in San Francisco last time I was there to cap the whole thing. I don't plan to really change my tank up so I don't think the substrates will mix too much.

It's been going for about a week and a half now and i definitely notice the HC is starting to fill in, and I see some new growth on the hair grass. I plan to plant blyxa japonica in the back once I fill it with water. Can blyxa be grown emmersed? If so I'll start growing it now

I know the rocks look weird, like the big one is a different color than the others, but I like the way it looks, plus I got these rocks for free!

I'm currently piecing together my equipment, I have a t5ho 24" light, 48 watts, which I know is less than enough lighting, as its not even 3 wpg, but I read Tom Barr's post about lighting at AFA and I think this should be more than enough.

For filters, I plan to use an xp2 canister, and i'm piecing together a co2 system right now.

Hopefully, in about a month I'll be able to fill the tank with water and green neon tetras!

SOOO EXCITED!!

Last edited by IWANNAGOFAST; 03-15-2010 at 04:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to timme278
looking goooddddd i think the biggest rock needs to be burried a bit more in, so it doesnt look like its just been shoved on top if you get me?

keep up the good work my friend

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
great start i think 48w of t5 high output will be plenty of light

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
me likee
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I like it a lot! I agree to bury the big rock a little so it looks more like it's emerging from the bottom rather than sitting on top of the substrate. I say this on every dry start I see on here, but the method that has worked best for me on HC is filling it up after three weeks/a month. Once it's rooted it'll love being in the water.
To answer the Blyxa question, it CANNOT be grown emmersed. But it pairs really nicely with HC so it'll look great once you fill it.
Also, if you're piecing together a Co2 system, check out my FS thread in the SnS, I've got a top of the line needle valve for sale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The big rock is already buried by like, 3 inches of substrate, its a REALLY big rock haha.

But, I can see how it would look like it's just sitting on top cuz of that indentation. Thanks for the advice! more pics to come later. I just picked up all my co2 supplies from foster and smith.

The hairgrass is taking SO long to grow, maybe cuz i only used 1 pot of it vs 2 pots of hc....
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

here's an update, guess it's been about 3 weeks since i planted? dunno, forgot to keep track, but looking at the older picture, it looks like the hc is growing pretty nicely.

The hairgrass on the other hand is taking it's sweet time, grrrrr

there seems to be a lot of growth in the middle but not so much on the sides due to the light (its a 24 inch long t5ho light, and the tank is 30inches long) is there anyway to remedy this other than moving the lights everyday to a different spot of the tank?

I spritz the tank with a mixture of excel, do! aqua be green, API leafzone and water to keep the substrate moist and give some nutrients. I'm not sure on the exact concentration of each but i think its about equal parts of each and triple the amount of water.

anyways, heres some pics i just took

compared to last week (2/14)

and a FTS, sorry the glass is filled with condensation

I'm sooo close to having all my equipment ready, i just need to build my inline heater/reactor, get a bubble counter and find an O-ring for my xp2 canister. It's part 29 if anyone can help me out, it's sold out everywhere!!

Once I have everything i'll fill it, but until then I don't want to rush and fill it before I get all this stuff and have another disaster tank
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Nice emersed growth. I recently filled a tank with similar flora (HC in the front, DHG in the back) and had pretty good success with the HC but the DHG really didn't take off until the tank was filled.

Net I wouldn't be worried if the DHG is taking its time relative to the HC, its probably building roots and acclimating.

Also, maybe you can angle the big rock forward a bit to hide the gap at the substrate line?

45g ADA 90p (early days)
2g Do!Aqua cube (unplanted for now)

Edge Tuning: 26W lighting conversion -
-
-
- lunar lights
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
great growth on the HC.

In my experience hair grass is slow to get established so i wouldn't worry too much yet.

As far as getting light on the whole footprint of the tank. raising the light is always a pretty easy way to do that.

cheers-K

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
l like the whole idea of the dhg in the background and hc in the front. l always wanted to try a technique such as that but i never did. looking forward to seeing how this one turns out in the end.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Looks really good. I just started a 10 gallon rock scape and it has stones the size of yours, make me wish I had a bigger tank. Looks really good and even though that combo of plants has been done over and over, I still love it.

-Matt

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yeah, i know everyone does hc and dhg, but i love the look of it! I just bought another pot of dhg and im gonna plant that tonight to help quicken up the carpeting.

as far as the rock goes, i'm hoping once the dhg fills in, it'll look better and more "covered"
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well, I decided to move my tank out of my room and into the backyard for the rest of the emmersed growth session to save on some electricity and hopefully speed the process up.

The tank is covered with saran wrap and the glass lid, and small rocks are placed on top to keep the saran wrap secure. I'll probably continue my misting schedule (once a day).

The growth on the HC is doing good, but mainly in the middle, (my light was kinda just in the middle), so I'm hoping being outside will help the edges grow more.

compared to last time

Here's a pic of the DHG, i removed it from the two side slopes and planted it in the middle, I plan to put some blyxa or some other bushy/grassy plant on those slopes when I flood the tank. It's doing ok, and hopefully will pick up with the sunlight.

And lastly, here's a shot of my filter, i'm running it on my 55gal crayfish tank just to get it cycled and do some leak tests. On the output side, I fitted a T with 1 end going into the tank and 1 end is fitted to a ball valve. During normal operations, the valve is closed, and I'll open it up to do water changes.

The flow is RIDICULOUS on this thing, way too much for a 20gal long, so i'm hoping when i build my reactor and stuff it'll slow down the flow, if not, i'll have to get another ball valve.

I'm getting the last pieces of equipment in this week (lily pipes, check valves, bubble counters) and will build my reactor/inline heater contraption this weekend hopefully and i'll have it flooded within 2 weeks.

Just need to get my fertz and my co2 tank filled!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/96%)
how long does it take the hc/hg to grow back in submersed form? i've had hc/hg growing emersed for 2 years now..and want to submerse them again.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

dang 2 years?!?!! thats crazy! I have barely had mine going for a month and I can barely keep myself from flooding the tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode