My first planted tank (and journal!) v.Fluval Edge (UPDATE 2-20-10) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
My first planted tank (and journal!) v.Fluval Edge (UPDATE 2-20-10)

After seeing various pics of these tanks I decided to start up a planted tank for the first time.

Inspired by these threads:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ge-thread.html
http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4416909

Me and the wife decided to pick one up

I ended up using the Hydor heater that I fit in the filter so it was hidden and picked up this CO2 reg for my paintball tank and a diffuser to go with it.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/239899/product.web

http://aqmagic.com/store/product_inf...o-co2-diffuser

I just got them today and it works like a champ! You can dial it down really low....I'm just using a cheap air stone for now until my glass diffuser comes in

I also did the CFL light mod. It added a decent amount of light and was cheap and easy to make. The 10w bulb was $5 at wal-mart and the socket and extension cord I soldered together were less than $2 each at Home Depot. It fits pretty snug under the housing but it still fits. Zip ties are ghetto but they work and the bulb doesn't get hot enough to melt them :dunno:

The lighting still doesn't quite reach the edges of the tank enough to make me happy so I'm probably going to get these to sit on top: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50126035

Heres how my tank looks at the moment. I just stuck with plants I found locally for now until I know my lighting and CO2 setup will work ok then I wanna try getting some HC and maybe come Shrimp?

I really wanted some darker rocks but I couldn't find any at ANY local pet store I settled on whats in the pics but I had to smash the [censored][censored][censored][censored] out of them with a hammer to get them into those shapes.

All in all this has been a fun project!

Last edited by TeaQue; 02-20-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

UPDATE: 2-12-10

Well I've changed a few things up.....following a tip from another member on here I decided to grab some plastic screen and sew some Java Moss to it. I've also rescaped my tank (again) and removed some rocks and added a piece of driftwood I found in a lake.

So far so good!

One more thing, my glass diffuser has STILL not shown up! Its been almost 3wks and I'm starting to get irritated....
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
that looks great! one suggestion is i would probably turn the driftwood around so the bigger part is in the back and it gets smaller toward the front. i ordered a nano diffuser from aquatic magic and it took 2 MONTHS to arrive.. after several emails back and forth. they also have alot of good reviews so hopefully yours will show up soon

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaH View Post
that looks great! one suggestion is i would probably turn the driftwood around so the bigger part is in the back and it gets smaller toward the front. i ordered a nano diffuser from aquatic magic and it took 2 MONTHS to arrive.. after several emails back and forth. they also have alot of good reviews so hopefully yours will show up soon
Well that sucks to hear! I wish I could source one locally...as for the drift wood, I thought about doing that but the other end doesn't look nearly as cool.

I also just found out that the grass I have in the back by the wood is Kyoto grass which isn't for aquariums so I gotta pull that

I may move the wood around again and see if I can get it set up differently to my liking.

Fluval Edge Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well my diffuser just came in a little while ago so I did some rearranging again :coold:

Also got rid of the Kyoto grass.

Fluval Edge Journal
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 03:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow it looks stunning!! I love Fluval tanks. So unique!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
great work!

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update 2-20-10

Been a busy week. Added some fish and a bunch of new plants. Ditched the java moss. Finally bought a API master test kit and found out my Nitrite levels were really high and I lost 2 neons and 3 ghost shrimp in the process. After 5-6 water changes the levels came down and they've been looking good for the last few days. I'm now dosing Flourish Iron, Florish Potassium, Flourish Comprehensive, using plant tabs, and running the CO2 at 1 bubble every 8-10 seconds.

Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Ammonia 0
PH 7.4

I rescaped bit today after planting and this is probably going to be my final setup.

Fluval Edge Journal
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank is looking really good!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! Unfortunately I don't know how long these plants are going to live. I think the trip in this cold weather have done them in. The only thing looking good right now is the flame moss. I dosed them with Flourish Iron/Potassium/Comprehensive today and turned the CO2 up a hair so I guess we'll see

Fluval Edge Journal
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
so what route did you end up going with the lighting? I am very interested in purchasing one of these tanks as long as the lighting issue is dealt with.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well until a couple of days ago I was using the LED bulbs + CFL but I changed to this setup using a home depot hampton bay desklamp:

To be honest, its a little brighter but the difference isn't as big as I thought it'd be. I now have all my previous lighting for sale.

Fluval Edge Journal
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)
Check your Sale page! I'll buy 'em off of you!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by allknighter View Post
Check your Sale page! I'll buy 'em off of you!
Just sent you a PM!

Fluval Edge Journal
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaQue View Post
Update 2-20-10

Been a busy week. Added some fish and a bunch of new plants. Ditched the java moss. Finally bought a API master test kit and found out my Nitrite levels were really high and I lost 2 neons and 3 ghost shrimp in the process. After 5-6 water changes the levels came down and they've been looking good for the last few days. I'm now dosing Flourish Iron, Florish Potassium, Flourish Comprehensive, using plant tabs, and running the CO2 at 1 bubble every 8-10 seconds.

Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Ammonia 0
PH 7.4

I rescaped bit today after planting and this is probably going to be my final setup.

l really like the first picture and how you managed to make the center of the drop the main focal point really draws my eyes there. looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode