Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (New PAR reading...6-15-2019) - Page 167 - The Planted Tank Forum
 5406Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2491 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
It looks to be about 90 PAR at 15 inches.
If it's really 90 PAR, I would recommend CO2. That is a LOT of light. When you step on the gas, you need to pay close attention to everything else.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yeah, I do need it- I have a lot of green hair algae at the moment- Ive cut it back to 6 hours in the last week. I thought if I filled it with some high light plants it would make a difference with the hair algae as well.

I looked at the website for PAR. Did I read this right?

https://current-usa.com/satellite-fr...-plus-pro-led/
Greggz likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #2493 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah roughly, you can set the daylight setting dimmer too no?
Greggz likes this.

post #2494 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I really detest LED lights. I wish I could go back to my strip lights where I just put in Planted Grow Light bulbs. They made my plants and my fish both look beautiful. These LED lights make everything look ugly and flat. Im sure my problem is that I cant program them correctly. Why does everything have to be so technical? [sigh] Am I showing my age? Sounding like the typical old person saying :"what happened to the good ole' days"

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobblebonk View Post
Yeah roughly, you can set the daylight setting dimmer too no?
I dont know- maybe. Ill get out the manual and see.
Greggz likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #2495 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
I really detest LED lights. I wish I could go back to my strip lights where I just put in Planted Grow Light bulbs. They made my plants and my fish both look beautiful. These LED lights make everything look...flat.
A discus keeper complaining about having flat fish. What's the world coming to?!
Greggz, Immortal1, celadon and 2 others like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #2496 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
A discus keeper complaining about having flat fish. What's the world coming to?!
LOL! I know, right...
Greggz likes this.

post #2497 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I really detest LED lights. I wish I could go back to my strip lights where I just put in Planted Grow Light bulbs. They made my plants and my fish both look beautiful. These LED lights make everything look ugly and flat.
T5HO can provide great color........................just sayin'!!
Discusluv likes this.

------------------
post #2498 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
T5HO can provide great color........................just sayin'!!
What brand is the fixture you use?
Greggz likes this.

post #2499 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
What brand is the fixture you use?
No fixture.

All individual components mounted up inside the canopy.

But really any fixture would do. Biggest difference is individual reflectors (more PAR) or one large reflector.

But here is the thing. With a shallow tank, T5 will be quite strong.

What size tank is this and what are the goals? Are you going high tech?? If so, welcome aboard.

------------------
post #2500 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
No fixture.

All individual components mounted up inside the canopy.

But really any fixture would do. Biggest difference is individual reflectors (more PAR) or one large reflector.

But here is the thing. With a shallow tank, T5 will be quite strong.

What size tank is this and what are the goals? Are you going high tech?? If so, welcome aboard.
Actually, no, not going high tech. I would, but all my tanks have discus or expensive fish that I do not want to be risking with my lack of knowledge of technology, complex water chemistry ( Im talking about fertilization and adjustments- this is complex to me), and Co2.

Edit: this tank is a 30 gallon. But, I have 2 -30 gallons that I would like to revert back to T5. Each tank has a discus breeding pair.

This light is probably just too powerful for a low-tech tank.

My goal for this tank is really to be able to grow low-medium light plants. But, I really miss the beautiful colors that I used to be able to bring out in my fish with the strip lights/lamps that I used to use. It appears that using LED, you can grow plants better, but compromise the beauty of your fish. Well, that isn't true is it? Your plants and fish both are beautiful under the T5.

I started using LED 2 years ago when set up the 180 gallon. I left the choice of lights up to my husband because he wanted to "upgrade" my filters, lights, etc...
I went from HOB filters to canister filters and T5's to LEDS. The canister filters I can see the benefits. The lights- you need to be able to work with adjusting them, playing with them...

He is pretty good with most technology, but not necessarily these lights that have been put on all my tanks.
Greggz likes this.

post #2501 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Not really sure what my PAR is. The tank the plants would go in has a 24-36" Current Plus Pro. The substrate is sloped from 10"-14" from light.
Quote:
It looks to be about 90 PAR at 15 inches.
Quote:
I really detest LED lights. I wish I could go back to my strip lights where I just put in Planted Grow Light bulbs. They made my plants and my fish both look beautiful. These LED lights make everything look ugly and flat. Im sure my problem is that I cant program them correctly. Why does everything have to be so technical? [sigh] Am I showing my age? Sounding like the typical old person saying :"what happened to the good ole' days"

Bump:
I dont know- maybe. Ill get out the manual and see.
24-36 inches? Would these be the 4011s? I run two of those. See my adventures with @Greggz ' par meter starting from this post of my journal.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11181551

90PAR at 14 inches is about correct extrapolating from the readings I was getting at 12 inches. So they weren't fibbing on their site

So any 'beauty' of lighting I've learned comes a lot from the PUR rating and we had a pretty long discussion about that in the subsequent posts following the first one linked above so you can go reading onwards if you're bored

The settings that give me a good low light and pretty appearance is (and how I get some of my more colorful full tank shots)..
W20, R75, G1, B50

Sometimes I play with W at 25 or 30 to help with grabbing pics of fish and to bring in a little more of an orange tint to some plants. Maybe green would work a little there too, but stick close to that and it should work.

This is @Immortal1 's input on the conversation and I feel it was relevant as he revealed his settings.
"I do have a Satellite Plus Pro on my low tech 20g tank. I think I have the whites at 30-40%, red at 100% and blue at maybe 70%. I get a decent color in the tank, decent growth, and a decent PUR number."
It's quite similar and I may have been inspired by his settings actually.

you can also absolutely choose this as your 'daylight' setting. I think all you have to do is set it up to those settings manually and press and hold the daylight preset button and it'll set it as that. sort of like car radio presets.
Greggz and Discusluv like this.

post #2502 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
24-36 inches? Would these be the 4011s? I run two of those. See my adventures with @Greggz ' par meter starting from this post of my journal.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11181551

90PAR at 14 inches is about correct extrapolating from the readings I was getting at 12 inches. So they weren't fibbing on their site

So any 'beauty' of lighting I've learned comes a lot from the PUR rating and we had a pretty long discussion about that in the subsequent posts following the first one linked above so you can go reading onwards if you're bored

The settings that give me a good low light and pretty appearance is (and how I get some of my more colorful full tank shots)..
W20, R75, G1, B50

Sometimes I play with W at 25 or 30 to help with grabbing pics of fish and to bring in a little more of an orange tint to some plants. Maybe green would work a little there too, but stick close to that and it should work.

This is @Immortal1 's input on the conversation and I feel it was relevant as he revealed his settings.
"I do have a Satellite Plus Pro on my low tech 20g tank. I think I have the whites at 30-40%, red at 100% and blue at maybe 70%. I get a decent color in the tank, decent growth, and a decent PUR number."
It's quite similar and I may have been inspired by his settings actually.

you can also absolutely choose this as your 'daylight' setting. I think all you have to do is set it up to those settings manually and press and hold the daylight preset button and it'll set it as that. sort of like car radio presets.
Thank you so much for this! I will definitely read through the thread and get my manual out to switch the settings. Your tank shots and @Immortal1 's are always amazing- would love to even get halfway there with nice fish colors. Without Co2 my plants are limited, but I keep trying.
Phil Edwards, Greggz and ipkiss like this.

post #2503 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If it's any help, I've never run all six sockets of my T5 fixture for more than a day or two. I've typically only run two or three sockets, sometimes four if the planting required it. I really only got the larger fixture to have options for moving bulbs around for different coverage schemes. A four bulb fixture running only two bulbs may be a good option for you if you want to keep low to medium light species.
Greggz likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #2504 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think I am bouncing off the bottom for my macro dosing.

I noticed Pantanal looking weak on Monday. Should have got a picture, but tops looked smaller and color looked pale, just generally weak.

Tossed in an additional 7.5 ppm NO3 and 3 ppm PO4 Monday night and tonight it looks much better. It is one plant that seems to love the macros. Doesn't mean I am bumping things way up, but like I said might be a bit too low right now.

------------------

Last edited by Greggz; 06-10-2019 at 12:49 AM. Reason: typo
post #2505 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

Phew. Was getting a little worried here. It's like u guys were starting to defy logic. I thought I read someone claiming that u were only dosing 5ppm N for the entire week?!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode