30 Gallon Cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
30 Gallon Cube

So, through some dealing I picked up this gem today.

Current plans are a German blue RAM tank, but not sure about the height. It's 20x20x20.

My current equipment for it is:

Penguin 200 Bio-Wheel
Aqueon heater

I don't have a light for it yet.

I'm considering Miracle Gro Organic typed by Silica sand for this tank.

My end goal for filtration is to switch to a sump. It has a dip in the back I just need to build a box and attach it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've decided I really like this tank and want to take my time with it.

I could really use some input, but this is what I am thinking right now.

I want to use Miracle Gro Organic topped with Black Diamond Blasting sand.

I have decided to build the overflow before I put this tank up and either build a 5 gallon sump or plumb it into a canister. Most likely I'll go the sump route for a few reasons, but primarily because I can use it as a a place for trimmings to grow out and sell or replant.

I'm leaning towards PaintBall Co2 on this setup, but not 100% sure. As it's 20x20x20 which is only 34 gallons before substrate I don't think anything more than paintball co2 should be needed. I already have some Paintball Co2 tanks floating around.

For lighting I'm considering 2x Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 20", but that may be too much so I figure I would start with a single. I can always add a second later.

I'm starting to look for a nice piece of driftwood, but might do stone. I'm not sure on the hardscape yet.

My Tanks

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
GREAT FIND!!!!

SO are you going to use the dip as the actual overflow itself? Then attach the box to the back for the drains. If so how do you plan to strain the water to keep fish or other small critters out? If you already have the equipment for using paintball tanks for your Co2 supply I would say GO FOR IT! If not you might want to think about going with a standard a 5# cylinder and regulator setup, because with a wet/dry or sump setup you will tend to loose Co2 due to outgassing and you MIGHT go threw the paintball tanks faster than normal depending on the size of the tanks and how well your reactor defuses the Co2 into the water! I have never tried a Paintball setup with a sump, so I am just taking a educated guess judging how fast I would go threw a 5# cylinder in a 55g!

Anyway I can't Wait to see how this build progresses as well as when you get it set up and planted!!! Plus German Rams are WAY up there on my Favorite Fish list, and they would LOVE IT in that tank too!!!

SUBSCRIBED!!!!

HAVE A GREAT TIME WITH THE TANK!!!
Drew

P.S. I LOVE CUBE TANKS TOO!!!

Thanks and Take Care,
Drew
------------------------------------------------------
Algae: the BANE of my Aquarium Life! It's ALL WAYS GROWING where I DON'T WANT IT TO, and NEVER where I NEED IT TOO!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was going to use the dip as an overflow and then put a screen on the inside that I could slide in and out to clean. But after a lot of thought I think I'm better off to build the box then plumb a standard intake in PVC down into the tank I think this will give me more filter options in the future and should work for both a sump and canister.

I have some, not all, of the equipment for Paintball Co2. Well, I may have all of it, but I would need to locate the regulator. I know I didn't sell the regulator, but I haven't seen it in a while. The fact that I can remember seeing it off the canister and separate means I may still have it, but where would be the question.

And yeah, I've never done a cube but it seems like there are so many possibilities. On top of that this is a Starfire glass cube.

My Tanks

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Miracle Gro Organic capped by black diamond blasting sand. It only has Dwarf Belem Hairgrass in it with a small amount of water.

I have my Dual T5HO fixture over it as I will be getting my Planted Plus 24/7 on Friday.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

My Tanks

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 07:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If ur not going to fill it right away i would lower the water just below the substrate level, then put saran wrap on top and dry start it, even 1 week lets the plants root a little
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, I haven't udpated this one in a bit. Well, considering all I do is dose ferts and watch it now that I filled it. lol

I put corksccrew val at the back. I need to fix the rocks and stuff since I had 4 adult bristlenose in for a bit.

Currently it has 1 adult male bristlenose and 4 male guppies. Essentially cycling the tank for me and making sure it's livable before I get my GBR.

It currently has a Penguin 200 on it, but I picked up a used Fluval 205 for it. I need new hoses then I'll switch over. Found that out today.........

I'm planning on some Buce and Crypts. My idea of a second Finnex is gone, I'm going to put a Bemswork EA over the back part w/ the timer on it.

I eventually will get Co2 on this tank, and thing I want to do lily pipes. Plus I want to do something with the back and figure out a top.

Bump: And the picture that got missed. This was taken today, when I found out the fluval had a hose leak on the inlet. I've been racking my brain why it was flowing so great and then lost it's flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160426_120335039.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	625082  

Name:	IMG_20160426_120311207.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	625090  

Name:	IMG_20160426_120320634.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	625098  

Name:	IMG_20160426_120327744.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	625106  

Name:	IMG_20160427_182407587.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	625114  

My Tanks

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, been a while since I updated. I'll update w/ pictures tomorrow but at the moment here is what has happened:

Guppies/Gourami I had in this tank are out and in another tank.

1 x Ram is in. Out of the two I had in my 75 the mated pair of angels killed one which left me down to just my male again.

6 x Otocinclus

Unknown number red cherry shrimp.

My Tanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode