Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (Saturday Maintenance 11-21-2020) - Page 239 - The Planted Tank Forum
 9208Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #3571 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Another quick question on your AR Mini. Do you know about how big the mature leaves are? Reason is I purchased AR Mini in tissue culture form and the mature leaves are 2.5"+ across. Doesn't sound that mini.
Are you saying 2.5" wide? Not long, right? If so, not even in the ballpark.

Mine are less than an inch wide. Does not sound like mini to me.

Then again, plants can take different forms in different tanks, but that would be a stretch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Are you saying 2.5" wide? Not long, right? If so, not even in the ballpark.

Mine are less than an inch wide. Does not sound like mini to me.

Then again, plants can take different forms in different tanks, but that would be a stretch.
Base to tip, so long.

https://www.aquariumplantsfactory.co...-mini-in-vitro
Greggz likes this.

post #3573 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 03:25 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
Landen is holding up good for me so far. Have one tank about 2 years and another about one. Soil in general is dustier than sand but you kinda get used to it.

I do about like Gregg and keep the surface vacuumed good, might go down 1/2 inch but its mainly about getting any debris thats laying around.
Greggz, Immortal1 and Quagulator like this.

post #3574 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Well in that case not so odd.

Mine don't get quite that long, but you just might be better growing it than me.

I've said before AR and me generally don't see eye to eye. But it seems for the time being we have a truce. But I would say mine are doing OK, still not the greatest. Yours probably doing better.
Econde and varanidguy like this.

---
---
post #3575 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 06:53 PM
Algae Grower

I'm glad to see you coming over to the land of 0KH, @Greggz!

In my 3 tanks, all with Landen soil, I use the same prepped water. Currently that means 15/7/12ppm Ca/Mg/K (I'm still dosing NO3/PO4 21/8ppm directly after 50% WC until my current bottles go dry). I never add KH to any tank, but the 20G has Seiryu stone in it which leeches carbonates into the water. That's the only tank where I consistently battle algae (primarily rhizoclonium). 0KH makes things easier, in my experience.

@Quagulator: I do have a healthy pond snail population in my 0KH 10G tank, courtesy of @burr740;. The guppy population in there keeps them well fed. I moved a few over to my 20G to see if their shells look any different with a bit of KH and a bit more Ca from the stone.
Greggz, burr740 and Quagulator like this.

post #3576 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
... Yours probably doing better.
I doubt that.
Greggz likes this.

post #3577 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivvel View Post
I'm glad to see you coming over to the land of 0KH, @Greggz!

In my 3 tanks, all with Landen soil, I use the same prepped water. Currently that means 15/7/12ppm Ca/Mg/K (I'm still dosing NO3/PO4 21/8ppm directly after 50% WC until my current bottles go dry). I never add KH to any tank, but the 20G has Seiryu stone in it which leeches carbonates into the water. That's the only tank where I consistently battle algae (primarily rhizoclonium). 0KH makes things easier, in my experience.

@Quagulator: I do have a healthy pond snail population in my 0KH 10G tank, courtesy of @burr740;. The guppy population in there keeps them well fed. I moved a few over to my 20G to see if their shells look any different with a bit of KH and a bit more Ca from the stone.
Interesting. I forgot I had seen in your journal that you are at zero KH. For me, too early to tell much, but seems like things kept getting a little better every time I started lowering it, and that's why I decided to cut out CO3 completely.

When you say you are dosing NO3/PO4 21/8, are you talking about dosing the incoming new water to that that level, or basing that on total tank volume. At full tank volume that would be very rich.

And also interesting on the snails. I do not see a single one ever.

One more thing. Time for some updated pics in your journal!

---
---
post #3578 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivvel View Post
...I moved a few over to my 20G to see if their shells look any different with a bit of KH and a bit more Ca from the stone.
Good luck. My 12g has 18 lbs of Seiryu and it pushes my KH to 16 at it's peak and this is what my snails look like over time. I'm thinking it's the co2, unless someone else has any ideas.

Greggz likes this.

post #3579 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Good luck. My 12g has 18 lbs of Seiryu and it pushes my KH to 16 at it's peak and this is what my snails look like over time. I'm thinking it's the co2, unless someone else has any ideas.

Hey maybe it's because our tanks are TOO clean. Nothing to clean up and munch on!

But seriously, I do wonder. I would expect to see some get in by accident at some point.

---
---
post #3580 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hey maybe it's because our tanks are TOO clean. Nothing to clean up and munch on!

But seriously, I do wonder. I would expect to see some get in by accident at some point.
Maybe your on to something there, LOL. I would expect you to have some bladder/pond snails even for a short time span.
Greggz and Quagulator like this.

post #3581 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Every single time I get a new plant not from Tissue Culture I get a wave of pest snails that slowly wither away (unless I'm feeing fish heavily of course).

I think they can't do the low / no KH + acidic conditions, we just don't supplement them enough minerals to maintain their shells and they begin to break them down to obtain their Ca / other minerals - That's what Google was telling me searching through giant argument threads across multiple forum boards LOL.... Off to grab another cup of coffee
Greggz and Asteroid like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

post #3582 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Off to grab another cup of coffee
Uh oh......another cup of coffee?

I'd better stay on standby!
Quagulator likes this.

---
---
post #3583 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
... Off to grab another cup of coffee
Quote:
Uh oh......another cup of coffee?

Had to switch to decaf. Was doing the "Off to get another cup of coffee" way to much.
Greggz and Quagulator like this.

post #3584 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:

What size filter housing are you using on your reactor?
Greggz likes this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

post #3585 of 3715 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
What size filter housing are you using on your reactor?
I use a 20" filter housing (Pentek 150166). Complete dissolution no visible bubbles ever.

It has a valve on top to stop the flow. Important when I clean the filter it's attached to. If it's full, not enough siphon to move the water out. So I close the valve and empty it when I clean that filter.

And why not, a couple of pics from yesterday.

---
---

Last edited by Greggz; 11-29-2020 at 08:58 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode