Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (Dosing Update 4-7-2019) - Page 155 - The Planted Tank Forum
 4844Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2311 of 2320 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You've given me an idea with your kH levels, I've been running at 1.5 and resulting in a about 43ppm of K. So bringing just that down to 1kH will give me a 7 point drop in K levels to 36.14. However if I then drop NO3 dosing from 30 to 20 NO3, that gets me down a bit more to 29K. Once my pre measured RO kh/gh mix is done in 2 week batches I'll try the change to a lower K and NO3 level.
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2320 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
You've given me an idea with your kH levels, I've been running at 1.5 and resulting in a about 43ppm of K. So bringing just that down to 1kH will give me a 7 point drop in K levels to 36.14. However if I then drop NO3 dosing from 30 to 20 NO3, that gets me down a bit more to 29K. Once my pre measured RO kh/gh mix is done in 2 week batches I'll try the change to a lower K and NO3 level.
That sounds like a good plan to try.

I went the extra step using MgNO3 for Nitrate, but don't know if it's necessary. I just went all in.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you. Should be interesting.
chayos00 and Ken Keating1 like this.

------------------
post #2313 of 2320 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
That sounds like a good plan to try.

I went the extra step using MgNO3 for Nitrate, but don't know if it's necessary. I just went all in.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you. Should be interesting.
Yeah, I'm going to go that other lower route once I need to order more of any ferts.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

Last edited by chayos00; 04-09-2019 at 05:43 AM.

post #2314 of 2320 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Here's a pic of the L. Atlantis for you @Maryland Guppy.

I tried but couldn't really capture the subtle details. Looks more monochromatic in pics, but looks more painted with colors in person. And this is not near the surface yet, so I am guessing will change as it grows.

Man, that looks darn good, Linn must of sent me the mini version!

post #2315 of 2320 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Saturday is maintenance day. Was out of town most of the week, so things were left to grow wild. A few groupings have become too thick, and it was time for a serious trim.

Here's things after a week of untouched growth. I've mentioned growth is slower with the new dosing, but make no mistake, things are still growing.

Getting the battle station ready.............

The Limno Aromatica Mini is a thick mass and starting to grow into the Macranda. Time to pull it all and thin it out.

It's a pretty good size bunch once you get it out of the tank.

While it's out, a good time to vac the area. When it becomes a thick bush, it traps a lot of debris. So I go at the area pretty hard when it's out of the tank.

I also pulled and trimmed back the Macranda Variegated, Bacopa Colorata, Pantanal, Pogo Kimberly, Macranda Butterfly, and maybe a few more too.

Here is the Pogo K......when it gets big those stalks get thick!

Here's the battle station about half way through. About a gallon of plant mass removed, and as you can see, it can get a bit messy.

Pulling lots of groupings stirs up a lot of debris into the water column, hence a serious sized water change to remove as much as I can. The drift wood comes out every week and gets a preventative spray of a Metricide/Hydrogen Peroxide mix, along with all the visible equipment.

About 2 1/2 hours later and the tank has been tamed. Restored some space between the species and removed a LOT of mass. Sometimes you just have to beat things back hard for the longer term well being of everything. That day was today, and should make the next few maintenance days a bit easier.

------------------
post #2316 of 2320 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
The Limno Aromatica Mini is a thick mass and starting to grow into the Macranda. Time to pull it all and thin it out.
This is why my thoughts moved to a "street" of this species.
It can also remain untouched for quite some time.
Greggz likes this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #2317 of 2320 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
This is why my thoughts moved to a "street" of this species.
It can also remain untouched for quite some time.
Limno Aromatica Mini is one of the least fussy plants I have ever kept. You can't stop it from growing and branching.

Even in a street, over time it will spread and start growing into whatever is next to it. But it does take time. No weekly maintenance like some fast growing stems. But once it gets really thick, I have found it's best to just beat it down and remove about 1/2 the mass. Then it's good for probably a couple of months before it gets out of control again.

------------------

Last edited by Greggz; 04-15-2019 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typo
post #2318 of 2320 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:09 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Kinda amazing how much time you can spend on a given Saturday trimming plants and doing just general maintenance. I "try" to do trimming sometime on Saturday and water changes on Sunday but that does not always happen. I also "intend" on doing water changes on the 75g, 40g, 20g, 5g & 5g.... yeah, that doesn't always happen on Sunday, lol.
That was an impressive jungle you had there before the trim. Your 8th pic above is a very good example of what "maintenance" day looks like - most rookies to planted tanks think there is very little work to be done - LOL. Will try to get some pics up tomorrow of my hot mess - should be interesting, I have a new phone. Wonder where the "antique" filter is?

post #2319 of 2320 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
how often do you have to trim the pantanal? just got some from joe today and was wondering how fast it is
Greggz and burr740 like this.

post #2320 of 2320 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingAlongWithTsing View Post
how often do you have to trim the pantanal? just got some from joe today and was wondering how fast it is
It's very, very fast. Close to an inch a day.

It gets pulled and trimmed every week.

If I didn't love the look of it so much, it would be gone.

Looking forward to seeing how it does in your tank.
burr740 likes this.

------------------

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode