Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (New PAR reading...6-15-2019) - Page 12 - The Planted Tank Forum
 5444Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 2550 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:04 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks like you already have some help :-)
Floor color looks great. Just picturing in my mind the new tank location, new comfy chairs with some appropriate end tables, and a great sound system.
Should be impressive and worthy of many jealous comments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 2550 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Looks like you already have some help :-)
Floor color looks great. Just picturing in my mind the new tank location, new comfy chairs with some appropriate end tables, and a great sound system.
Should be impressive and worthy of many jealous comments.
Thanks Linn. I'm hoping to create a very nice relaxed environment, and I'd really like to spend more time just watching my tank. I'm also a bit of a music collector, so combining the two seems like a good idea.

As to my helper, that's my pit bull mix Fowler. It would actually go faster without his help, as gets in my way and sticks by my side the whole time. But he is a lovable pain in the a$$, so what can you do??

And like you predicted, just about to pop the Advil!!

------------------
post #168 of 2550 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phokey View Post
I sure do miss that tank and the world I created.

Love the build and always loved Rainbows, might jack the C02 meter for my new 120 build I gots going on since the bubbles... they are a blur.

-Scott
Scott that's a cool video of your reef tank. That must have been tough to give away.

I've been following your 120G build, and look forward to seeing where you go with it.

------------------

post #169 of 2550 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:01 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Scott that's a cool video of your reef tank. That must have been tough to give away.

I've been following your 120G build, and look forward to seeing where you go with it.
Yea, it was rough to see them go, I couldn't even be there when they tore it all down it was that upsetting for me. I get attached to all gods creatures and letting them go was the hardest part but I did my best to make sure it went to good hands. At that time in my life I was busy healing up after being hit by a car on my bike (hit & run) so I was unable to do the work required to pack it all up so I think I did the right thing.

Your build has me wanting to put rainbows in this thing but I've always felt they were just a tad bit too aggressive. After watching your videos I've been re-thinking this and the only issue is that they might eat the scrimps. I've done monster tanks (Oscars, Snakeheads, Gars, Paco's, etc) and multiple African cichlid tanks from hell and vowed to never go back due to all the drama/killings. The gars were cool but foot long Snakeheads are flat out evil.

Thanks for the props on the video, I built that tank to keep my cat amused while I was out training for MTB racing and Ironman's...

I miss her too but our dogs have filled in that void in my heart and some... checkout The Rucky and the Pups video as well as the Chicopee with Double Dee one for some off road fun. The Gauna video is cool too and the surprise Octopus sighting really freaked me out since I had no idea it was even there, I was just checking out what the grouper was up too and then it just appeared. I believe they share a symbiotic relationship of sorts. Be sure to crank the music!.

Unless you chime in otherwise, I'm ordering the C02 meter today to help gauge the C02 rate.

-Scott
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.

Last edited by Phokey; 12-31-2016 at 05:34 AM. Reason: you are'd
post #170 of 2550 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phokey View Post
You're build has me wanting to put rainbows in this thing but I've always felt they were just a tad bit too aggressive. After watching your videos I've been re-thinking this and the only issue is that they might eat the scrimps.

Unless you chime in otherwise, I'm ordering the C02 meter today to help gauge the C02 rate.

-Scott
Scott, Rainbows are not aggressive. They spar, but no one gets hurt. Now as to the shrimp, I don't keep any for that reason. They have a strong hunting instinct, and I would guess it could be a problem.

And I highly recommend the CO2 flow meter. For a large tank, to me it's something very worthwhile.

------------------

Last edited by Greggz; 12-31-2016 at 12:27 AM. Reason: typo
post #171 of 2550 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So I got all the floor I could get down right up to the tank by noon today. At 1:00, I decided it's go time. I figured if I busted hard, I could get done in time for the Orange Bowl (go BLUE!!). At right about 8:00 I finally sat down.

Well, everything went exactly according to plan. I actually moved the tank myself. Once I got all the substrate and water out, I was able to “walk” it onto a drop cloth, and then slid it across the room into place. My wife thought I was nuts, and she is probably right.

Fish and flora all seem a little bewildered, but they should be back to normal soon. I’ll be checking for any ammonia spike for the next few days, and perform water changes as needed.

After things settle down a bit, I’ll probably do some rearranging. For now, I just wanted to get everything back in the tank. Still have a little more floor to lay, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

So here’s how it went. A whole tank of plants in the cooler.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Plants.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	704602

Plants out of the tank.

Name:	2 plants gone.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	704610

Fish in the spare 70G. Catching those Rainbows was exhausting!!!

Name:	3 fish hold.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	704618

Tank empty. It took a lot longer than I thought to remove the 5 buckets of Black Diamond BS.

Name:	4 tank empty.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	704626

Tank moved and filling.

Name:	5 tank moved.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	704634

Water’s pretty cloudy. Two water changes and it cleared up pretty quick.

Name:	6 cloudy water.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	704642

Fish back in. Much easier to catch them from the 70G than the 120G.

Name:	7 cloudy.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	704650

And there she sits!!!!!!!!!

Name:	8 full tank.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	704658

------------------

Last edited by Greggz; 01-04-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo
post #172 of 2550 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice! You must be beat.
post #173 of 2550 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:25 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
Looks like you made short work of it! That's a nice room too, should be a very pleasant atmosphere.

post #174 of 2550 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:28 AM
Captain

Congrats on the successful move! Tank looks very nice in its new home. Still amazed you had 5 buckets of sand in there.
So, on your second dose of Anvil:-)

post #175 of 2550 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
Nice! You must be beat.
You have got that right. It is not easy to move a large tank. And I'm feeling it right about now.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Looks like you made short work of it! That's a nice room too, should be a very pleasant atmosphere.
Thanks Burr740.....You must have went through a similar situation when you moved to the larger tank, so you know what it takes.

And I was thinking of you today as I was replanting for over an hour. It must have been an even more tedious job for you!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Congrats on the successful move! Tank looks very nice in its new home. Still amazed you had 5 buckets of sand in there.
So, on your second dose of Anvil:-)
Getting that substrate out of there seemed like it would never end. It was much more than I thought.

I'm right now trying to find the right balance of Advil & Scotch to soothe my aching back!!!

Bump:

------------------
post #176 of 2550 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
very brave! im to chicken to do all that work! lol but I mean if it came down to it... Anyway your tank looks almost exactly alike it did before, just needs to grow out again a bit more! Also floor looks A+
post #177 of 2550 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
very brave! im to chicken to do all that work! lol but I mean if it came down to it... Anyway your tank looks almost exactly alike it did before, just needs to grow out again a bit more! Also floor looks A+
Thanks for the kind words. The tank looks much better today, as the plants have unfolded and are seeking the light. I did thin things out and cut a lot of plants back, but it should fill in again soon.

On a side note, slight ammonia spike (.25) as expected. Nothing yet to worry about.

And when I was netting the fish, found 7 Otto's that I thought were dead or eaten. I guess they are pretty good at hiding, because I haven't seen them in months and months.

Also happy to report floor is done!!

------------------
post #178 of 2550 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 12:20 AM
Captain

Look forward to some pics of the completed relaxation room - chairs & sound system along with "fish tv" :-)

post #179 of 2550 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Congratulations on the successful tank move and great to hear everything went according to plan. For some reason that never happens for me, but I'm going to chalk that up to simple, bad planning . That is very cool that you found fish that you didn't realize were still there! I'm sure you cannot wait to complete the flooring project now.
post #180 of 2550 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, it's been a battle, but somehow I managed to finish the room. Today was mostly running wires, putting in a new ceiling fan, and taking out a huge load of trash for pick up tomorrow.

Still have some follow up, like new window treatment, fill up the bookcases, general decor type stuff. But finally the heavy lifting is done.

And it looks like the ammonia spike from moving the tnak is already over, back to a zero reading today. Fish and plants seem much better now, and have settled back in to normal.

If you recall, the plan was to create an environment to better enjoy two of my favorite things, my tank and listening to music. I'm happy to report everything came out just as planned.

So here's today's update.

Full shot of the den.

Name:	Pic 1 Whole Room.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	705826

View from the sofa, where I am sitting right now. Speakers are well broken in Definitive Technology BP7004's. Way too much for the 12' x 14' space, but that was kind of the idea. If desired, they can literally shake the room.

Name:	Pic 2 Tank Front.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	705842

New sofa delivered today. And it's motorized for full reclining comfort.

Name:	Pic 4 Sofa.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	705858

77,000 songs on tap for music enjoyment.

Name:	Pic 6 Media.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	705834

Really need to find the some appropriate art for over the sofa. I would go with this, as I think it captures the essence I what I was going for..........but I think the wife would use veto power!Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 7 Blown Away.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	705818

------------------

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode