Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (New PAR reading...6-15-2019) - Page 29 - The Planted Tank Forum
 5444Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #421 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Was a little upset earlier in the week, after I came home from a trip and my CO2 had ran out. As I showed in some earlier pics, algae ran wild taking advantage of the opportunity.

So just a quick update tonight. Hit the driftwood and some plants with H202 for several days in a row. This morning did a major trim of many plants, and tonight, I've got to say, feeling much, much better. I think the crisis is over, and the algae is on the run, pretty much all gone, and plants seem like they have bounced back very well.

On another note, ordered some Amano shrimp to be delivered this week. Right I don't have any algae eaters in the tank. It very well could be just an expensive meal for my Rainbows, but I thought it was worth a try. We'll see.

And you might notice I now have bubbles! They come on after the CO2 period, and turn off in the morning. Hoping to create even more oxygen for the Bows overnight.

kyle3, kyle3, Dempsey and 17 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:20 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Good to hear things are under control again. I have 3 larger amano in my tank, they seem to be doing fine

post #423 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 03:12 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
Nice work recovering from the algae. Im not surprised things got right again fast.

Amanos are workhorses, like nothing Ive ever seen. Be a great addition if you can keep them.

post #424 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Good to hear things are under control again. I have 3 larger amano in my tank, they seem to be doing fine
Linn that's good to hear......but how many did you start with??

------------------
post #425 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Nice work recovering from the algae. Im not surprised things got right again fast.

Amanos are workhorses, like nothing Ive ever seen. Be a great addition if you can keep them.
Burr actually I was surprised. It receded much more quickly than I anticipated.

Two notes for you. The Macranda Var. continues to do very well, turning into a nice big bunch. But the Pantanal is just stuck. It's alive, opening and closing with the lights, but just won't get going. If you look closely you will see I used a weight to kind of tie them up high on the driftwood. Trying to get them close to the surface and give them a big blast of high par light to see I can jump start them.

And I decided to get the Amanos after I watched Dempsey's last video. He had a couple that looked like they were on a mission. Very active. And my wife has been begging me to get some shrimp for years.

------------------
post #426 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Greg, I have 4 large Amanos and 5 SAEs in my 125, and I rarely see any algae at all any more. To get to 4 Amanos unfortunately I had to start with 20 - the 4 remaining are the ones who grew too big for the Congo Tetras to eat and stayed hidden while doing so.
post #427 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
Greg, I have 4 large Amanos and 5 SAEs in my 125, and I rarely see any algae at all any more. To get to 4 Amanos unfortunately I had to start with 20 - the 4 remaining are the ones who grew too big for the Congo Tetras to eat and stayed hidden while doing so.
Jaye that is very interesting. It's about what I am hoping for. I am starting with 30, and hope some manage to survive.

How do you like the SAE's? I've never kept them, but have considered it many times.

------------------
post #428 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Looking great man! I have 2 SAE's in my 75 and about 10 Amano's. SAE's are great but they do eat some plants. Thin plants. The plants you have are safe though.
Greggz, Greggz, mbkemp and 3 others like this.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #429 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:50 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Linn that's good to hear......but how many did you start with??
Actually, started with 2 big ones - they are still in there. Then I bought 4 smaller ones - tough part about them is finding them. Every once in a while I see maybe 2 of them. Is it the same 2 as last time, don't know. I did get a pic of 3 of them clustered together this morning :-)

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Jaye that is very interesting. It's about what I am hoping for. I am starting with 30, and hope some manage to survive.

How do you like the SAE's? I've never kept them, but have considered it many times.
I have 2 SAE's in my 75g. When they were small, they chewed on anything that might have a spec of algae. Now they are much bigger and have gotten a bit lazy - still cool fish though.
Greggz, Greggz, mbkemp and 1 others like this.

post #430 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 03:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Your tank is looking good after the algae attack! Way to go on your effort to rid the tank of algae.

I love Amano shrimp! My 20 long has 3 in with corys, Apistos, & pencilfish. I'm honestly not sure how many are in the 55, somewhere between 12 & 18(?)! My only tank without them is the 10 gallon killifish tank. I keep meaning to get some for it but haven't with the whole recovering from back surgery thing.

I would suggest making sure the bows have been recently fed a nice big meal & then releasing the shrimp into an area with lots a hiding spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greggz and Greggz like this.

RAOK Club #24
post #431 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I think the amano shrimp should be fine. They're crafty guys. I used to have some with a breeding pair of kribs in a 15 gallon tank with no issues for a while. Eventually the male killed one, but that was the same night he would have beat his mate to death had I not separated them...

Try a few for now, see how they survive. Make sure they're not too small (as some places sell them). If they make it then you'll need to get quite a few (at least several dozen) to actually make a dent on algae.
Greggz, Greggz, johnson18 and 1 others like this.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #432 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I must look at your tank 2-3 times a day Lol! I had a good group of Amanos in every planted tank I've had. They did fine with large Angels, Rainbows, Rams, and Kribs. I also maintained a large colony of RCS. granted I got them going as culls from my PFR tank... but if you lifted a piece of driftwood it would look like an army of fire ants. As long as you add them at night and plan to lose a couple you will be pleased.. they are feisty. I'm going to add them along with RCS to my new 75 a little while before I stock it. They gave a huge margin of error in terms of algae issues.
I didn't see it mentioned but what regulator are you using? Are you using a reactor?
Nevermind... you did a great job explaining all of it on page 2 (if anyone else is wondering). I REALLY don't like messing with canister filters... I don't like cleaning them as they always give me issues starting back up. I was thinking of maybe splitting the output to a Hagen Mini on either end of the tank? Pretty simple and not alot to screw up? I assume you have been very happy with your GLA regulator?
post #433 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
I must look at your tank 2-3 times a day Lol! I had a good group of Amanos in every planted tank I've had. They did fine with large Angels, Rainbows, Rams, and Kribs. I also maintained a large colony of RCS. granted I got them going as culls from my PFR tank... but if you lifted a piece of driftwood it would look like an army of fire ants. As long as you add them at night and plan to lose a couple you will be pleased.. they are feisty. I'm going to add them along with RCS to my new 75 a little while before I stock it. They gave a huge margin of error in terms of algae issues.
I didn't see it mentioned but what regulator are you using? Are you using a reactor?
Nevermind... you did a great job explaining all of it on page 2 (if anyone else is wondering). I REALLY don't like messing with canister filters... I don't like cleaning them as they always give me issues starting back up. I was thinking of maybe splitting the output to a Hagen Mini on either end of the tank? Pretty simple and not alot to screw up? I assume you have been very happy with your GLA regulator?
This is why I went with Fluval FX4 that has NO issues starting back up. It auto prime's so do not have to worry about it.

post #434 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
First of all, your first sentence made my day, and thanks for the nice compliment.

Good to hear you had Amano's with Rainbows and Rams, as I have both. I'm hoping with the all the places to hide, at least a decent potion of the 30 will make it. The ones I'm getting are supposed to be about 1", so that should help.

Now on to the equipment. I now use a Cerges reactor that I built. It's somewhere here in this thread. Should have done it first thing. It's easy to build, and works perfectly. I split the outflow so that the CO2 enriched water is being directed to each end of the tank. Canister filters? I've never had a problem starting mine back up, and I have three to take care of. But to each to his own, and whatever works out best for you is what's important.

As to the GLA regulator, I have been very happy with mine. My feeling is that with all the costs associated with running a high tech planted tank, the few dollars you might save on something as important as a good regulator is not much in the scheme of things. Years later you won't miss the few extra dollars you spent, but if you have trouble with a cheap one, you will be wondering why you didn't just get a better one to start with. Again, just my opinion.

And looking forward to seeing what you do with the new 75G.

------------------
post #435 of 2550 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 03:29 AM
Planted Member

Greg, I really like the SAEs. They're pretty personable little guys, and they tend to stick together - the five of them grazing away on invisible algae on a rock look like synchronized swimmers. They certainly do a job on the algae. Before I got them, I had horrendous problems with BBA. After a couple of weeks of spot dosing Metricide, I added the SAEs, then the Amanos a couple of weeks after that, and the only algae I have had since is some spot algae on the back glass (inevitable at this time of year, as the tank gets direct sun between 6:00 and 8:00 AM), and some residual goop on the return nozzles that the SAEs are slowly pecking away at.
Greggz and Greggz like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode