Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (Part Deux Aqua Soil 3-15) - Page 223 - The Planted Tank Forum
 8087Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #3331 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 12:32 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great tank!
Greggz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Since your making so many chances, why not change the lights too while your at it. I see an 24/7 LED 18 hrs on schedule. Think of how much longer you'll get to see those beautiful rainbows. I don't want to bale you out of jail one day when T5HOs have been outlawed and your buying them out of someone's trunk.
LOL......I've told you.......in my opinion I am just ahead of the curve. Like tube amps and vinyl.....everything old is new again.

My plan is to corner the market on bulbs, then when all the cool kids want to go retro they will have to come to me!!

And FYI, I do have some LEDs' that come on in the evening just enough to see the Bows. Cheap strips with a variable power supply, but it works.
ipkiss, burr740, Immortal1 and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
post #3333 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 01:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
LOL......I've told you.......in my opinion I am just ahead of the curve. Like tube amps and vinyl.....everything old is new again.

My plan is to corner the market on bulbs, then when all the cool kids want to go retro they will have to come to me!!

And FYI, I do have some LEDs' that come on in the evening just enough to see the Bows. Cheap strips with a variable power supply, but it works.
Well your one step ahead of me. I Should have figured you were seeing those bows more then the standard light cycle. And your right about the retro stuff, my kids came home one day and took all my good vinyl
Greggz likes this.

post #3334 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 03:42 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
Well the training wheels are finally off! Haha. Gonna be great watching things fill in and what you do with it now. Both the Aflame or Barclaya would make a good focal plant with a green behind it. Could be a challenge getting either one big and thick enough to hold proportion though, will take some time.

Whats the red on the right next to rugosa, an Ammannia sp?

post #3335 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 04:18 AM
Algae Grower

Looking forward to this new chapter! For all its silly rules I think the Dutch style really brings out the natural beauty of plants. I think as one of the masters of plant husbandry on this board you'll make it look great!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Greggz likes this.
post #3336 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Well the training wheels are finally off! Haha. Gonna be great watching things fill in and what you do with it now. Both the Aflame or Barclaya would make a good focal plant with a green behind it. Could be a challenge getting either one big and thick enough to hold proportion though, will take some time.

Whats the red on the right next to rugosa, an Ammannia sp?
Funny you brought up the Barclaya. After the swap it completely melted and every single leave fell off. I was left with just a couple of bare bulbs. But low and behold about a week ago I saw a couple of tiny leaves popping out. They are about 4+" now and it seems to be on it's way to recovery.

And yes, that is Ammannia Crassicaulis Red Stem from Tom Barr. I haven't had much luck with Ammannia in the past, and thought why not give it a try now. It seems to have settled in, and looks pretty good. But really too soon to see if it is going to be a keeper or not. If it goes well, I can send you some.

In general, it's been 7 weeks and things finally feel like they are getting in balance. Algae has subsided, and new growth looks good. But still, will take time for everything to fully recover and fill in.

I'm not sure if it was that initial blast of ammonia, or just a new immature substrate, but the change hit some plants hard. I lost a couple, like Blyja J. which melted in just a few days. Others got pretty weak which invited algae. And then again, some weren't bothered at all.

Will be interesting to see where things go from here.
Immortal1 and Quagulator like this.

---
---
post #3337 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Let's be honest here, he's resealed his old tank and has nothing but that log in there

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #3338 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 01:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Let's be honest here, he's resealed his old tank and has nothing but that log in there
Ha! Oh man this one made me laugh!!!
Greggz, Quagulator and Asteroid like this.

|

post #3339 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 01:50 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Did he mention he has a small Kessil light focused on just the log?

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3340 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 01:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Did he mention he has a small Kessil light focused on just the log?
LOL, it must be a combo UV light because that log always looked brand new.

post #3341 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 02:04 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Funny you brought up the Barclaya. After the swap it completely melted and every single leave fell off. I was left with just a couple of bare bulbs. But low and behold about a week ago I saw a couple of tiny leaves popping out. They are about 4+" now and it seems to be on it's way to recovery.

And yes, that is Ammannia Crassicaulis Red Stem from Tom Barr. I haven't had much luck with Ammannia in the past, and thought why not give it a try now. It seems to have settled in, and looks pretty good. But really too soon to see if it is going to be a keeper or not. If it goes well, I can send you some.

In general, it's been 7 weeks and things finally feel like they are getting in balance. Algae has subsided, and new growth looks good. But still, will take time for everything to fully recover and fill in.

I'm not sure if it was that initial blast of ammonia, or just a new immature substrate, but the change hit some plants hard. I lost a couple, like Blyja J. which melted in just a few days. Others got pretty weak which invited algae. And then again, some weren't bothered at all.

Will be interesting to see where things go from here.
Was wondering about the Barclaya. Joe mentioned it and when I looked back at your last FTS I was a bit confused (well, more confused than normal). I recall you saying the Barclaya was a bit unhappy when you first got it - makes me think it is one of those plants that hate change. The Ammannia Crassicaulis Red Stem should be a nice addition to your sea of colors
Really is a bit shocking at first to see your tank without it's signature feature. As Joe said, you will just have to create a new signature feature.
Speaking of plants hating change - I sent Discusluv a bunch of plants on Monday (she should have them tomorrow). Pretty much all of the plants have tolerated my 20g low tech tank for more than a few weeks. So, does that mean they will transition better to her low tech tank? Or is her water different enough that everything will melt? Why do some plants just melt? Your Blyja J. got the same RO water as before but hated the new substrate - which should be a "better" substrate. I think you may be correct on the blast of ammonia - during the FX4 transition my ammonia crept up to 1ppm and I could tell some of the plants were less than thrilled. Was it the ammonia specifically? Only a guess.

Look forward to the next month for your tank.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3342 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I love all the interest on the fate of the log.

It is currently residing on a shelf in the basement.

But who knows, it might only be temporary, as it could be called back into active duty at any time.

I will say without it and the plants mowed down, the Rainbows are more front and center and active. I have some pretty cool Rainbows growing out, and they are more visible and a focus of the tank right now. Which is a good thing.

Remember, this has always been a fish tank.......with plants. And I can't see that changing.

Bump:
Quote:
Speaking of plants hating change - I sent Discusluv a bunch of plants on Monday (she should have them tomorrow). Pretty much all of the plants have tolerated my 20g low tech tank for more than a few weeks. So, does that mean they will transition better to her low tech tank? Or is her water different enough that everything will melt? Why do some plants just melt? Your Blyja J. got the same RO water as before but hated the new substrate - which should be a "better" substrate. I think you may be correct on the blast of ammonia - during the FX4 transition my ammonia crept up to 1ppm and I could tell some of the plants were less than thrilled. Was it the ammonia specifically? Only a guess.
Yeah, you know there are probably some lessons here. I've talked about stability before, and I am a believer that most plants do not like sudden change. They chug along for a long time, figuring out how to use what is provided. Make a drastic change, and it takes them a while to figure it out.

This is the second time the Barclaya completely melted. It did the same thing when I got it from you. A good example of hanging in there and letting nature take it's course. Plants do have a strong will to survive, and they do change and adapt. Sometimes you have just have to have patience, and not give up too soon.
burr740, LRJ, Immortal1 and 2 others like this.

---
---
post #3343 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 05:43 PM
Captain

Well, this should be an interesting addition to our "sudden change", "will to survive" discussion. Just found out from @Discusluv that her KH & GH are almost exactly the same as mine (in all reality, it is the same). Guessing she does not have anything exotic like Ladan or ADA. So, with that said it "should" be no different than me pulling a few stems from my 75g, mailing them to myself, then putting them into my 40g. They should adapt very easily...
should
Greggz and Discusluv like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3344 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Well, this should be an interesting addition to our "sudden change", "will to survive" discussion. Just found out from @Discusluv that her KH & GH are almost exactly the same as mine (in all reality, it is the same). Guessing she does not have anything exotic like Ladan or ADA. So, with that said it "should" be no different than me pulling a few stems from my 75g, mailing them to myself, then putting them into my 40g. They should adapt very easily...
should
And the shrimp should acclimate as easily for you!
Greggz and Grobbins48 like this.

Amy
post #3345 of 3370 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Sometimes things just catch your eye.

A month ago I wasn't sure if this Rotala Macranda Variegated was going to make it through the substrate swap. Like quite a few other plants, it's suddenly turning it on. Might be my favorite plant....................

Hendy8888, zivvel, burr740 and 2 others like this.

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode