Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (New PAR reading...6-15-2019) - Page 166 - The Planted Tank Forum
 5406Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2476 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Woh! Nice update!

Is this a saltwater tank?!?!
LOL!

Yeah even after I explain everything they pretty much have no idea of what they have seen......just lots of head shaking and that "huh?" look on their face.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2477 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Alright back to plants.

As I was performing maintenance today, I was thinking that if most were to watch what I do to my plants during a good mass reduction, I think they might faint.

Today I took out a massive bush of Rotala Macranda Variegated. After a period of time, it just throws off too many side shoots, gets way too thick, and in general starts choking on itself. Only solution is to beat it down and thin it out.

It's true of many species. The thing is, after a merciless beating down, and having some more breathing room, growth and color will explode. Just something that needs to be done from time to time.

The ich episode is behind me, which is a good thing. And as noted I have some new species of juveniles growing out. Rainbow wise the tank is about as young as it has ever been. Should be fun watching how they develop.

What is the larger Crypt? So pretty, and actually something I could grow in my low-tech tank.
Greggz likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #2478 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
What is the larger Crypt? So pretty, and actually something I could grow in my low-tech tank.
Not a crypt, barclaya longifolia. In lower light/nutrients color will go more bronzíish and it will also stretch out longer leaves, many about 2ft long.
Greggz and Discusluv like this.

post #2479 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:14 PM
Planted Member

Quote:

Today I took out a massive bush of Rotala Macranda Variegated. After a period of time, it just throws off too many side shoots, gets way too thick, and in general starts choking on itself. Only solution is to beat it down and thin it out.

We currently trim very differently it seems....I just crammed over 100 stems of regular Macrandra as tight as I could behind a rock. I do plan to top it and let it double itís mass with new growth though. I find if trimmed at the same time, the new growth finds a way to not be shaded.

Just an example of another thing that can be dealt with many different ways. I will say giving them space and always replanting the tops will allow for the largest growth. Everything seems to hit weed status once itís happy.

Tank looks great and I loved those new fish pics a few post back.
Greggz likes this.

post #2480 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy8888 View Post
We currently trim very differently it seems....I just crammed over 100 stems of regular Macrandra as tight as I could behind a rock. I do plan to top it and let it double itís mass with new growth though. I find if trimmed at the same time, the new growth finds a way to not be shaded.

Just an example of another thing that can be dealt with many different ways. I will say giving them space and always replanting the tops will allow for the largest growth. Everything seems to hit weed status once itís happy.

It really is interesting the different trimming styles. I typical do what Gregg does, however for a few stems in my tank, Rotala Indica for example, I am trying the top, leave the roots, and replant to get a bushier growth.

Just another fun thing to experiment with!
Hendy8888 and Greggz like this.

|

post #2481 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:22 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Alright back to plants.

As I was performing maintenance today, I was thinking that if most were to watch what I do to my plants during a good mass reduction, I think they might faint.

It's true of many species. The thing is, after a merciless beating down, and having some more breathing room, growth and color will explode. Just something that needs to be done from time to time.

The ich episode is behind me, which is a good thing. And as noted I have some new species of juveniles growing out. Rainbow wise the tank is about as young as it has ever been. Should be fun watching how they develop.

Great looking FTS Gregg - really like how your recent hack job turned out. I now agree 100% with a ruthless "volume reduction" effort. The last few sessions with my tank have taught me a lot about how much better the groupings look but reducing overall mass. Had to chuckle last time - the 5 stems of Bacopa Carolinina must have had 15+ side shoots in total. All ended up in the trash. Will have to post a pic tomorrow of my Pogo K - pretty funny looking.

Also, really liking how the Barclaya is looking in your tank - definite focal point!
Greggz and Grobbins48 like this.

post #2482 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

@Greggz- I have a plant question. I was looking at staurogyne porto velho and bihir. Is this a plant that could grow in bright light with no Co2? Such an interesting looking plant.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #2483 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Much depends on the plant. Even different types of Macranda need to be treated differently.

I have Rotala Macrandra Caterpillar just to the right of the driftwood along the back of the tank. It can grow into a huge messy bush and never skips a beat. I pull the whole mass out, rip off 5 or 6 inches from the root end, strip off a quarter of the mass, and shove it back in. I could also just cut it straight across with scissors and it would all grow back just fine. It can be treated rough and doesn't care.

Rotala Macranda Variegated is different. Much more delicate, and when it gets too bushy, it becomes a twisted mass that starts choking itself out. It takes a lot of care to carefully trim it down and make it happy again. It just seems to like some extra elbow room.

Therein lies some of the learning curve with plants. They respond differently, and it takes time to learn how to manage each one. Really should be more time dedicated to discussing pruning, as it's a very important piece of the planted tank puzzle.

Bump:
Quote:
@Greggz- I have a plant question. I was looking at staurogyne porto velho and bihir. Is this a plant that could grow in bright light with no Co2? Such an interesting looking plant.
I wish I could help but I don't know.

I have had a hard time with S. Repens in my tank, so no expert with the Staurogyne types. I will say I have some Bihar and it seems pretty drama free. The only issue is it wants to become a large plant, so I keep beating it down as I don't the room.

It would look great in your tank, so it might be worth a try.
Hendy8888 and Discusluv like this.

------------------
post #2484 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Not a crypt, barclaya longifolia. In lower light/nutrients color will go more bronzíish and it will also stretch out longer leaves, many about 2ft long.
Yep correct Dave.

I received this plant from @Immortal1. Every leave melted in a week or two, and then it sat in my tank for several months looking like it was dead.

I kept the bulb planted, and then low and behold one day a single leave popped out. Then another. Then another. Now it's super steady and one of my favorites.

The moral of the story is that sometimes plants take a while to transition, and you shouldn't give up too soon.
Discusluv likes this.

------------------
post #2485 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Bihar can be grown in a lo-tech environment and will not look the same.
It can be tough to get a 6-8" plant. 15-30PAR

High light and CO2 make all of the serrated edges that look really cool.

My 75G is only about 60PAR and it will reach the surface all green non-serrated leaves.
Looks like polysperma on steroids due to the size and leaf shape.
Greggz and Discusluv like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #2486 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Much depends on the plant. Even different types of Macranda need to be treated differently.

I have Rotala Macrandra Caterpillar just to the right of the driftwood along the back of the tank. It can grow into a huge messy bush and never skips a beat. I pull the whole mass out, rip off 5 or 6 inches from the root end, strip off a quarter of the mass, and shove it back in. I could also just cut it straight across with scissors and it would all grow back just fine. It can be treated rough and doesn't care.

Rotala Macranda Variegated is different. Much more delicate, and when it gets too bushy, it becomes a twisted mass that starts choking itself out. It takes a lot of care to carefully trim it down and make it happy again. It just seems to like some extra elbow room.

Therein lies some of the learning curve with plants. They respond differently, and it takes time to learn how to manage each one. Really should be more time dedicated to discussing pruning, as it's a very important piece of the planted tank puzzle.

Bump:
I wish I could help but I don't know.

I have had a hard time with S. Repens in my tank, so no expert with the Staurogyne types. I will say I have some Bihar and it seems pretty drama free. The only issue is it wants to become a large plant, so I keep beating it down as I don't the room.

It would look great in your tank, so it might be worth a try.
I think I will, Ill look and see if any for sale in the member section.
Greggz likes this.

post #2487 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:53 AM
Planted Member

I thought that might be the case with the variegated. I agree it does take alot of time to learn what each plant does and how it responds to trimming. There's something to be said about using relatively easy plants when first starting out, AR mini vs Variegated for example.

Either way I like how your tank almost always looks it's best due to your trimming method.
Greggz likes this.

post #2488 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Bihar can be grown in a lo-tech environment and will not look the same.
It can be tough to get a 6-8" plant. 15-30PAR

High light and CO2 make all of the serrated edges that look really cool.

My 75G is only about 60PAR and it will reach the surface all green non-serrated leaves.
Looks like polysperma on steroids due to the size and leaf shape.
Not really sure what my PAR is. The tank the plants would go in has a 24-36" Current Plus Pro. The substrate is sloped from 10"-14" from light.

post #2489 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Either way I like how your tank almost always looks it's best due to your trimming method.
I would guess most who enter this hobby have no idea how much trimming/pruning is involved. Learning how to grow plants is one thing, managing the mass and the presentation is another.

Bump:
Quote:
Not really sure what my PAR is. The tank the plants would go in has a 24-36" Current Plus Pro. The substrate is sloped from 10"-14" from light.
Wish I could help, no experience with that light. Maybe someone else knows?
Discusluv likes this.

------------------
post #2490 of 2535 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I would guess most who enter this hobby have no idea how much trimming/pruning is involved. Learning how to grow plants is one thing, managing the mass and the presentation is another.

Bump:
Wish I could help, no experience with that light. Maybe someone else knows?
It looks to be about 90 PAR at 15 inches.
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode