Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank (Bow Pics 9-27) - Page 231 - The Planted Tank Forum
 8633Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #3451 of 3520 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Might be my favorite plant right now.......Cabomba Furcata.
How would you compare the aerial roots to basic green Cabomba?
Greggz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3520 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
How would you compare the aerial roots to basic green Cabomba?
I don't have green Cabomba, but the Furcata does get some aerial roots.

It grows fast, so when I pull it to trim I remove them.

But worth it, as it's a drama free burst of color in the tank.
burr740 and Deanna like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
post #3453 of 3520 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I don't have green Cabomba, but the Furcata does get some aerial roots.

It grows fast, so when I pull it to trim I remove them.

But worth it, as it's a drama free burst of color in the tank.
Thanks. Green Cabomba aerial roots can get pretty bad. However, I'm thinking the red might provide a good "volunteer crop" type of look if a single stem is placed within my Ambula (which doesn't have many aerial roots). Maybe the Furcata aerial roots would be hidden by the Ambula. If you're inclined, I'd appreciate a picture of what you think are the heaviest air roots before you trim the next time they appear. If you do, please be sure to tag me.
Greggz likes this.

post #3454 of 3520 (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Just a few pics from today.........

Melanotaenia Affinis Pagwi

Chilatherina Alleni Wapoga River

Melanotaenia Boesemani Lake Aytinjo

Glossolepis Dorityi

Melanotaenia Trifasciata Goyder River

Melanotaenia Herbertaxelrodi

Melanotaenia Lacustris

Melanotaenia Trifasciata Pappan Creek

Melanotaenia Picta

Melanotaenia Splendida Upper Katherine River

Glossolepis Wanamensis

---
---

Last edited by Greggz; 09-27-2020 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Add Bow Names
post #3455 of 3520 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 05:43 PM
Planted Member

Wish you’d name them for us as you post... :-)
Greggz and Econde like this.

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:

Marcia
post #3456 of 3520 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
Wish you’d name them for us as you post... :-)
Good point.

Edited post with all the names above.
zivvel, Tanks! and Econde like this.

---
---
post #3457 of 3520 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 07:19 PM
Algae Grower

I love your tank, my ultimate goal is to set up a big rainbow tank. I can't do it right now because I'm planning of some major home renovation next spring, but after that it's on. Your stand is beautiful too, looks heirloom quality. I'm a woodworker myself and I've been thinking that when I do get that big tank I should build my own stand. I'll definitely be referencing this thread when the time comes.
Greggz likes this.
post #3458 of 3520 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB172 View Post
I love your tank, my ultimate goal is to set up a big rainbow tank. I can't do it right now because I'm planning of some major home renovation next spring, but after that it's on. Your stand is beautiful too, looks heirloom quality. I'm a woodworker myself and I've been thinking that when I do get that big tank I should build my own stand. I'll definitely be referencing this thread when the time comes.
Thanks for the kind words.

The stand was built like furniture. All hardwood 1x boards. Basic face frame construction with pocket jig and glue. Most build 2 x 4 frame then "skin" it. My "skin' is the frame. Everything visible is hardwood, no plywood.

The nice thing is being able to build things exactly the way you want it. My stand is a bit taller than most, which I prefer when standing in front of the tank. And making the canopy functional for your needs is key as well. The "flipper" doors are great for daily feeding, but you also need to be able to open it up fully for maintenance.

When you get started, feel free to reach out anytime.

---
---
post #3459 of 3520 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 07:38 AM
Planted Member

Thanks for the labels!
Greggz likes this.

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:

Marcia
post #3460 of 3520 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I made kind of a rookie mistake recently.

A few days ago I was looking over the tank, and noticed some uncharacteristic slight stunting and algae on old growth. Sat there and stared for a few minutes, then my first thought was to double check CO2.

Well turns out I had unplugged the power going to the solenoid during a water change three days earlier.........and forgot to plug it back in! I unplug it all the time as I don't want a gas buildup while the filters are off during a water change.

Surprisingly, things did not look too terribly bad. Like I said, some algae on old growth, and slight stunting of some plants. Imagine it could have got worse if left for much longer.

So looks like a lot trimming and general clean up of things this weekend!

---
---

Last edited by Greggz; 10-02-2020 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo
post #3461 of 3520 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 01:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
I do that type of thing all the time, most often with forgetting to plug my filter back. Good news is there was no effect on my tank with the filter unplugged sometimes for several days. I have very little surface movement so didn't notice.

On the AR Mini, how tall does yours grow untrimmed? I bought some TC AR Mini and it was clearly purchased and labeled as Mini, but untrimmed it grows upwards of 7", so not what I wanted. Tank looking good, BTW.
Greggz likes this.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #3462 of 3520 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
On the AR Mini, how tall does yours grow untrimmed? I bought some TC AR Mini and it was clearly purchased and labeled as Mini, but untrimmed it grows upwards of 7", so not what I wanted. Tank looking good, BTW.
I am not the one to ask about any AR.

For some reason, I have just never done well with it.

But with the change to soil, thought I would give it a go again. Have both AR Mini and Variegated right now. Both are fairly new to the tank, so really don't know about how tall either might get. Or even if they will be keepers.

In the past they have always been very prone to algae on old growth. Not sure exactly why? Too much light? Too many ferts? Too much bio load from the Bows? Heck, I don't know.

And right now it's too early to tell if things will be any different. Both went through usual rough patch after travel and going into a new tank. I've been leaving them in place to let them establish. I did pull one and the root system was getting very well developed and nice and white, which should be a good sign.

But really too early to say if things will be different this time. It's funny, I can grow a lot of "difficult" plants, but a few "easy" ones like AR and S. Repens always give me the hardest time.

One of the many mysteries of the planted tank.
Econde likes this.

---
---
post #3463 of 3520 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 02:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I bought some AR from Petland and I believe they gave me Rosanverig types. Just like @Asteroid 's AR's it's growing tall and the green tops are turning bright red. I also have some AR minis from @burr740 and just like you @Greggz , they seem to be prone to algae growth in my 22 gallon tank. I've been successful with propagating them but usually trim the older leaves that get darker with algae. My substrate is miracle gro raised garden bed and 'try' to keep my ferts at about 10-6-16 .
Greggz likes this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #3464 of 3520 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 02:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:

A few days ago I was looking over the tank, and noticed some uncharacteristic slight stunting and algae on old growth. Sat there and stared for a few minutes, then my first thought was to double check CO2.

Well turns out I had unplugged the power going to the solenoid during a water change three days earlier.........and forgot to plug it back in! I unplug it all the time as I don't was a gas buildup while the filters are off during a water change.
But you have it attached to a kasa strip?? why not just turn it off from your phone? or even better, the button on the strip for that plug? It ought to resume the regularly scheduled cycle after even if you forget to turn it back on, so at worst, you'd just lose the rest of the day.

The important thing, and the lesson to all of us, is that you did the pro move and checked co2 right away!

AR has not been good for me either. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Never too successful and finally lost.
Greggz, Immortal1 and Econde like this.

post #3465 of 3520 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
But you have it attached to a kasa strip?? why not just turn it off from your phone? or even better, the button on the strip for that plug? It ought to resume the regularly scheduled cycle after even if you forget to turn it back on, so at worst, you'd just lose the rest of the day.

The important thing, and the lesson to all of us, is that you did the pro move and checked co2 right away!

AR has not been good for me either. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Never too successful and finally lost.
Here's why I usually unplug it.

I am usually doing a water change on Saturday morning. Depending on when I start, I might not be done when the CO2 comes on at 10:00am, and likely I would not remember to shut it off with the Kasa strip. So I just unplug it and plug it back in. Has been the routine for a while now. But might have to rethink that and do like you said, just shut it off right when it comes on.

And interesting to hear others feedback on AR. It has eluded me for years. But thought I would bang my head against the wall one more time!

Maybe someone knows the secret? If so I am all ears.
Econde likes this.

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode