Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (Part Deux Aqua Soil 3-15) - Page 226 - The Planted Tank Forum
 8212Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #3376 of 3391 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Someone looks happy. Any differences for the furcata pre/post Landen?
The Furcata is a recent addition.

I kept it years ago, and it did well in soil too. But I will say I got this from Joe, and it has not skipped a beat. Usually there is some adjustment, but it just starting growing and being happy from the moment it arrived.

All in all, tank is just about back to the pre soil change condition. Remember some plants got hit pretty hard and took time to recover.

One thing I have noticed is the "finicky" plants are less finicky and super steady. I'll be doing some more thorough updating before long.
Matt69, Grobbins48 and Asteroid like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3377 of 3391 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

A new addition, Myriophyllum Tuberculatum. Only been in the tank a week or so, but I am really beginning to like it.

And why not, a couple of Bow pics.......

In other news, USPS shipping has been terrible lately. Have a plan for the tank (think all out fruit stand!), but some new species have been lost when they take two weeks to arrive.
bwagner, Hendy8888, zivvel and 8 others like this.

---
---
post #3378 of 3391 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
A new addition, Myriophyllum Tuberculatum. Only been in the tank a week or so, but I am really beginning to like it.
You won't be saying that one month from now - standing next to your tank with a dull set of scissors

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #3379 of 3391 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
You won't be saying that one month from now - standing next to your tank with a dull set of scissors
Ha, you are talking to a guy who has kept the same batch of Pantanal for years. I ain't scared!

Well, then again....we'll see how long my stamina holds up. Got rid of Myrio Red Stem at one time because it wanted to take over the tank!

---
---
post #3380 of 3391 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Have a plan for the tank (think all out fruit stand!)
Our two tanks are now beginning to diverge!! Can't wait until the farmers market is open!
Greggz, Immortal1 and Ken Keating1 like this.

|

post #3381 of 3391 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 11:26 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:

And why not, a couple of Bow pics.......

In other news, USPS shipping has been terrible lately. Have a plan for the tank (think all out fruit stand!), but some new species have been lost when they take two weeks to arrive.
Great group of pics Gregg - as always. That Myriophyllum Tuberculatum is a beautiful plant - with any luck it's a little slower growing than Myrio Red Stem
And of course, some of us always appreciate more bow pics :-)

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3382 of 3391 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 01:49 PM
Algae Grower

Started reading this whole thread with a fresh set of eyes from page 1. Currently on page 24 and I'm loving this. Some of the things you were going through early on are things I am currently dealing with. Such as the high nitrates (~80 ppm) at the end of the week with a heavily stocked planted tank on full E.I. dosing. Excited to see how your tank evolves through the years. This reads like a damn good book to me
Greggz, zivvel and aqua-botanicae like this.

post #3383 of 3391 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 07:07 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
@Greggz wondering what your thoughts are on the Landen soil at this point? Figured it might have been long enough to notice differences. Would you estimate most plants are growing noticeably better? Anything doing worse? Rainbows sure don't seem to mind the 0 dKH.

Aslo, I feel ya on the USPS shipping times lately. My mail carrier blames Amazon for making them stretch everything out 7 days a week now.
Greggz likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3384 of 3391 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
@Greggz wondering what your thoughts are on the Landen soil at this point? Figured it might have been long enough to notice differences. Would you estimate most plants are growing noticeably better? Anything doing worse? Rainbows sure don't seem to mind the 0 dKH.

Aslo, I feel ya on the USPS shipping times lately. My mail carrier blames Amazon for making them stretch everything out 7 days a week now.
I don't have any real conclusions.......yet.

The transition was basically like starting over again. Lots of plants stunted/melted in the initial phase. But slowly most everything has recovered now, but still needs to fill in.

And I wanted to change things up and add some new plants, but like you said the dang USPS has turned some into mush before they got here. So it's been very slow getting things to where I want to be.

I've also been slowly changing up fert dosing to see where I need to be with the soil. I went way, way down to see if the soil was enough.......and it wasn't. Well, at least for some plants like Pantanal that like lots of everything.

I will say this. I don't think any substrate is magic. With loads of stems, you still need to pay attention to light levels, CO2 injection, fert dosing, and of course maintenance. And I am still in the process of dialing all that in right now.

I'll get some pics this weekend and an update on everything.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurgent RL3 View Post
Started reading this whole thread with a fresh set of eyes from page 1. Currently on page 24 and I'm loving this. Some of the things you were going through early on are things I am currently dealing with. Such as the high nitrates (~80 ppm) at the end of the week with a heavily stocked planted tank on full E.I. dosing. Excited to see how your tank evolves through the years. This reads like a damn good book to me
Yeah I saw a bunch of "likes" of the early part of the journal, and that usually means someone starting at the beginning.

Glad you are enjoying the years long stream of thought. You need a lot of stamina to get through the whole thing.

And remember......whatever I said I believed to be true at the time I said it!!

---
---
post #3385 of 3391 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well summer sure does slow the board down.

Thought I better do my part and do a quick update.

I've been very busy between work and enjoying the summer here in Michigan. Haven't had the focus like in the winter months when there is not a lot to enjoy outdoors.

Have been trying to add some plants, but long USPS ship times has made that difficult. Have had some come in pretty much mush, and some that were barely alive and I am slowly nursing back to health.

Right now things are pretty unfocused. That is, more like a farm tank. Have many groups that need to fill in, and in general a jumbled mess of indecision.

As to plants, most everything that stalled/stunted during the transition recovered. But as I have mentioned, it was a bit of a battle. Have been dialing in new fert dosing, and think I am getting close. I lowered things way down to see if the soil was enough, but that was a mistake. The usual suspects pouted badly so now have raised things considerably again. Don't know why I try it, as it always seems to turn out the same. In my tank, rich dosing always works better....even with soil.

And while this is counter intuitive to many, less dosing meant more algae. Particularly the lower portions of plants. It's one of the first things I notice when things are too lean. Weak old growth is an easy target. Nothing to do now but let things grow and slowly remove any old ratty growth.

So here's where we are today. Not where I want to be, but things have settled down and now just have to have patience and let things fill in.

Hope everyone is doing well, staying safe and healthy, and enjoying the summer.

Bump for one more. For the last half hour before lights off only heavily colored light. One of my favorite times of the day and a different perspective. Makes the Rainbows show crazy colors as well.

r

---
---

Last edited by Greggz; 07-02-2020 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Add pic
post #3386 of 3391 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Algae Grower

Beautiful! Your Goyder River Rainbows are fire
Greggz likes this.

post #3387 of 3391 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Awesome colors, in both fish and plants. Makes for a stunning display tank!
Blue Ridge Reef and Greggz like this.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

7g cube, 12g long
post #3388 of 3391 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 02:01 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I nearly bought a much larger house than I now live in -in part because one of my pet projects before 2020 ends was to set up one of my 125's almost exactly like this one. I go back and forth between smaller rainbow species or big showy flowers like Bosemani, but the idea of lots of fish and bright stems is so appealing since I've been catering everything to shrimp the last ten years. I have nearly everything except livestock & 50% of the plants to start it properly. Owning a pet supply store that used to specialize in reefs I have new in box and used T5 lighting + the option of MQI, I could go sump or canisters, have at least one spare CO2 regulator, I own 2 mature 125 tanks and made a stand out of cherry 15 years ago that's still in good shape in storage. There are exactly two walls in this house that would fit a 6' tank and both would be ridiculous placements, not to mention get me divorced. But there's not an aquarium on this forum that makes me feel like I could have such a tank and enjoy every hour of maintaining it. I see perfectly manicured Iwagumis and so forth, but I know deep down they're pulling hair algae off of that MC carpet daily if they keep them looking like that under those lights. That's not for me. I can't sex guppies without reading glasses these days. Nor do I drink scotch but I'd love to in front of this tank.
Greggz, zivvel, rzn7z7 and 4 others like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3389 of 3391 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I nearly bought a much larger house than I now live in -in part because one of my pet projects before 2020 ends was to set up one of my 125's almost exactly like this one. I go back and forth between smaller rainbow species or big showy flowers like Bosemani, but the idea of lots of fish and bright stems is so appealing since I've been catering everything to shrimp the last ten years. I have nearly everything except livestock & 50% of the plants to start it properly. Owning a pet supply store that used to specialize in reefs I have new in box and used T5 lighting + the option of MQI, I could go sump or canisters, have at least one spare CO2 regulator, I own 2 mature 125 tanks and made a stand out of cherry 15 years ago that's still in good shape in storage. There are exactly two walls in this house that would fit a 6' tank and both would be ridiculous placements, not to mention get me divorced. But there's not an aquarium on this forum that makes me feel like I could have such a tank and enjoy every hour of maintaining it. I see perfectly manicured Iwagumis and so forth, but I know deep down they're pulling hair algae off of that MC carpet daily if they keep them looking like that under those lights. That's not for me. I can't sex guppies without reading glasses these days. Nor do I drink scotch but I'd love to in front of this tank.
I've said this many times.

If you have a high light high tech tank, you have to enjoy the process. And it certainly is not for everyone.

I spend a couple of hours every Saturday or Sunday morning trimming and getting things in shape. To me, it's cheap therapy. I find it meditative and soothing, and I like enjoying the results.

If I considered it a chore, it would get old quick and I would probably not be in the hobby. But really, even a low tech tank takes some maintenance as well, so it's more a matter of degree.

---
---
post #3390 of 3391 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I've said this many times.

If you have a high light high tech tank, you have to enjoy the process. And it certainly is not for everyone.

I spend a couple of hours every Saturday or Sunday morning trimming and getting things in shape. To me, it's cheap therapy. I find it meditative and soothing, and I like enjoying the results.

If I considered it a chore, it would get old quick and I would probably not be in the hobby. But really, even a low tech tank takes some maintenance as well, so it's more a matter of degree.
That is so true, when you enjoy something your more proactive, when you don't your reactive and you do something because there's an issue. Being proactive to me is the number one way to prevent algae. Once the problem surfaces it's a different story. You could have two identical tanks and the only difference is the attention you pay to it and one might be pristine and the other an algae-infested nightmare.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode