• 2 Post By bereninga
  • 2 Post By Opare
  • 2 Post By MaroMan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
30g Mr. Aqua

With the 105g on a good trajectory at the office, I've decided to bring a bit of green home with me.

Nitty Gritty.
30g Mr. Aqua Tank
ADA Aquasky 601 Light
Eheim Classic 250 Cannister
VIV Glass pipes
Up Aqua Mini Co2 system
6x ADA Amazonia Soil Medium
1x ADA Amazonia Soil Fine
ADA Unzan stone

The Hardscape is done.

I plan to go heaterless and choose shrimp and fish that can stand the temps. I will be planting primarily E. Hydropiper as the ground cover and will suppliment in the back with some AR and Pogostemon Sp.

I've already kinda regret the 30g Mr. Aqua. While I've always enjoyed the more square footprint tanks the scape I want for the room doesn't lend well to that footprint and the scape that would be good for it isn't the type I want for this room. So I decided to just scape it like I would if it didn't have the more square footprint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm not one for mail calls, preferring instead to support my LFS, but with this unavailable through regular channels I was excited to see this arrive today. Getting closer to getting this tank wet.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Very nice set up already! What kind of look did you prefer for the room? Those rocks look really awesome.

||
||

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The room already has a great deal of plants. So the aquarium needed to highlight, not compete with that. So having an Iwagami where the stones were more the centerpieces makes it compliment the planting of the rest of the room. Had I heavily planted and scaped the square footprint with low foreground plants and larger background plants it would have competed too much.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After purchasing some Elatine Hydropiper from a fellow forum member I planted the 30g about 1 month ago. I'm very happy with the progress on the planting. Here are two pictures. One taken on 4.18 and the second taken 10 days later on 4.28.

bereninga and bereninga like this.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
That's some incredible growth!
Bainreese and Bainreese like this.

||
||
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 04:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

It may be a bit late now but I think some stones (even if their sacrficial and get covered by the plants) in the front would make the scape more cohesive. Otherwise the scape is great, the depth you got in it is crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 02:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Love the Hydropiper! I am currently trying to plant my foreground with it, however be happy you have not added fish, they continuously pull it out on me! I can tell it begins growing, but then it stops once they yank it out. What jerks! Anyway the tank looks great, good luck with it! Buces would look great attached to those rocks! I have a handfull of stems of Pogostemon stellatus "Narrow Leaf" I could send you. PM me if interested!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroMan View Post
Love the Hydropiper! I am currently trying to plant my foreground with it, however be happy you have not added fish, they continuously pull it out on me! I can tell it begins growing, but then it stops once they yank it out. What jerks! Anyway the tank looks great, good luck with it! Buces would look great attached to those rocks! I have a handfull of stems of Pogostemon stellatus "Narrow Leaf" I could send you. PM me if interested!
What kind of fish do you have in with it? Neither my Ottos, Galaxy Rasbora, Bloodfins, or Apistos bother it at all in my 105g. I currently have Ottos in the 30g and will put some Galaxy Rasboras and Amano shrimp in the 30g soon.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainreese View Post
What kind of fish do you have in with it? Neither my Ottos, Galaxy Rasbora, Bloodfins, or Apistos bother it at all in my 105g. I currently have Ottos in the 30g and will put some Galaxy Rasboras and Amano shrimp in the 30g soon.
I have 3 yellow rainbows (Melanotaenia Herbertaxelrodi) and 4 Roseline Barbs, pretty sure they think the tiny leaves are food, they pull it right out of my sandy substrate. I read that the Roselines are partial vegetarians. I started feeding them more green food(solient green) in hopes they will leave my plants alone. They also stripped almost all but the newest growth of leaves off of 4 stems of 6" Ludwigia Pantanal, I was pissed! They were full! Varmints! However I really like them as I have just ordered 4 more... hoping that I can establish a decent carpet. Seems once the plant gets established they leave it alone, but that was found from other larger plants and not something this small. Live and ya learn! also just found out that they love to eat duckweed - the floating plant that has leaves the same size as E. Hydropiper. Don't get either of these fish if you like your carpet!

Slainte!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I'm pretty particular about what I put in. Barbs are not on the list. In addition, the tank is heaterless, so the fish/inverts that I put in there need to be able to survive cooler temps.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode